The discussion has moved over to Discord

Home Forums Classic 6DOF Games Killing D2's Bandit (the thief bot) is actually very easy…

RSS Feed
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    TwoCablesTwoCables
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 118
    Replies: 1474

All you have to do is…

1. Wait for him to come to you
    2. Shoot him until he leaves
    3. Repeat this over and over until he dies
    4. Peacefully go about your business.

So, you just keep repeating steps 1 and 2 over and over and over until he blows up. Trust me, it won’t take as long as you think.

Sometimes you can easily trap him in a room without any effort and just block his only exit out of the room with tons of Primary fire.

You see, he is always watching you in the same way that you can always watch Guidebot. When you look like you’re AFK, he’ll come to you. It’s really that simple. If you look like you’re alert, he probably won’t.

Prepare for Overload…

IonIon
    Participant
    Topics: 2
    Replies: 27

I just get him in a position where his AI breaks and keeps charging directly into a hail of Helix fire.

D3 thief’s AI is near impossible to break. You have to give chase before he chases you.

punished blart on steam

SiriusSirius
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 9
    Replies: 406

What usually works if you’re in a hurry is corralling the thief into a dead-end room with a door (or door-sized passageway) and just holding that chokepoint and hammering it every time it tries to escape. Some people also drop smart mines in the thief’s most likely approach point, which is easy enough if you have patience.

One other thing that can be of use for trying to land hits; the thief’s movement looks unpredictable, but it’s not as bad as it seems – it generally paths through the middle of a segment unless it has to dodge. If you can guess where that is, you can guess how it’s going to fly even in a large room. That at least helps track it with Gauss.

TwoCablesTwoCables
    Kickstarter Backer

I just get him in a position where his AI breaks and keeps charging directly into a hail of Helix fire.

D3 thief’s AI is near impossible to break. You have to give chase before he chases you.

Oh doh, I forgot to say that I’m talking about D2. I tend to not count D3 and then I forget to say “I’m talking about D2”.

Prepare for Overload…

LotharBot
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 1
    Replies: 133

This is part of why I considered the thiefbot so boring — the main strategy he encouraged was “hang out in your starting area with your back towards the door, watching your rearview, and then spin around and shoot him a few times”. Since he had so many hitpoints and was so fast, he wasn’t really worth chasing — particularly in areas where there were still live bots who could threaten you.

deftflux
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 2
    Replies: 13

Yeah, my wife and I recently played through D2 in co-op. Generally, doing away with the thiefbot was the first order of business in each level. And as the more experienced player, it was generally my responsibility.

Sometimes I just waited in one spot, but that got really boring. Other times I chased after him frantically. That was definitely the funner approach, but I wasted a lot of energy and ammo, took a lot of damage from other bots, and also got flack from my wife for not being there to help her when she got into trouble, since I had no idea where I was in the level having followed the thiefbot all over.

Either way, it wasn’t really that fun. However, there were a few moments of fun-ness here and there. For instance, in some levels, the thief wouldn’t show up until later. So one time we were going about our business, then all of a sudden, one of my weapons was stolen, and I was surprised and motivated to hunt him down and get it back. After a relatively brief chase, thief-scream, and ka-boom, I found the experience very satisfying. That was an exceptional case, though.

So if it were up to me, I wouldn’t make the thief able to roam the entire level looking for you, but make him more like other bots that stay put until you get somewhat nearby. Then I’d also have the number of thiefs not be the same for every level. Maybe some levels would have 2 or more, and some none at all. All of that would take away the boring wait-for-him-to-come-to-you strategy. Then I’d also make him either as fast with fewer hit points, or slower with as many hit points, but not both. That would make it more worth it to hunt him.

I’m pretty sure a bot’s stats could be adjusted in either the level file or .ham file in D2; maybe we could change the thief’s speed and/or hitpoints and experiment with what’s funnest…

TwoCablesTwoCables
    Kickstarter Backer

One good thing about chasing Bandit is, he would show you around. lol He would show you places that Guide Bot never would.

Prepare for Overload…

pyrogxpilot
    Participant
    Topics: 0
    Replies: 3

The smart mine/door trigger if set up right gets the bot right off!

AKA Theftbot

ionized
    Kickstarter Backer
    Replies: 23

I went for the smart mine traps as well. I like the idea of a thief bot but maybe multiple weaker thief bots located around the level which don’t travel too far would be better.

I remember those “old scratch” bots from D3 that ripped weapons out of your ship as well. I really like the design of this bot. A steathly melee bot would be a nice complement to blade’s headstrong approach, but I’m going off topic now.

toumaltoumal
    Kickstarter Backer
    Replies: 15

I loved the thief bot. It was just another element in the game that you had to keep in mind, and if you didn’t he had this way of taking away the weapon that you needed the most at the most inconvenient time 🙂

I’d love a thief, or something like it. Keep the player on their toes.

karx11erxkarx11erx
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 4
    Replies: 28

The easiest way to get rid of thief bots is to use D2X-XL and enable the option to remove them from each level and whenever they spawn … 😉

Haunted ParraspHaunted Parrasp
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 31
    Replies: 428

I don’t think that counts as killing him… more like negating any existence he would have in the first place.
    Chasing him isn’t so bad if you’ve got vulcan. Only if you use your afterburner too much he seems to make sure that’s his next take.
    Bombs are my way to go cuz all you’ve got to do is get him to find you in a room with only one way out and then you can go about your business, grab a couple keys, and come back in a few minutes to find all that delicious shield and energy. ‘Course, there’s always the internal tactical droids which can come along and blow up all your mines before he does.

I remember there being a bunch of maps in the mid-game with no thief. He might have been in all the Vertigo maps though…

Ship’s cat, MPSV Iberia
    Check out his original music @ http://vertigofox.bandcamp.com/

PyroJockey
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 16
    Replies: 63

Theifbot is the bot we love to hate. My first task in a new level is usually to locate and kill the theifbot so he doesn’t steal my power-ups at a un-opportune moment later. My weapon of choice is the gauss cannon and yes I’ve cursed at it many a time but, it just makes his death so much more satisfying.

I would love to see the theifbot as a playable character in multiplayer. He would be armed only with flares, have high speed and maneuverability, be heavily shielded and just go around trying to steal power-ups from other players. The reward for killing him would be all the collected power-ups.

There are times you strive for greatness, to reach lofty goals and accomplish noble deeds. Then there’s the rest of the times you just want to blow stuff up.

Quadruplesword
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 10
    Replies: 31

When I played D2, I quickly grew tired of the “wait in one spot then blast his face off” approach to dealing with thief bot. It just ruined the pace for me and made me spend the first 5 minutes of any new level sitting in one spot. Not much fun. My strategy was always to wait until he entered a room with only one entrance, then block the exit. Now he’s forced to just eat gauss shells and missiles until he goes kaboom. It feels especially satisfying when you’ve been tracking him all across the level, then finally corner him.

Next Unread Topic:
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

Forums are currently locked.

Previous Topic: Graphics slowdown after continued fighting. Next Topic: Bots fight each other…