The discussion has moved over to Discord

Home Forums The Archive Playable Teaser March 2016 Bug Reports and Questions Linux & Mac Build Feedback

RSS Feed

Tagged: , , ,

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 39 total)
  • Author
    DevZeroDevZero
    Participant
    Topics: 0
    Replies: 5
    • Linux: Excessive screen shaking when firing or moving (reported here)
    • Linux: Intermittent crash of window manager at game launch (reported here)

I can reproduce both issues on my Ubuntu 14.04 64bit computer. The window manager crash does not occur when starting the game in non-windowed mode. The screen shaking problem is quite severe though and makes playing the Teaser impossible.

Hey, I have just run the new Ubuntu 16.04 64bit daily ISO DVD image and the screen shaking problem seems to be gone. So likely the issue was caused by the hardware stack (Linux kernel, X.org, MESA, etc.). Unfortunately I now get the “Sunset coloured skybox visible instead of main menu” problem when running in full-screen, but windowed mode works with performance comparable to running the teaser in Windows 7.

D.Cent
    Participant
    Replies: 7

I just upgraded to Linux Mint 18 (based on Ubuntu 16.04) and I still get the excessive screen shaking ๐Ÿ™ so I couldn’t play even a bit of the game yet. The problem also exists when running without the Steam runtime.

I’m on a x86_64 distribution (Linux Mint 18) using kernel 4.4 with a NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 on the latest stable proprietary drivers (367).

Does anybody have an idea how to work around this issue?

Kevin Bentley
    Overload Team
    Replies: 11

D.Cent: Are you getting the shaking on the menu, or just in the levels?

And DevZero, what video card do you have?

D.Cent
    Participant

D.Cent: Are you getting the shaking on the menu, or just in the levels

I get it just in the levels. It only happens when either colliding with objects or starts while shooting (no matter what kind of weapon). Once it starts, it takes a long time to stop. If needed, I can post a video of it later.

D.Cent
    Participant

I can finally provide a demo video of the screen shaking issue:

As you can see, it makes the game unplayable ๐Ÿ™

SiriusSirius
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 9
    Replies: 406

That’s… truly impressive. Not in a good way, but still.

derhassderhass
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 4
    Replies: 16

I’m having the same issue as D.Cent, the teaser is virtually unplayable on my system due to the shaking (Debian Stretch, GTX1060, NVidia proprietary drivers 370.23)

D.Cent
    Participant

The bug still exists in the latest September build (the PAX demo) ๐Ÿ™ Any feedback from the devs?

Kevin Bentley
    Overload Team

Hey guys!

I have spent quite a bit of time playing in Linux, and I haven’t been able to reproduce the problem! Can you give me any clues as to when the problem starts (e.g. while a robot is blowing up, etc.)?

D.Cent
    Participant

Hey guys!

I have spent quite a bit of time playing in Linux, and I havenโ€™t been able to reproduce the problem! Can you give me any clues as to when the problem starts (e.g. while a robot is blowing up, etc.)?

Hi Kevin,

thank you for answering. The problem starts right when you shoot, collide with a wall or collect any item. The screen shaking stops after a while, so I guess it is some kind of wrong calculated value for the usual shaking.

I can reproduce the issue on four of my machines, with both the Steam and the DRM free version, running on openSUSE Linux 13.2, Linux Mint 17.2, Linux Mint 17.3 and Linux Mint 18 (Mint is based on Ubuntu). All machines have an NVIDIA card (650M, 860M, GTX 760, GTX 1070), so I can’t really tell whether it’s a manufacturer specific bug.

If you need any more info, let me know! ๐Ÿ™‚

EDIT: The problem also occurs on Intel GPUs (just tested).

derhassderhass
    Kickstarter Backer

Hey guys!
    I have spent quite a bit of time playing in Linux, and I havenโ€™t been able to reproduce the problem! Can you give me any clues as to when the problem starts (e.g. while a robot is blowing up, etc.)?

It is the same for me as D.Cent reports. It is always happening, immediately after I fire primary or secondary weapon. If I fire a single impulse shot, the effect is relatively weak (but still unplayable), and ends after 2 or 3 seconds. If I fire a missile, the shaking is spinning totally out of control, and doesn’t stop even after 30 seconds. It also starts when a nearby robot fires at me. I don’t know if an exploding robot would also trigger it, because it is kind of impossible to kill a robot when your ship goes crazy with every fire operation.

Unfortunately, I don’t have any ideas on how to reproduce the issue. It is always present on my machine, and I’ve no clue what it might be related to, if it doesn’t happen on every linux box. It might even by related to some configuration. I’m running a bare X11 server + classical window manager (ctwm), no desktop environment, no compositing, so I’m quiet far away from the typical end user config.

The Windows version runs quite flawless in wine (at least in d3d9 mode), but it doesn’t detect my joystick ๐Ÿ™

Kevin Bentley
    Overload Team

I just wanted to let everyone know that I’m still working to reproduce this! Today I tested on four different linux machines, an NVIDIA Titan, a 650M, and two intel graphics machines (the first three were Ubuntu machines, the 4th was Kali linux). I still haven’t been able to reproduce it, but I will keep trying different variations.

derhassderhass
    Kickstarter Backer

Hi Kevin,

thnx for looking into this.

I think we can rule out the graphics card / driver as the cause. I just tried with mesa’s llvmpipe software rasterizer. The game “runs” at maybe 1 to 2 fps, but the issue is still present – after firing a missile, the ship still spins completely out of control.

hypersonic
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 18
    Replies: 220

You fire with a joystick button? Does it also happen if you fire with a keyboard key instead?

derhassderhass
    Kickstarter Backer

You fire with a joystick button? Does it also happen if you fire with a keyboard key instead?

It happens no matter if I fire with Joystick, Mouse, Keyboard. I also disabled mouse in the menu and disconnected the joystick, and it still happens with keyboard only. Doesn’t seem to be related to the input at all.

Next Unread Topic:
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 39 total)

Forums are currently locked.

Previous Topic: Kickstarter woke me up… Next Topic: Hello There, Here a Descent Collector’s Intro 8-)