The discussion has moved over to Discord

Home Forums The Archive Playable Teaser March 2016 Bug Reports and Questions Linux & Mac Build Feedback

RSS Feed

Tagged: , , ,

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 39 total)
  • Author
    Cheeseness
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 3
    Replies: 22

Hi people!

I’d like to gather together the experiences that Linux and Mac users have had into one place so that it’s easier for the developers to absorb and as a place where additional commonalities and contributing factors can be identified.

Here’s a list of the current known issues from and workarounds for the backer-only Linux and Mac builds shared in this post.

Common Issues

• Linux: Game binary doesn’t have executable permissions (workaround by granting executable permissions, eg: chmod +x ./OverloatPT.x86_64)
    • Linux: White polygons visible in the Destroy the Reactor level (workaround by disabling post-processing)
    • Linux: Black polygons visible in the Destroy the Reactor level (workaround by disabling light shafts)
    • Linux: Pitch changes with mouse controls result in erratic yaw changes when mouse limiting is off (workaround by setting mouse limiting to normal)
    • Linux: Intermittent crash on exit
    • Linux: Crash when starting if Pulseaudio is not present (resolved in Unity 5.3.0p1 – note that Unity 5.3 brings in a new renderer which has its own set of hurdles)
    • Linux & Mac: Sunset coloured skybox visible instead of main menu (workaround by running windowed – could be related to fullscreen aspect ratio? Possible locale related fix reported here)

Uncommon Issues

• Linux: Excessive screen shaking when firing or moving (reported here)
    • Linux: Intermittent crash of window manager at game launch (reported here)
    • Mac: Menu and HUD corruption (reported here)
    • Mac: Projectiles stop disappearing and become floating physics objects (reported here)

If anybody’s found anything that’s not listed or has relevant information/experiences, please chime in!

Jeff Slutter
    Overload Team
    Topics: 0
    Replies: 4

Thank you cheeseness for these and helping out.

Cheeseness
    Kickstarter Backer

Thank you cheeseness for these and helping out.

My pleasure. Thanks for being willing to get something out for Linux and Mac users!

mummey
    Kickstarter Backer
    Replies: 3

Hello,

I can confirm:

Mac: Menu and HUD corruption (reported here)

I am running 10.11.4 Public Beta. Mouse also seems to be broken in the game itself, but mouse works for menus.

Cheeseness
    Kickstarter Backer

Thanks!

So far as mouse stuff goes, have you enabled mouse controls in the options menu? That’s turned off by default.

mummey
    Kickstarter Backer
    Replies: 3

Thanks!

So far as mouse stuff goes, have you enabled mouse controls in the options menu? That’s turned off by default.

That was it! Thank you.

cybolic
    Kickstarter Backer
    Replies: 1
    • Linux & Mac: Sunset coloured skybox visible instead of main menu (workaround by running windowed – could be related to fullscreen aspect ratio? Possible locale related fix reported here)

Locale issue confirmed. Running Overload using either “LANG=”pl_PL.UTF-8″ ./OverloadPT.x86_64” or “LANG=”ru_RU.UTF-8″ ./OverloadPT.x86_64” triggers the issue. Running it with invalid or not-installed locales does not trigger the bug, neither does running it with other locales using non-latin charsets (tested with el_GR.UTF-8 and ja_JP.eucJP).
    Aspect ratio doesn’t seem to have an effect (tested with 1920×1024 and 1920×1200).

Cheeseness
    Kickstarter Backer

Locale issue confirmed. Running Overload using either “LANG=”pl_PL.UTF-8″ ./OverloadPT.x86_64” or “LANG=”ru_RU.UTF-8″ ./OverloadPT.x86_64” triggers the issue. Running it with invalid or not-installed locales does not trigger the bug, neither does running it with other locales using non-latin charsets (tested with el_GR.UTF-8 and ja_JP.eucJP).
    Aspect ratio doesn’t seem to have an effect (tested with 1920×1024 and 1920×1200).

Good to hear! I did have one German user who had this with AMD drivers on Linux who couldn’t seem to get a change in behaviour when changing locale. I’ll see if I can get him to triple check – it could be that we’re seeing multiple issues with the same symptoms here.

Edit: Got a handle on a fix (thanks to Levi Bard from Unity). The problem is with usage of float.Parse() in RUtility.ReadField(). I’ve sent through details on how to address the problem via a Kickstarter message 🙂

UnboundclassicUnboundclassic
    Kickstarter Backer
    Replies: 5

Mac: iMac, late 2012, OS X 10.11.3, 3.4 i7, 2GB NVIDIA GTX 680, 32 GB of system RAM

Had a great run this last challenge mode, 92 bots killed 🙂

Anyways, a bit of a graphical bug, mostly on menus. A dot grid of sorts. Interesting thing is the glitch changed depending on which graphics settings I chose.

This was my first time running it at anything less then full res 3440×1440. I was at 1920×809 or something.

During gameplay the glitch was not visible except when there was a flash on the screen like when I hit.

Here’s a screen shot: Grid Dots Glitch

Kickstarter Backer

A couple graphical menu bugs.

For this one I downloaded Overload to my OLD Macbook Pro. This thing is definitely not up to the recommended specs, but surprisingly did great at lower settings. I was impressed how well it did, honestly. Anyways, Mid 2010 Macbook Pro 7,1, 2.4 Core 2 Duo, 8 GB RAM, Geforce 320M 256MB VRAM (I know wow)…

I ran it at full resolution 1280×800 and everything was glitch free, but low FPS of course.

With the Mac versions, graphical issues seem to appear at lower resolutions. It was the same on my iMac.

When I tried launching it in 800×500 it was just useless. All I got was this horizon looking screen with a small glitch on it:
    800x500

Moving up to 800×600 I had better luck. I could at least somewhat make out the menu. This is what I got:
    800x600

Interestingly enough, on my iMac and on this Macbook Pro toggling different graphics settings affected how much glitching there was. Especially V-SYNC. Turning V-SYNC on and off resulted in different levels of glitch and sometimes a clean screen.

At 800×600 in game play it didn’t use the aspect ratio of the resolution. It stretched the image, for some reason, to match the widescreen of the Macbook.

Another note though. Surprisingly, it played really smooth at 800×600, which was nice to see on so old a machine.

DevZeroDevZero
    Participant
    • Linux: Excessive screen shaking when firing or moving (reported here)
    • Linux: Intermittent crash of window manager at game launch (reported here)

I can reproduce both issues on my Ubuntu 14.04 64bit computer. The window manager crash does not occur when starting the game in non-windowed mode. The screen shaking problem is quite severe though and makes playing the Teaser impossible.

On the Kickstarter page there is a comment suspecting that joystick or mouse input “noise” might be the cause but in my opinion this is unlikely because the “input noise” would be there always, not only when shooting. I suspect that the code that calculates the recoil on the player’s ship might have some numeric issues (overflow, typecast problem, etc.). When I shoot the primary weapon the shaking is less intensive and sometimes even fades out after a minute or two (provided that you do cease-fire).

Information about my system:
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty (x86-64), Linux 3.13, Cinnamon 2.8.6
    AMD A6-5400K APU with Radeon HD 7540D, 8GB RAM
    Graphics Driver: fglrx-updates 2:15.201

DevZeroDevZero
    Participant

I also tested the following suggestion from the Kickstarter page:

For narrowing down potential library incompatibilities, you could try launching the Overload teaser via the Steam Runtime (a collection of “standard” Ubuntu libs that Valve ship with Steam to keep things common across all distros). Depending on where/how Steam is installed, it can be invoked like this:

~/.steam/bin32/steam-runtime/run.sh ./OverloadPt.x86_64

Unfortunately it didn’t make any difference.

Aldemar Bernal
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 4

Guys, any update on the Final PT for Mac? on the KS page it says that they’ll post it on the comment section but I see no link to it.

Kickstarter Backer

Ya, I keep checking back for the updated Mac build too, but nothing I can see.

Kickstarter Backer

Guys, any update on the Final PT for Mac? on the KS page it says that they’ll post it on the comment section but I see no link to it.

They just released the updated version in a Kickstarter update.

Next Unread Topic:
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 39 total)

Forums are currently locked.

Previous Topic: Kickstarter woke me up… Next Topic: Hello There, Here a Descent Collector’s Intro 8-)