The discussion has moved over to Discord

Home Forums The Archive Overload Early Release Version Comments and Feedback Is there going to be use for all the weapons?

RSS Feed
Viewing 13 posts - 16 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    DarkwingDivaDarkwingDiva
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 29
    Replies: 346

I think the Thunderbolt is good as it is. Having any kind of “rapid fire” for it would just negate the entire point of the weapon. Any kind of vulnerability while charging is the tradeoff for the power of the weapon. Having it shoot uncharged shots faster would make it just a better version of the Impulse imo. Fusion was very similar. Thankfully, there are enough weapons to have at least one of them suit everyone.

TwoCablesTwoCables
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 118
    Replies: 1474

test

Here we go again. I can’t post anything of length.

Prepare for Overload…

Haunted ParraspHaunted Parrasp
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 31
    Replies: 428

Agree with Darkwing — the fact that each of us is complaining about different weapons and liking other ones is actually a really good sign.

Ship’s cat, MPSV Iberia
    Check out his original music @ http://vertigofox.bandcamp.com/

YoshimitsuYoshimitsu
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 57
    Replies: 421

As of the recent builds I finally feel like the weapons are each in a good place. I find myself switching between all of them in different situations in challenge mode and in the singleplayer map. They all seem to do their jobs very well but of course I still have favorites (Thunderbolt/Driller). That’s not to say that they couldn’t still be tweaked and fine-tuned but I think that on the whole they are where they should be. Now if we could only get new sound effects for Reflex and Cyclone that sounded less like pissing in a snare drum… 😛

TwoCablesTwoCables
    Kickstarter Backer

As of the recent builds I finally feel like the weapons are each in a good place. I find myself switching between all of them in different situations in challenge mode and in the singleplayer map. They all seem to do their jobs very well but of course I still have favorites (Thunderbolt/Driller). That’s not to say that they couldn’t still be tweaked and fine-tuned but I think that on the whole they are where they should be. Now if we could only get new sound effects for Reflex and Cyclone that sounded less like pissing in a snare drum… 😀

I have been complaining to Revival Productions about the sound of the Reflex ever since they introduced it in the PAX West Demo. The best it ever sounded was in the August Demo. I can try to make a recording of it if you want. However, I have to admit that I have grown to prefer the new sound. It’s extremely clear, it never gets lost in the mix and upon close inspection it’s much more than just some percussive sound.

As for the Cyclone’s sound, I love it, so I can’t comment.

Prepare for Overload…

Cathy Schneider
    Overload Team
    Topics: 67
    Replies: 224

From Two Cables:

@Two Cables Always charge the weapon. It’s a lot more effective, and you are not vulnerable when you charge but quit the opposite, you can dodge freely while charging, and you only need to aim once to kill.

Yes, charge thunderbolt. Have a look at my Hive Hotshot video from about 5:15 for a couple minutes, and then again at about 15:30, for an example.

I think the issue I have with using the Thunderbolt is due to my control config (which I won’t be changing just to alleviate this one tiny little problem). For over 20 years, I have used the configuration below for mouse and keyboard (as displayed by Overload:

On the keyboard:

Slide Left: LeftArropw

Slide Right: RightArrow

Slide Up: UpArrow

Slide Down: DownArrow

Roll Left 90: Delete (above the arrow keys)

Roll Right 90: End (above the arrow keys)

Fire Weapon: RightControl

Switch Weapon: Keypad1

Switch Missile: Keypad0

Toggle Headlight: Insert (above the arrow keys)

View Map: Backspace

Smash Attack: PageDown (I also use ‘both’ combo keys so that I can do that when I feel like it)

On the mouse:

Move Fore: Mouse0 (left click)

Move Back: Mouse1 (right click)

Fire Missile: Mouse4 (the right-side button on my Intellimouse Optical)

Fire Flare: Mouse2 (middle click)

Use Boost Mouse3 (the left-side button on my Intellimouse Optical)

As you can see, I would probably need to use Mouse0 and Mouse1 for Primary and Secondary firing in order to make using the Thunderbolt much easier.

There’s also the issue of my style and the apparent way my mind works in a fight.

TwoCablesTwoCables
    Kickstarter Backer

Thank you, Cathy! That’s the post I couldn’t submit earlier, in case anyone is wondering.

Prepare for Overload…

EauxcaighEauxcaigh
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 10
    Replies: 62

If you ever feel like thunderbolt leaves you too open, remember that you can switch weapons very quickly in this game. If ever you’re caught off guard, just switch. Also, the uncharged mode deals great damage, comparable to reflex/cyclone (albeit at less efficiency), so don’t underestimate it and don’t be afraid to use it in a pinch.

Key thing here is in a pinch since thunderbolt really shines when it is charged. Also follow up with an uncharged shot immediately after your charged shot for some extra damage if you don’t think you’ll kill in one hit. This first uncharged shot has no delay.

Automatic Thunderbolt sounds bad IMO

TwoCablesTwoCables
    Kickstarter Backer

I don’t need anyone to tell me these things Eauxcaigh. That’s not the issue. The issue might be just in my style. I play faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrr better when I can stunlock the bots while I’m trying to kill them.

Also, I’m not saying that I think Overload should have an automatic fire upgrade for Thunderbolt. Yes, I would absolutely LOVE that, but I agree that it wouldn’t be a good thing for this game.

Prepare for Overload…

DarkwingDivaDarkwingDiva
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 29
    Replies: 346

Also, I’m not saying that I think Overload should have an automatic fire upgrade for Thunderbolt. Yes, I would absolutely LOVE that, but I agree that it wouldn’t be a good thing for this game.

But you kinda did though:

And for this reason, I will continue to request some sort of a way to get an automatic fire option for Thunderbolt. I don’t know how this could be achieved, but when I use Thunderbolt in CM, I never charge my shots because I’m vulnerable while charging. Tapping rapidly ends up causing me real physical pain in my finger.

Unless you changed your mind.

TwoCablesTwoCables
    Kickstarter Backer

Yeah I guess I have.

Prepare for Overload…

perth0s
    Participant
    Topics: 1
    Replies: 1

Not sure if anyone has mentioned this yet, but I thought it might be interesting if certain robots had resistance to certain weapons so sometimes you’d have to choose the best weapon given the type of encounter.

TwoCablesTwoCables
    Kickstarter Backer

Not sure if anyone has mentioned this yet, but I thought it might be interesting if certain robots had resistance to certain weapons so sometimes you’d have to choose the best weapon given the type of encounter.

Oh, I like that idea!

After I posted this, I realized there could be a problem with it: it might be something that interrupts the flow, especially in Challenge Mode. It’s very nice that all robots are equally vulnerable to every weapon, even though some bots have stronger hulls (more HP). With the way it is now, I can just keep fighting without having to really do too much thinking. It’s a beautiful and elegant simplicity.

On the other hand though, the briefing in Story Mode could tell us what each bot might be vulnerable to or what it’s least vulnerable to (thereby leaving it up to you figure out the rest). That could make each bot even more memorable.

Prepare for Overload…

Next Unread Topic:
Viewing 13 posts - 16 through 28 (of 28 total)

Forums are currently locked.

Previous Topic: Full-Power Keyboard-Only Ass-Kicking Next Topic: VR Controller Support