The discussion has moved over to Discord

Home Forums Overload Development Joystick Deadzone

RSS Feed
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Delirium
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 1
    Replies: 3

just curious if there is a way to adjust the Joystick deadzone by axis inside the demo so far or if there are plans to adjust the joystick deadzone by axis like there is in D2x. I feel like this would be a huge help (and easy to add) for people trying to fine tune and reproduce the feeling they got from the descent games…especially since many people will be having to buy new and different feeling joysticks from the old 3dpro. The current demo reacts to my Logitech very sensitively and doesn’t fly as smoothly as D1x/D2x. I’m clunking around the mines..and finding keyboard is almost more comfortable for me.

also..anyone know of a joystick that has a good hat that allows for bidirectional use? my Logitech extreme 3dpro can’t seem to handle it.

YoshimitsuYoshimitsu
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 57
    Replies: 421

It’s not a problem with your Logitech, it’s a problem with the game. I get similar issues with both my Sidewinder 3D Pro and my Saitek Cyborg. Overload really does need deeper customization of axis.

hypersonic
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 18
    Replies: 220

Deadzones should be replaced by gradual rampups. When gradually moving from center to a few millimeters out:

Deadzone: Getting no output at all, then wham, you start get a input.
    Rampup: Every tiny value used, starting out with perhaps fractions of degrees/sec rotation speed.

Only reason to use deadzone is to filter out either noise or non-zero values when the controller is centered, but that’s usually done at the firmware or driver level, not at the application level.

Delirium
    Kickstarter Backer
    Replies: 3

of course it’s a matter of preference on that..because that “noise” that needs weeding out is actually my flying haha. D2x deadzone sliders work great for me.

LotharBot
    Kickstarter Backer
    Replies: 133

anyone know of a joystick that has a good hat that allows for bidirectional use? my Logitech extreme 3dpro can’t seem to handle it.

I recently switched from the Logitech E3DPro to the Thrustmaster T16000M. It’s a far superior stick. I did need to 3D print a ring to go around the hat switch, because my thumb kept sliding off otherwise, but it works great in all four Descents plus Overload.

Next Unread Topic:
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

Forums are currently locked.

Previous Topic: August 17, 2016: Week 15 Next Topic: New 6DOF game "EVERSPACE"