The discussion has moved over to Discord

Home Forums Classic 6DOF Games Is PXO going back?

RSS Feed

Tagged: ,

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Aldemar Bernal
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 4
    Replies: 22

Since Descent 3 v1.5 might be released in the following weeks/months, is it PXO going to comeback? I guess you still have the needed stuff and since building servers in something like AWS is cheaper and faster today it’d be in theory easier and cheaper to maintain.

CDN_MerlinCDN_Merlin
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 15
    Replies: 243

I doubt it. There are ways to play D3. There is a tracker using the software Vortex.
    http://www.slyclan.de/

DarkhorseDarkhorse
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 2
    Replies: 127

I suspect there’s no budget to keep PXO operational these days. Third-party would be the way to do it

Mike Kulas
    Overload Team
    Topics: 24
    Replies: 186

parallaxonline.com probably won’t be coming back. That was sold to THQ at the time of the Volition acquisition. However, it wasn’t part of Volition — it was a separate purchase by THQ. I don’t know who, if anyone picked it up in the THQ bankruptcy. So…I have no idea of the legal status of PXO.

In any event, I don’t think we will have the time for PXO. Sorry.

Do_CheckorDo_Checkor
    Kickstarter Backer
    Replies: 12

Sent the guys of Revival a message about this topic and got a decent reply.

Thing is that many parties need to be involved – some of which nobody me be able to get hold of.

All the rest (servers, trackers, chat, code, reverse engineering, maintenance, support) could be covered easily and is ready to go.

However: At this point in time it might not be on the top of the to-do-pile of Revival as everybody should understand.

grendelgrendel
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 1
    Replies: 21

I doubt it, the PXO server machine got damaged in the move to THQ and w/ it died the code AFAIK.

Do_CheckorDo_Checkor
    Kickstarter Backer

That’s right, Grendel!

But what if all necessary counterparts have been reverse engineered, migrated to new systems / servers and would be ready to go live right now?

😉

Aldemar Bernal
    Kickstarter Backer
    Replies: 22

Do_Checkor, have all necessary counterparts been already reverse engineered?

Do_CheckorDo_Checkor
    Kickstarter Backer

My question was rather rhetorical… 😉

However: I’ll push this topic again in a few weeks, unless not demanded differently by parties who own(ed) PXO…

Obi-Wan KenobiObi-Wan Kenobi
    Participant
    Replies: 25

That would be life giving if PXO returns… Make it Happen! Hey Do_Checkor! Been a while man! I’m Gold Leader @ Vortex & Descentforum.de 🙂

Holder Of The World’s Largest Descent / Freespace Collection:
    https://playoverload.com/forums/topic/hello-there-here-a-descent-collectors-intro-8/

MobiusMobius
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 9
    Replies: 35

Good riddance. The in-game PXO thing was always awful. Thank goodness it’s gone. I hope it never comes back.

Sergeant ThorneSergeant Thorne
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 12
    Replies: 138

Not everyone liked it, Mobius, but it made playing D3 mutliplayer as easy as falling off of a log, and that’s important for newbies and people who aren’t especially computer savvy. I think the ideal scenario would be the release of the 1.5 patch, the return of PXO, and the ability for 3rd-party game browsers and websites to be able to communicate with PXO.

LotharBot
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 1
    Replies: 133

or if not the return of PXO itself, replacing it with some sort of basic server browser that can look at descent.cx and the other trackers.

Next Unread Topic:
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

Forums are currently locked.

Previous Topic: Unity code vs old school code Next Topic: Story