The discussion has moved over to Discord

Home Forums Overload Development Level Set Project: Conflict at Jupiter (WIP)

RSS Feed

This topic contains 28 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by Kryyss Kryyss 10 Jul 2018 @ 6:14pm.

Viewing 14 posts - 16 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Author

Hunter
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 6
    Replies: 69

Just noticed a part of your post dealing with your reactor defenses – I’d recommend static enemies or unshielded fabricators at wost. IMO shielded fabricators should come a ways into the mission, even after defense turrets. Unshielded fabric softeners are fine much earlier into the mission.

Remember folks, always go with unshielded when using your fabric softener. πŸ˜€

DiamondWolf
    Participant
    Topics: 15
    Replies: 57

Unless you wanna ruin your Kodachi Washing Machine… πŸ˜›

Haunted Parrasp
    Haunted Parrasp
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 31
    Replies: 428

Unshielded fabric softeners are fine much earlier into the mission.

Autocorrect wins again! πŸ˜€ πŸ˜€ πŸ˜€

Ship’s cat, MPSV Iberia
    Check out his original music @ http://vertigofox.bandcamp.com/

DiamondWolf
    Participant

Ironically that wasn’t autocorrected πŸ˜›

Shadesmaster
    Shadesmaster
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 1
    Replies: 43

And the best part is, you can make the levels in a Descent level editor before converting them directly into the overload editor. I’m sure u guys knew that.

Overload editor is awesome so far, even with a few quirks and things to iron out before release. (*If you extrude a segnent and one side has a decal applied, the new seg will also have said decal – and you can’t yet delete decals*). Point lights can only have color shades between white and red, but if decals u place are wall lights than those automatically emit their respective color as well. πŸ™‚

swingarm1032
    swingarm1032
    Participant
    Topics: 5
    Replies: 12

I am also glad to hear the about the ability to convert directly…

Otherwise it would be a lot more work if someone had already done the level in DLE πŸ™‚

Also, are there any specific maximums for objects and the related things such as segments, and can objects themselves be converted (I am using some of the robots from D2 to mark locations for the Auto-Ops and Power-Up as well will be converted in a similar fashion)

And noted on the thing about shielded objects too, good point there…

DiamondWolf
    Participant

@Shade Can’t you set the decal to “None”?

swingarm1032
    swingarm1032
    Participant

So…

I have been working a huge amount with the first level, and first to update, the cave area at the base of the Shaft in area 3 turned out not to be of a suitable manor and I have recreated that specific area in AutoCAD. I also want to say that information about areas 4 – 7 are likely going to change as well.

Here is the updated view of the area at the base of the shaft in Area 3:

Also I want to show the level prototype thus far, as is in DLE, I have taken 4 shots from different angles:

An overall view of the level from the basic perspective

A side perspective from the side where the shaft is

Another above-ish view, from the other direction from the first image

A close up of the before mentioned shaft

I have added a few geometry things in some other places, and I also have laid out some general textures. However there will be much implementation of the different textures once the Level Editor is released. There are also placeholder objects placed in the map (but hidden in views).

swingarm1032
    swingarm1032
    Participant

A massive amount of work has been done on this in the last few days, now the Level 1 map (Callisto Mining Station) has been reassigned to be Level 2, and a whole new map (Thebe Outpost) has been created for Level 1. At this point Level 1 and Level 2 are done in DLE, all geometry and objects have been created/placed. I have also started Level 3, which is called Callisto Geothermal Station. Callisto Geothermal Station is a large research station focused on geothermal technology including lava extraction, power generation, and plasma weapons research. The mine is planned to be a more dark theme than the others so far, and there will be a lot of lave present in the level as well. The Triton and Shredder will be notable introductions for the Robots, and there will be a couple of new weapons as well.

I have also done some thinking into the story as well. The mission will be set in 2153, long after the events of the Chronos Frontier. After the events of Chronos Frontier, there was a long period of time when there were no reports of malfunctions of the Operators, and in 2025 due to the shortage of resources in the Earth Mars Belt triangle, Juno Offworld under some new leadership, launched a project similar to the Chronos Frontier, which would be situated on the moons of Jupiter, which the new management had deemed a better fit than the other outer planets by far for a start. Probes indicated that there were there were vast quantities of metals on Callisto and Ganymede, Europa was more suited for permanent habitation, with the availability of water which could be converted from the ice. Deep under the surface of Europa, there was a modest amount of precious metals discovered near the north pole. Io was also discovered to have good metals and mining properties. Lesser moons of proved to have uses as defense outposts as well as a few were also good mining prospects. Recent advances of transportation made travel to Jupiter faster and more reliable. There were also future plans to re-establish development on the Moons of Saturn as well. Then in 2152, a strange event happened on Leda… and history began to repeat with the Operators…

The following section is the latest images from DLE development of both Level 1 and Level 2:

Level 1 – Composite View:

This is the overview of Thebe Outpost, with it has about 75 placed robots (+ 1 or 2 fabricators?) and about 700 segments of geometry in DLE. There are 3 keys as well as some natural sections.

Level 1 – Cave Section:

Here is the the principal cave section, it has a few loops and there are some (may be difficult to see) natural bridges in the shaft. In the loops in some places I have (experimentally) twisted the segments made by DLE’s Curve Generator as well. (I want the rock areas when the level is built in the Editor to twist as well.

Level 1 – Composite View – Side Perspective:

Here is another composite view of the level, this time it is a more side angle showing a moderately complex part of the level (That blue area is where the Cyrotubes will be located)

Level 2 – Composite View:

The second level is vastly more complex than the first level. It has about 1500 segments, many secrets, and over 200 operators, as well as heavier use of the Fabricators as well. The previously mentioned cave section was added, and after completion of this part, I decided to ad lib the rest of the level. Again, 3 keys, with 2 door to the reactor area were used (Both level 3 security access) The operators although many are pretty spaced, and there are lots of loot to be grabbed around the level as well.

Level 2 – Above View:

Here is an above view of the entire facility, which gives a general idea of the level’s size.

Level 2 – Cave Section Detail:

Here is the cave section, which is similar to the Juno Outpost (Teaser Trailer 3.0) area with the caves after the level 1 key. Notables: Energy Center, randomness of tunnel directions (or lack of direction).

Level 2 – Side Perspective:

This is a side perspective showing how although not evident on start, there is a good amount of elevation change around the level.

Level 2 – Side Perspective 2:

Again another side perspective.

That is all for now as well

DiamondWolf
    Participant

I’d like to claim a Europa level in addition to my current Herse one.

swingarm1032
    swingarm1032
    Participant

I’d like to claim a Europa level in addition to my current Herse one.

I remember the refinery in level 8 of D3 – one of my favorites music wise and a pretty fun level… (Dol Ammad Fuel Refinery – on Europa)

the-argonain-guy
    the-argonain-guy
    Participant
    Topics: 3
    Replies: 19

That’s pretty neat! πŸ˜€ You know I have been thinking about doing something like this, probably after the release of the level editor to create my own overload campaign with it’s own lore and such. But mines will be taking place in my Dungeons and Dragons inspired world which unfortunately I don’t have a name for that campaign yet, but I have been thinking about it’s lore for a while. For now I am just going to call my overload campaign Spelljammer after the advanced Dungeons and Dragons campaign Spelljammer since the player characters are piloting micro-spelljammer gunships after all, plus as sort of a placeholder name. Even get to play a kobold with a micro-spelljammer that resembles the pyrogx called the Brass Dragon GS. But the thing about my campaign is that it’s going to require a lot of modding, particularly for all the new stuff that I plan to put in it.

Also are you thinking about putting in some custom tracks for you’re campaign, or are you just going to stick with the vanilla overload soundtrack? I’v been thinking abut compiling my own custom soundtrack for overload dubbed Overload Black Book, and yes that is a clear reference to Descent 2 redbook! πŸ˜‰ The custom track is intended to be used for custom overload levels.

Kryyss
    Kryyss
    Participant
    Topics: 10
    Replies: 29

Just a warning for you. If someone is playing on Ace or Insane for those maps it would appear most areas are less than 10m wide so it will be impossible to dodge projectiles for most enemies. I’d highly recommend balancing for the higher difficulties because that will trickle down to lower settings.

To give you a rough guideline, weapons like missile pods, reflex and what could be considered common projectiles move at around 7 m/s on Ace and drop to around 60% of that for Rookie. The normal speed of the player is around 4m/s so needs 0.5s to move clear of a typical 2*2 segment. So if you presume someone has lightning fast reflexes and begins moving within 1s of a bot firing you still need 1.5s to get clear. In that time, a typical Ace speed projectile travels 10m.

Personally, I feel the revs need to scale the players movement speed in line with how they scale projectile speeds. The player is already being handed an increased challenge due to a more narrow reaction time window so adding a further handicap on top of that is unreasonable and causes issues with map design.

If players have no hope of evading hits then they may as well stand still and just DPS-race agaisnt the opponent.

Kryyss
    Kryyss
    Participant
    Topics: 10
    Replies: 29

@Shade Can’t you set the decal to β€œNone”?

It would appear that decals cannot be deleted once added at the moment in OLE. This is one of the feature requests in a list I’m assembling for this weekend. At present, the only option is to delete the whole segment and then recreate it.

Next Unread Topic:
Viewing 14 posts - 16 through 29 (of 29 total)

Forums are currently locked.

Previous Topic: Different mouse sensitivity in SP and MP Next Topic: Ship just keeps tumbling forward