The discussion has moved over to Discord

Home Forums Overload Development Joystick support in Overload

RSS Feed

This topic contains 32 replies, has 25 voices, and was last updated by  hypersonic 23 Jun 2018 @ 7:34pm.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 33 total)
  • Author
    Sigma
    Sigma
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 4
    Replies: 122

Of course, if a good screen. But I think you need to try 55″

urungus
    urungus
    Kickstarter Backer
    Replies: 28

Saitek X-52 is still iffy. 8-Way hat is still 4-way. I also get random Esc key function with it when it’s not mapped to it at all.

d3jake
    d3jake
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 3
    Replies: 118

Didn’t the x52 have some insane mechanical deadzone that made it prohibitive for use playing Descent?

Good to hear that joystick/gamepads will be well supported. Thanks for the hard work!

PyroJockey
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 16
    Replies: 63

I’ve been testing various gamepads in Overload and found something interesting regarding dead zones for X input gamepads.

I have the following gamepads:

Logitech Dual Action model G-UF13A (discontinued)
    Logitech Gamepad F310 model G-U0001
    Microsoft XBox 360 controller model 1414135-02

All are wired USB controllers.

I had just acquired the XBox 360 controller and was testing it in the v2.0 teaser and was surprised at how clumsy it felt. I found the issue was in the huge dead zones for both analog sticks. I tried various game settings for the dead zone size, including none, and was not able to reduce the size of the dead zones. When I checked this in the Windows controller properties I found the dead zones to be negligible.

My older Dual Action controller is a direct input only device and has no issues with dead zones.

My Gamepad F310 has an option switch for X input and direct input. When using the direct input setting the dead zones are negligible, as they were when using the Dual Action. When using the X input setting, the dead zones were excessively large, as they were using the XBox controller. Again when I checked this in the Windows controller properties, I found the dead zones to be negligible even when using the X input option.

There appears to be a software issue with the way the game is supporting X input devices.

There are times you strive for greatness, to reach lofty goals and accomplish noble deeds. Then there’s the rest of the times you just want to blow stuff up.

oldschooldescenter
    Participant
    Topics: 0
    Replies: 1

I have seen a few mentions to the Saiteck x52 joystick in relation to its 8 way hat issue, I have found out that the hat has a 4 way mode enabled by default on it. You need to create a profile in the x52’s profile manager and set it to 8 way mode.

my only other issue with the x52 is that there is no full range support on the throttle ( forward and backwards movement just to clarify ).

themasterblaster
    themasterblaster
    Participant
    Topics: 1
    Replies: 4

I hope you include a checkbox to turn on and off joystick support. Some of us like to turn it off so we can use a key mapping program like Xpadder to map the gamepad. If you offer full custom key mapping to the gamepad this is less important.

Luke Schneider
    Overload Team
    Topics: 10
    Replies: 115

I hope you include a checkbox to turn on and off joystick support. Some of us like to turn it off so we can use a key mapping program like Xpadder to map the gamepad. If you offer full custom key mapping to the gamepad this is less important.

Have you tried just going to the Joystick remap screen and pressing Clear All? That should pretty do what you want. If it doesn’t, let us know. Thanks!

urungus
    urungus
    Kickstarter Backer
    Replies: 28

Didn’t the x52 have some insane mechanical deadzone that made it prohibitive for use playing Descent?

Good to hear that joystick/gamepads will be well supported. Thanks for the hard work!

Since the new update it seems to be working well.

dolphe
    Participant
    Topics: 3
    Replies: 3

For me, as a left hander, there is only one option. Thrustmaster 16000m or FCS (the new, orange one). I wish I could grab favorite joystick of all time: MS sidewinder 3d pro, but they dont make it anymore. So sad….The best game ever, and the irony of a fact, that there will be never such a controller to fully master the D gameplay, including 3 chording. That HOTAS stuff, currently on market, is 100% right handed, and the fact, it all suck to play Overload with it for full potential. If you played descent on a little “higher” level (especcialy deathmach multiplayer variants) the HOTAS sistems are just bulky, too slow and inferior to joysticks as 3d pro and others (if there are any decent).

What I would like to have assurance is this:

-every single direction supported as all the buttons pushed instantly, they must work. For instance: triple chording, changing weapon, etc etc….This is the uttermost important issue, AND MUST BE ACCOMPLISHED.
    -quick, responsive and precise handling (not too long stick, not too much room to bent the stick, HOTAS all fail here, too slow to play action style of Overload) perfect match being MS sidewinder 3d pro, while TH 16000M or FCS dont fall back too much i guess (never tried it, will buy one for Overload, since there is no other options which are better to play Overload).

So, im asking the developers, are you sure that THRST 16000m or FCS has the options mentioned above? Really dont want to face the fact, that lets say coolie hat wouldnt work pushing it up+left, while pushing the stick backward, changing weapons meanwhile and yawing to adjust triple chording travel.

Thanks for answers!

LotharBot
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 1
    Replies: 133

The T16000M is great. The only flaw is that the hat switch is too smooth (doesn’t have an indentation) so it’s easy to make your thumb slide off of it. A tiny 3D printed cone/ring and some epoxy fixed that problem right up.

natefp
    Kickstarter Backer
    Replies: 4

logge
    Participant
    Topics: 0
    Replies: 5

T16000M is best so far. Had the old Thrustmaster HOTAS, the feeling of the material was better, but everything else the T16000M beats it. Have to check out a new HOTAS some time…

yencil
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 7
    Replies: 32

The Overload guys were awesome in supporting my early requests for joystick performance fixes for my VKB Gladiator joystick, although I need to check if the more recent drops still support it as well as their early ones did.

However, I had a question for the users here – I’m still torn between this new stick, and my old Sidewinder 3D Pro. The SW 3D Pro gives me a nice short “stroke” length, so I can make tight turns and whip it around really fast. But the deadzone on these old sticks just sucks! Maybe someone has babied theirs and has it working well, but everytime I try to find a good one, it turns out to have the same big deadzone.

I’m looking for a more current alternative that will have a smaller deadzone, but still that same short “stroke” length (not sure what the right term for this is). Has anyone tried the Logitech Extreme 3D Pro?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00009OY9U/ref=as_li_qf_sp_asin_il_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=ideahacks-20&camp=1789&creative=9325&linkCode=as2&creativeASIN=B00009OY9U&linkId=b3f70202e2123ad3ca7b2da31a3023db

Any other suggestions for former SW 3D Pro users who want a modern stick that retains the dogfighting capability, but is more accurate?

Yoshimitsu
    Yoshimitsu
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 57
    Replies: 421

I believe the correct term for what you want is “short throw.” That means you don’t have to move your hand as far to get to the limit. Unfortunately, I’ve never found any that compare to the SW 3D Pro. I’ve tried 7-8 different sticks over the years but I always come back to my Sidewinder. The Logitech stick you’re looking at there has a fairly long throw and the one I owned had really flimsy buttons that stopped working after about 6 months.

crazzyeddie
    Participant
    Topics: 2
    Replies: 7

We need to support input sensitivity curvs or exponential input.

Most of the flight simulators do this, which allows you have be very sensitive in the middle and less sensitive to the outside. Right now this type of thing is very crude.

DCS joystick curves

This would help improve compatibility with alot of joysticks and make users happier though customization.

Additionally better dead zone support would help too.
    I still have drift on my stick even after calibrating.

Eddie

Next Unread Topic:
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 33 total)

Forums are currently locked.

Previous Topic: Overload & the Nintendo 'Switch' Next Topic: October 26, 2016: Week 24