The discussion has moved over to Discord

Home Forums Overload Kickstarter Is it too late to give money for development?

RSS Feed
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    snyper
    Participant
    Topics: 11
    Replies: 9

Unfortunately I didn’t discover Overload until well after the kickstarter ended. Is it too late to give money to support development?

krayzkrokkrayzkrok
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 10
    Replies: 185

Since nobody has answered I guess they don’t want your money! 😉 [you could try asking them through their website contact form]

But seriously, at this late stage buying the game and getting everyone you know to considering buying the game would probably help even more. If the sales are good enough we may see a sequel to either this or even (hushed tones) Freespace 2!

TwoCablesTwoCables
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 118
    Replies: 1474

It wouldn’t be a sequel to FreeSpace 2; it would be a spiritual successor, just like how Overload is a spiritual successor to Descent.

Prepare for Overload…

SiriusSirius
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 9
    Replies: 406

Definitely more interested in an Overload 2 than a not-quite-FreeSpace, especially now that it’s clear Overload will have to make some fairly significant sacrifices that can’t just be patched over by the community.

krayzkrokkrayzkrok
    Kickstarter Backer

There are a few things people have asked for that won’t be included, but what are these fairly significant sacrifices you’re talking about? They appear to be delivering everything that was in the original pitch.

Haunted ParraspHaunted Parrasp
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 31
    Replies: 428

If I had said what Sirius did I’d have meant the mod tools.

Ship’s cat, MPSV Iberia
    Check out his original music @ http://vertigofox.bandcamp.com/

Cathy Schneider
    Overload Team
    Topics: 67
    Replies: 224

Thanks for your patience and support! You can still support Overload at some of the Kickstarter levels through BackerKit. However, we can’t combine those pledges with any purchases already spent on Steam (i.e. you would have to buy another digital copy of Overload).

That being said, what will help the success of Overload the most is getting the word out. With all the constructive feedback, the game is feeling great; we just need to put it on the radar for more people/media. We’ll have a PR push for launch, but word of mouth from everyone here is extremely helpful and appreciated!

Kickstarter Backer

When does the PR start? I’m really really curious what you’ve got planned.

Ship’s cat, MPSV Iberia

SiriusSirius
    Kickstarter Backer

If I had said what Sirius did I’d have meant the mod tools.

Yeah, along those lines. No modding, no co-op; unclear how flexible the level design tools are, but there will probably be things you could build in D2X-XL that you couldn’t in Overload, which doesn’t feel like “mission completed” to me. Good start, yes, but there is a need for a sequel – provided the market co-operates.

krayzkrokkrayzkrok
    Kickstarter Backer

Co-op wasn’t part of the original KS campaign. As for mod tools and level editor, have Revival said these are definitely not on the table? (I may have missed it) The KS campaign mentions that a level editor will be made available (presumably after release), and mod tools was a stretch goal that wasn’t reached. Sure, it would be great to see this stuff of course (and maybe we still will if it sells well), but saying Overload has made significant sacrifices doesn’t quite seem right.

Mike Kulas
    Overload Team
    Topics: 24
    Replies: 186

Level editor and clinics for backers at a certain level are happening. Mod tools goal was not reached, but we might release them anyway. It’s a certain amount of work and we have a lot left to do. We would all love to see co-op, but can’t make any promises. It will depend how the launch goes.

SiriusSirius
    Kickstarter Backer

saying Overload has made significant sacrifices doesn’t quite seem right.

This is a definition thing… “sacrifice” isn’t limited to going back on things you promised (which thankfully hasn’t happened because they know not to promise too much). At its broadest definition it’s giving up something for something else – in this case, things Revival would have liked to do in order to be able to release the game. There isn’t really any question they’ve had to do that.

siigari
    Participant
    Topics: 1
    Replies: 2

Wait, no modding?

How far does this extend?

TwoCablesTwoCables
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 118
    Replies: 1474

Wait, no modding?

He said the stretch goal for mod tools wasn’t reached but they might release them anyway, depending on how things go with everything else since they still have a lot left to do.

Prepare for Overload…

Kickstarter Backer

Wait, no modding?

I think it means stuff like custom enemies or weapons, and maybe textures or decor objects too. I hope we at least get those though so that we can polish our own levels as much as they’ve done with theirs, with all the little map-specific signs and stuff. (“Mercury Solar Lab” hehe)

Level editor itself is still a definite yes.

Ship’s cat, MPSV Iberia

Next Unread Topic:
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

Forums are currently locked.

Previous Topic: Tunnel B1 Next Topic: screen jutter with rift in VR mode with 'screen space reflections' on