The discussion has moved over to Discord

Home Forums The Archive Overload Early Release Version Comments and Feedback Is there going to be use for all the weapons?

RSS Feed
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    WhitesharkWhiteshark
    Participant
    Topics: 14
    Replies: 61

I worry that the game will be too easy, and that all these weapon concepts will be in vain because anything will do in destroying the bots. Currently I’m feeling that the thunderbolt that makes the rest of the inventory pointless. It was great in the first trailer when bots could dodge it. You should keep the big damage, and slow it down a bit.

Something I would do in a heartbeat is to increase the durability of the robots. On insane difficulty I’d expect even the weakest bots to move still more and faster, don’t hesitate to make it insane! It’s cool if you force the player to get close to them often. Dogfighting bots close range works really, really well in this game. That will also make us think more on what we use from our inventory.
    Of course I don’t know what the future levels will hold, maybe it’ll be as hard as the D2 final boss used to be.

TwoCablesTwoCables
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 118
    Replies: 1474

I’ve been playing Overload pretty much every day since March 6th 2016, and I have found that there is definitely use for each weapon. Each one has its own best use and worst use. Sure, any weapon will do, but I think that’s an extremely good thing; there’s a best weapon for each situation and sometimes a best weapon for certain bots. In Descent 2, I didn’t care for the other weapons. I just use Gauss and the Quad Super Laser Cannon Level 6. In Overload, I’m enjoying all of the weapons almost equally.

They actually lowered the HP of the bots last year because many people were complaining about the HP being too high.

Prepare for Overload…

EauxcaighEauxcaigh
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 10
    Replies: 62

Thunderbolt is terribly inefficient and actually less powerful than other weapons (bot kills per second). Its real advantage is doing all that damage up front and giving you time to line up shots (increasing accuracy).

If you’re good, reflex and cyclone can give more damage with less energy in a lot of circumstances, so it’s something to strive for in getting really good at leading reflex.

Impulse has a place too being the most energy efficient and pushing back bots.

I think the usefulness of the remaining weapons should be readily apparent so I won’t go into it further. Point is, I’m not too concerned.

ViciousFluidViciousFluid
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 2
    Replies: 60

I think the usefulness of the remaining weapons should be readily apparent so I won’t go into it further.

Well put…plus there are countless examples of posts started regarding this very topic. I think alot of it comes down to opinion. For example, I don’t really like the thunderbolt at all, and rarely use it. Even back in the days of Descent 1 & 2, I rarely ever pulled out the fusion cannon (though it looked the coolest in my opinion). I also rarely use the Flak because i prefer the “feel” of the crusher instead (new favorite weapon).I only use the driller for long range action, and I’m a close range player, so it is also rarely used.

Regardless, all of the weapons definitely have a fair amount of balance, and even the ones I don’t use as often still have utility in unique situations (esp. the driller).

zero
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 12
    Replies: 19

Personally I don’t see the point of using flak if I have a crusher.

Cyclone takes awhile to destroy a robot and drains energy pretty quick, I don’t touch it.

Aside from that the other weapons have their uses. I definitely think driller and thunderbolt are the best overall weapons right now, but some people don’t even touch thunderbolt or driller so I think its all preference. ( which to me is a good sign that its pretty balanced)

rapturraptur
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 29
    Replies: 134

Cyclone seems to be pretty effective when used in conjunction with smash attacks, or to soften up clumps of bots for a devastator. Flak is almost as good in conjunction with smash, except you can’t start softening up the target until you’re close. The ++ upgrade for Flak that extends the range might improve the situation, but I haven’t gotten that one very much to practice. Overall I agree that the weapons are in a pretty good place right now.

DarkwingDivaDarkwingDiva
    Kickstarter Backer
    Replies: 346

I imagine it’s tough to balance a game for difficulty. Some say the current Insane is too difficult and some say it’s too easy. Personally, I only get about 20 kills on average on Insane, and my top record is only like 45. Seems like it’s a great challenge and sometimes I get only 10 kills before I die. I also know I’m not in the top tier of players, so if I could do that “good” on Insane, I can imagine players like Drakona and Zero thinking it might be too easy. I don’t have an opinion either way on this issue. Although if it gets much harder, I may have to go back to Ace 😉

As far as weapons. It’s tough for me to say personally, since like I said in another thread, I don’t want to comment too much on weapon balance until we get all the weapons in the game. The Thunderbolt does seem to be really good, and even though I always sucked with the Fusion in Descent, I’m always surprised by how well I do with the Thunderbolt. I do feel there is some overlap with the Crusher and Flak. Now that we have the Crusher, the flak has even more limited use then before. I do feel the weapons we have now are pretty varied and each have their uses (except the Flak now, Crusher outdoes it). Everyone seems to have their own preferred weapon (mine is the Reflex, then the Driller).

One last thing I want to touch on is SP and upgrades. Outer Moons 3 definitely seems easy on Insane, but if you play a level enough it’ll always seem easy, and we did play this level before in an unrefined state (back in the Nov Demo I think). I also wonder how upgrades change the balance of the weapons as well. Perhaps only certain upgrades need to be changed. Of course, I don’t have a strong opinion on this subject at the moment. It’ll be interesting to see how the game evolves, especially once all the weapons are in.

WhitesharkWhiteshark
    Participant

The most ridiculous thing would be to complain how hard insane is when you have four easier difficulties to choose from. The problem is not that weapons don’t have differences, but that the bots don’t provide enough challenge to make you pick the best weapon for the situation. I’m talking about the SP level, not so much of challenge mode. I’m sure later levels will provide more challenge, but at the same time you will have stronger weapons. On insane I don’t feel that the robots would be too tanky, and they seem to move less than in D1. Finally thunderbolt has other great advantages so it doesn’t have to be a sniper. I’m not asking for a big change there, but being slower would make using it more interesting.

WhitesharkWhiteshark
    Participant

People complain how d3 insane has too tanky bots when ace and hotshot provide great gameplay with d1 like durability on bots… drives me mad : ( You don’t want me to have fun with crazy challenging 6dof action?

DarkwingDivaDarkwingDiva
    Kickstarter Backer
    Replies: 346

The most ridiculous thing would be to complain how hard insane is when you have four easier difficulties to choose from. The problem is not that weapons don’t have differences, but that the bots don’t provide enough challenge to make you pick the best weapon for the situation. I’m talking about the SP level, not so much of challenge mode. I’m sure later levels will provide more challenge, but at the same time you will have stronger weapons. On insane I don’t feel that the robots would be too tanky, and they seem to move less than in D1. Finally thunderbolt has other great advantages so it doesn’t have to be a sniper. I’m not asking for a big change there, but being slower would make using it more interesting.

Yeah for SP, I can see the issue. I never considered myself a good player, but I still kinda find Insane to be a tad easy. I think as more SP missions are released in EA (there are supposed to be 5), this will become more (or less?) apparent.

EauxcaighEauxcaigh
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 10
    Replies: 62

Cyclone has a fast projectile speed and is quite efficient, second only to impulse. The 3 bolt spread limits the effective range of this weapon, but within its sweet spot the weapon is a solid pick in high-threat environments (where the extra damage over impulse is important).

Haunted ParraspHaunted Parrasp
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 31
    Replies: 428

My own two cents:
    Even with the addition of Crusher flak is still one of my top weapons — especially in enclosed levels like Centrifuge. It lets me stun a group of robots and charge through them to take them out from behind — often still with the flak itself. Crusher has a weaker stunning effect that doesn’t work on so many bots at once, and kinda leaves you open if you don’t have the rapid fire upgrade yet.
    I like cyclone for enemies like Wyvern and Hydra that try to deliberately avoid your shots because it’s more difficult for them to avoid at range than impulse or reflex.

I don’t use thunderbolt much because the charging leaves me open even more than Crusher, especially when it comes to any bot who takes more than one fully charged hit to destroy.

Ship’s cat, MPSV Iberia
    Check out his original music @ http://vertigofox.bandcamp.com/

TwoCablesTwoCables
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 118
    Replies: 1474

I don’t use thunderbolt much because the charging leaves me open even more than Crusher, especially when it comes to any bot who takes more than one fully charged hit to destroy.

And for this reason, I will continue to request some sort of a way to get an automatic fire option for Thunderbolt. I don’t know how this could be achieved, but when I use Thunderbolt in CM, I never charge my shots because I’m vulnerable while charging. Tapping rapidly ends up causing me real physical pain in my finger.

Prepare for Overload…

WhitesharkWhiteshark
    Participant

@Two Cables Always charge the weapon. It’s a lot more effective, and you are not vulnerable when you charge but quit the opposite, you can dodge freely while charging, and you only need to aim once to kill.

But if I was unclear with the topic, I only think the singleplayer is going to be too easy and not tactical in the sense that weapons would have uses. Challenge modes are definitely not too easy, but I also hope the robot horde gameplay of the challenge modes is not what will make the singleplayer hard. Dogfighting has been nailed for single or few robots, but for the current bots it’s slightly too easy. I want to be afraid of the bots to the extent that I need to use weapons that shoot behind corners, home to their targets and block the enemy path.

rapturraptur
    Kickstarter Backer
    Replies: 134

Yes, charge thunderbolt. Have a look at my Hive Hotshot video from about 5:15 for a couple minutes, and then again at about 15:30, for an example.

Next Unread Topic:
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)

Forums are currently locked.

Previous Topic: Full-Power Keyboard-Only Ass-Kicking Next Topic: VR Controller Support