The discussion has moved over to Discord

Home Forums Community Hijinks and Random Stuff Joystick is wearing out. :( Suggestions?

RSS Feed

Tagged: ,

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Entroper
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 4
    Replies: 9

So I’m on my third Logitech Extreme 3D Pro, and it’s starting to die on me. The other two started showing inaccuracies on the twist axis, but on this one, the base buttons are no longer reading presses. I’m not really complaining, it’s a super cheap joystick and I’ve been using them for well over 10 years, so going through 3 in that time isn’t the worst thing in the world.

Still, I’d like to look at other options now. What do you guys use?

YoshimitsuYoshimitsu
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 57
    Replies: 421

I’m using an old Microsoft Sidewinder 3D Pro in my right hand (converted to USB by Grendel’s adapter)

In my left hand I have a Saitek Cyborg Graphite.

Neither is new but they work well for me. The other popular recommendation for an affordable modern stick is the Thrustmaster T.16000M. I tried one and hated the button layout for my particular control scheme but the motion feels great and when my cyborg eventually dies I’ll probably get one for my left hand.

Xeme
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 3
    Replies: 48

I am actually really surprised how many people use a joystick… I have had them, but they have never really worked for me. I am not sure… I started looking at the (cheapest) 3DConnexcion after one person was pressing for compatibility information about it. I guess that is not helpful at the moment.

StatiCStatiC
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 6
    Replies: 89

Back in the 90’s I used to go through Thrustmaster FCS and pedal joysticks like crazy. The potentiometers that sense the axis movement would wear out after a few months of daily intense playing. After going through 4 of them I finally switched to CH Products HOTAS setup and never had a problem since then. I still have the original ones I bought back then that I use to this day.

I am glad some joysticks are starting to use different tech instead of using brushes swiping a resistive surface to sense movement.

YoshimitsuYoshimitsu
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 57
    Replies: 421

The Sidewinder 3D Pro is somewhat unique in that it actually has an optical sensor instead of pots. This means that mine is perfectly accurate despite being 20+ years old and getting it second hand (ebay).

The T.16000M uses hall effect sensors so it’s axis should also be more reliable.

CDN_MerlinCDN_Merlin
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 15
    Replies: 243

3D Pro here with Grendel’s adapter.

LotharBot
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 1
    Replies: 133

I just switched to a Thurstmaster T16000M. I needed to 3D print a ring around the hat switch so my thumb doesn’t slide off, but other than that it’s a really good stick.

d3jaked3jake
    Kickstarter Backer
    Replies: 118

I use a SW 3D Pro with Grendel’s adapter, and an N52.

I would hazard a guess that the majority of players used a joystick. That said, there are quite a few that use mouse+kb, or kb-only.

ionized
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 1
    Replies: 23

I’m torn between using a joystick or a mouse (+kb). Can aim better with the mouse but can’t dogfight as well with it.

Anyone tried a trackball?

I’ve tried those logitech sticks and really didn’t like ’em. The Thrustmaster 1600(?) looks alright.

d3jaked3jake
    Kickstarter Backer
    Replies: 118

Mouse is doable, but, generally it’ll limit your movements by cramming more controls on your other hand. Using something like an N52 would help out.

Yo0u can buy a cheap joystick from Walmart (make sure it has a twist axis), and I can give you a basic kb config for it. Give it a spin, and then try out mouse+kb.

Next Unread Topic:
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

Forums are currently locked.

Previous Topic: Descent Discord Server Next Topic: "More Difficult" build feedback