The discussion has moved over to Discord

RSS Feed
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    maxxmaxx
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 15
    Replies: 34

Hi to everyone involved with Overload! In my recent surveying of the leaderboards I discovered that our esteemed developer and competitor, Mike Kulas, has somehow eclipsed all of us with a combined total Ace infinite score of 3531!!
    I wondered how it was possible, as I tend to keep an eye on players who seem to be rising or at least trending to a point of thretening my own hard fought position, so I attempted to tally his kills by map. Now, mind you, I am no actuary but by my math his total, even if you include his score for Cyclonus, is 330 kills.
    Perhaps this is new math, perhaps it is just someone on the team ribbing Mike or trying to alarm insecure little s**ts like myself, but I thought it would be nice to raise the question and find out what’s going on with this situation. As always, Maxx, out.

Mike Kulas
    Overload Team
    Topics: 24
    Replies: 186

Argh, that will be deleted. I was testing stuff in Cyclonus and I forgot about Combined…

maxxmaxx
    Kickstarter Backer

Thanks Mike! I never thought you were trying to use your position as some kind of “polevault”, just thought someone was funnin’ ya, like with ‘The Kulas’ achievemnent award or something. BTW, I rather miss competing with you, pal. Always a worthy adversary. Hope you will join into some MP when it’s up and running.

Mike Kulas
    Overload Team

I don’t think I can seriously compete with you any more — your scores have gone up a lot and mine have not. 🙂

maxxmaxx
    Kickstarter Backer

Perhaps you might want to try one of these souped up controllers I’ve been working on. Not KBM, not a joystick, but more of a modernization of the Logitech Cyberman2. All 6 axes under the control of one hand, 8 buttons on the other, and a fair bit of adjustment in axis response curves. I was using modded Thrustmaster Cougar, then switched to this thing. I can’t fly without it anymore.

Mike Kulas
    Overload Team

I should learn how to use a joystick. I’m 100% gamepad. In Descent, I was keyboard only. So I’ve made progress.

SiriusSirius
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 9
    Replies: 406

The most important thing is whether it limits you, rather than which particular setup it is (at least when we’re talking about achievements/leaderboards… casually, it’s just whether it’s comfortable). KB+M, KB+JS, dual JS and some tweaks on that theme (I’ve known people to use pedals!) can all work once you master them.

Regular gamepads can get close, but don’t quite pass the “BUT CAN IT TRICHORD?!?” litmus test without making sacrifices that prevent you from making full use of it (e.g. can’t fire or can’t aim at the same time). They’re still probably good enough for most people. And fancy gamepads like the one b2af uses can do it all.

b2af
    Participant
    Topics: 0
    Replies: 2

I have developed a configuration for standard controllers that can do all the flight movements at the same time. I can tricord without an issue.

The sacrifice is the functions associated with Descent such as dropping proxies, firing flairs, rear view etc. For these functions, you have to use the a,b,x,y button combos. So dropping a bomb would be double tap A to drop one bomb. It’s not a good tactic when you are spending a lot of time on proxies. When you do this, you are taking your thumb off the aim stick to drop proxies or checking your rear view. That’s not a good idea in a dogfight or an intense 1v1.

The configuration for standard controllers is clunky. However, doable.

PS. If you want to play on a controller, get an Xbox One Elite controller. It’s a no-compromise gamepad solution for Descent/Overload/6Dof. This is what I use.

Next Unread Topic:
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

Forums are currently locked.

Previous Topic: Occlusion Error on Syrinx Next Topic: "Ultra Descent"