The discussion has moved over to Discord

Home Forums Overload Development Joystick support in Overload

RSS Feed

This topic contains 32 replies, has 25 voices, and was last updated by  hypersonic 23 Jun 2018 @ 7:34pm.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 33 total)
  • Author

Matt Toschlog
    Overload Team
    Topics: 22
    Replies: 88

Hello everyone!

I’ve been working on controller support in Overload, and I’m hoping to support, as much as possible, people’s favorite old joysticks. (We like old joysticks — Dan uses a SideWinder 3D Pro and I have a Wingman Extreme.)

Any joystick that works in Windows should work in Overload, but we can have better support if we know about the sticks ahead of time. We’re using the Rewired input system so we have good support for everything listed on this page: http://guavaman.com/projects/rewired/docs/SupportedControllers.html

We will also have good support for the WingMan sticks and the Logitech Attack 3. (They’ve been added to Rewired but won’t go out until the next release.)

If there are any other cool old sticks that you want to see supported, post here. Be warned that we might ask you to send us your stick (or another one) for testing 🙂

Thanks,

– Matt

fred_dot_u
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 0
    Replies: 5

It would be great if you could have a config file for the Space Pilot Pro from 3dconnexion. It’s a 6 DOF controller with straight intuitive operation and a load of sidebar buttons for everything else. I can’t send you mine, the d**n thing is an arm and a leg and part of the internal organs too expensive.

CDN_Merlin
    CDN_Merlin
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 15
    Replies: 243

Funny how Overload supports the MS 3d pro with USB convertor but it’s not listed on that page.

Matt Toschlog
    Overload Team
    Topics: 22
    Replies: 88

Funny how Overload supports the MS 3d pro with USB convertor but it’s not listed on that page.

It will be. SideWinder support via the Grendel adapter has been added to Rewired, and the page will get updated when the next version of Rewired is released.

Azuvector
    Azuvector
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 11
    Replies: 71

Standard modern sticks being supported by default would be good. (I’d imagine they all work by default, but having a good default button/axis mapping scheme makes good sense.)

eg: Anything on this list: http://top10bestpro.com/top-10-best-joysticks/

*edit*

I think these are all supported anyway in the library you’re using. Nevermind. 😀

foghorn2
    foghorn2
    Participant
    Topics: 6
    Replies: 115

I plan to play Overlord on the XBOX 1s from my win 10 PC (Mirror) with a classic Gravis USB game pad!!

It works in Win 10 just fine. Dont see a problem. I can play any mirror XB1S game with it.

https://www.amazon.com/Kensington-Gravis-Gamepad-Pro-USB/dp/B00000K4TQ/

Zantor
    Zantor
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 1
    Replies: 4

I have an old Saitek Cyborg Evo I will be using with Overload. It is not in the Rewired support list. It did work in the summer demo after a small patch from Luke Schneider, and I am confident it will work with the PAX demo. I can post or email technical details if need be.

Yoshimitsu
    Yoshimitsu
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 57
    Replies: 421

I am using a Microsoft Sidewinder 3D Pro with Grendel adapter in one hand and a Saitek Cyborg Graphite in my left. They have worked perfectly ever since the 2nd or 3rd iteration of the Kickstarter Teaser and continue to do so.

I will probably replace the Saitek with a Thrustmaster T.16000 when it dies so hopefully that one will be supported as well. I know a lot of 6DOF players like it.

One important thing; I feel that the game needs far far greater customization of the axis. With my setup banking is much too twitchy compared to the other axis resulting in a lot of oversteering. To counteract this and other similar problems, I would like the ability to adjust axis sensitivities independently. This would let me solve my own problem and any similar ones that crop up for other users on different hardware. Every other 6dof game I play has this feature (Sol Contingency, D2X-XL, DXX-Rebirth, Descent Underground) and I always use it. The other issue that this would fix for me is the fact that I need different deadzones for each stick because the Saitek has a lot more drift than the MS Sidewinder, but hey! that’s pots for you.

The other option that I would ask for given the chance is the ability to adjust both the point at which max turning rate is achieved and the acceleration curve allowing for different rates of acceleration. This second feature is included in SolC and the ability to set my acceleration earlier lets my fly a lot better.

Actually, as I’ve been writing this I decided to throw together a little idea for an axis customization interface using a drafting program (this is just an illustration, not a GUI).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RypL5_ZrmR8&feature=youtu.be

LotharBot
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 1
    Replies: 133

T16000M is definitely supported.

StatiC
    StatiC
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 6
    Replies: 89

The only issue I have is with my CH Pro Pedals. There are 3 axis. The two foot controllers slide back and forth for the rudder type movement (1 axis). There is also a tilt axis on both toe pedals (think gas and brake). The toe tilt axis default position is all the way back toward the user. It is not a centered axis. The gui sees this as movement and cycles through the selections and also gets selected when you try to assign other axis. I have to manually push the toe and brake pedals half way (as close as I can through trial and error) until I can navigate the menus and also to assign other axis in the joystick prefs.

I play with a CH Fighterstick USB, CH Pro Throttle USB, and the CH Pro Pedals (also USB).

It would be great if I could also assign the left toe tilt axis(Like gas pedal) to half an axis and the brake to the other half of that axis. For example… left toe gas axis could roll left and right toe gas axis could roll right. I am sure this is probably a pretty big thing to implement though so that is only a “would be nice to have feature”.

overdhill
    Participant
    Replies: 3

I want to play it on my simpit using dual joysticks and rudder pedals to control the 6DOF. Also would love to see TrackIR added

simpit

Haunted Parrasp
    Haunted Parrasp
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 31
    Replies: 428

Sweet setup.
    Part of me wants to ask how much it cost but most of me knows I can’t afford it anyway. 🙂

Ship’s cat, MPSV Iberia
    Check out his original music @ http://vertigofox.bandcamp.com/

overdhill
    Participant

Actually it was not that expensive as I built the panels and custom controls. The Thrustmaster Warthog was the biggest expense.

http://cocoontech.com/forums/blog/8/entry-449-star-citizen-space-combat-sim/

Sigma
    Sigma
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 4
    Replies: 122

All cool, but buy a more bigger TV, you will understand the difference )

overdhill
    Participant

A 39″ sitting 3 feet away is plenty big. TrackIR works well also

Next Unread Topic:
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 33 total)

Forums are currently locked.

Previous Topic: Overload & the Nintendo 'Switch' Next Topic: October 26, 2016: Week 24