The discussion has moved over to Discord

Home Forums Overload Development Level Set Project: Conflict at Jupiter (WIP)

RSS Feed
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    swingarm1032swingarm1032
    Participant
    Topics: 5
    Replies: 12

I have been working on a concept for an external set of Levels to be made in the Level Editor when it is released. The levels in this mission are going to be located on the moons of Jupiter and there will be about 15 levels (I have not decided on the final details) There will also be full use of the upgrade and super upgrade points as well. I have been working on schematics for the levels also in AutoCAD, and I want to show off some of my work here as well.

To explain some of the stuff in the schematics, I use X’s for the objects, and thick lines for walls, doors, switches and other stuff. For the objects, the player is a black X, red X’s are Auto-Ops, blue X’s are powerups, and there are still a few object types to be defined. The lines are as follows, doors are in dark green, switches are light green, walls are grey, auto op fabricators are majenta, red is a locked door. Again there are other types to be figured out still as well. Generally the schematics are from an above view, but as I go along, if a side view is needed it will be notated as well.

swingarm1032swingarm1032
    Participant

For the First Level, Callisto Mining Station, I have finished the the Schematic for the entrance area, “Area 1”

Area 1 Schematic

I am currently working on the next area which connects to the above shown part at the very top of the page [To area 2]

For the level I am thinking about the following Auto-Ops: Gorgon, Goblin, Scorpion, Ogre, and Kraken. The weapons I am thinking about using are: Cyclone, Driller, Falcon, Missile Pod, and Hunter(in addition there will be shields, energy and upgrade points too)

DiamondWolf
    Participant
    Topics: 15
    Replies: 57

I might want to help. I’ve already said I’d convert a couple Descent levels first, but I’d be able to help after that.

I can already think of two levels I might like to do.

ShroudeyeShroudeye
    Participant
    Topics: 12
    Replies: 84

Well, me too. I’ve prepared a few level sketches that I’ll be building when the editor releases, complete with their own puzzles and etc.

However, first I’d like to know the extent of customization for mission structure. For example, can I make a level similar to Ymir Outpost, where you can proceed after clearing the level, without destroying (overloading?) the core?

Also Swingarm, I can’t see your Picture, but I’d love to help in designing a few levels for you as well. I’m an architect myself, and I currently on a second level for Descent 1 1/2 Project. You can also check out my Descent 1 and 2 levels here at DMDB.

DiamondWolf
    Participant

@shroud According to Luke in the launch stream, it is possible using stock scripts, though it will be very complex. Luke said that there is a chance of adding custom scripting support which will make such a task much easier.

P.S. For a sample of my work, head over to DMDB and look for Halley’s Military Base.

I might start prototyping a level in DLE.

swingarm1032swingarm1032
    Participant

I have been doing level design for a long time (since I was about 18, I am now 30) I have done a lot in various versions of DLE, but all of my work has not been released. I have some idea how to do the scripting, I have done a few D3 levels that I have also not released.

From what I have seen of the editor (From the video of the launch stream) it looks a good amount like DLE in the way the levels are created, This I guess is a plus, I had only taken a shout view, but i am curious about the design of the cave portions, which will be implemented in this level later on as well.

Sometimes it is good with this kind of stuff to create a “language” for what is what. That was something I did with the object symbols and colored lines as well.

swingarm1032swingarm1032
    Participant

On to the second area of the mine, which I am calling Area 2, this area is where the level 1 security key is, and also contains another energy center.

Here is the schematic that I did of it, which is notably less ‘regular’ than the first area.
    Area 2 Schematic

The player would enter from Area 1 and in the first room, would encounter the level 1 security door. On the way to getting the key, the player would also have a choice on which path to take to get there, one path is notably longer, but the other the player would encounter a robot fabricator. The longer path also runs by the mentioned energy center, which is notated by a yellow hatch pattern.

DiamondWolf
    Participant

Don’t forget that any good 6DoF level needs to have more verticality than simple height variation.

I’d recommend raising the longer path by ~2 standard cube lengths, and maybe make the Security 1 door lead into a long vertical shaft with a cave at the bottom.

Then again, how would an orthographic overhead view show such things? 😛

IMO the detailing wall at the far left of the long route (with a simple segment on the other side) would be a good place for a cryotube area.

P.S. I’m just about done prototyping my Area 1.

DiamondWolf
    Participant

Ok, here’s the first area in Herse Iron Mine. Textures are rough approximations of Overload textures.

You can barely see it, but the start room is has three layers to it. The middle layer is where you start and go to the next room. The top and bottom have switches that, when shot, open the two secret doors in the same room. Enjoy the free secret spoiler.

Secret doors are placed based on visual functionality compared to their more secret Overload counterparts and not secretness. Thought that would be worth mentioning.

DiamondWolf
    Participant

Got another section prototyped. You score one of the keys here.

P.S. This level is meant to be midgame at the earliest. Preferably late game just before the home stretch.

swingarm1032swingarm1032
    Participant

Yeah, I see what you are saying, In my current level there is more some limited Height variation on parts shown, but the variations are mainly done at production time. On the third page of schematics, I have a large shaft connecting to the middle section of the mine, which I have not shown yet. There is actually a lot I still need to do with the level as well, there is only so much one can do with 2D views,

I appreciate the help here as well, Generally many on my plans start out as 2D schematics and are vastly different when converted to the actual 3D part.

swingarm1032swingarm1032
    Participant

On to the the next few things here…

I have made some additions to the lines on the first two pages. I have added dashed lines as a way to show the actual segment boundaries. Assuming that the rules for segment creation in the overload editor are the same as in DLE, They are all 4 sided shapes, with all convex edges. Where the solid lines are shown represent where there is some change in the up and down direction (such as a recessed Lava area)

I am going to re-post the first two pages which have been updated to show this:

Area 1:

Area 2:

Area 3 is just past the level 1 access door, and has a more natural theme, with cave textures and at the bottom of the ‘Cave Shaft”, a large area that is natural caverns (part of this area also has a lava area as well (Orange hatch pattern) This area is similar to the cave section of Ymir Outpost in the Chronos Frontier (Level 1 of the main game) the player enters at the highest point and at the base is the cavernous parts, with the connection to Area 4 at the top right of the page.

Area 3:

Area 4 is where the level splits off into 3 different areas. The door to Area 5 requires the Level 2 Security Key and the door to Area 7 requires the level 3 security key. In the center of the page is the area where the Cyrotubes will be, and there is also an energy center as well Again this page has the dashed lines showing the segment bounds.

Area 4:

At this time I want to talk about some of what I plan to do in the next sections:
    Area 5 is going to go up again, but not to the same height of the first part of the level, at the top of 2 medium sized shafts will be another cave area.

Area 6 will be a moderately large cave area as well, which will have many tunnels, and will be pretty much all dark. There will be a small amount of variation in the height as well. It will lead to the level 2 Access Key as well.

Area 7 will lead to the primary reactor, which is going to be in a large room with shielded Auto Op fabricators, These will have a hidden switch to disable the shields. The reactor will also be Shielded, and there will again be a switch (or combination of switches) that will need to be destroyed. I am planning to have the exit in plain sight as well here.

DiamondWolf
    Participant

I plan on adding another key leading to level 2 security (no level 1 in my level), leading to a hunt for the third key. Then comes the fun part.

This level (as announced by Mara or equivalent when the time comes) requires you to find a secret to complete. This secret leads to a downward magnetic accelerator leading to the 2nd half of the map. It’s here where you have to deal with the alien puzzles (though using primarily normal doors rather than energy doors) to locate the reactor, followed by a mad dash to the top of the level utilizing a newly-revealed upward magnetic accelerator where you can find the exit.

This last section does come with a story point though – I’ll PM it to you.

lifthrasillifthrasil
    Participant
    Topics: 2
    Replies: 3

Nice. Can’t wait for the modding-tools / Level editor to be released! 🙂

DiamondWolf
    Participant

Just noticed a part of your post dealing with your reactor defenses – I’d recommend static enemies or unshielded fabricators at wost. IMO shielded fabricators should come a ways into the mission, even after defense turrets. Unshielded fabric softeners are fine much earlier into the mission.

Then again, these things can be tweaked once all the levels are done.

Next Unread Topic:
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)

Forums are currently locked.

Previous Topic: Different mouse sensitivity in SP and MP Next Topic: Ship just keeps tumbling forward