The discussion has moved over to Discord

Home Forums Classic 6DOF Games Mike Kulas, you sneaky, wonderful son of a gun…

RSS Feed
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    D2DiscipleD2Disciple
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 18
    Replies: 81

::Playing Red Faction: Armageddon for the first time::

::Thinks to myself:: “Self, this is a great linear third-person action adventure. But it’s sad to see how far it’s drifted from the original game, which clearly took a lot of inspiration and technology from Desc–”

Familiar?

“Oh, well that looks familiar…”

Inferno GX

“Wha?– Oh, OOOOOH. I see what you did there.”

HUD even looks the same!

“Well hot fresh dang on a 6DOF bun. It’s Descent.”

BTW: If you get the chance, pick up Armageddon. I didn’t when it came out because A. I didn’t have a computer that would run it, and B. I’m not a big third-person-shooter fan, and reviews made out like it was mediocre at best. It’s not – it’s the kind of brilliantly big, loud, dumb, and hilarious shoot-a-palooza that games just aren’t anymore due to repetitive design, excessive exposition, or just taking themselves too seriously. Check it out. Kulas and Volition deserved way more kudos – and sales – than they got with this game.

Just posted this for fun. 🙂

Haunted ParraspHaunted Parrasp
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 31
    Replies: 428

That last is certainly true.
    I had thought at the time that this section of the game maybe, just maybe, was a shout-out to Descent fans saying Kulas and the original Parallax folks wanted to do something like Descent again. But I dismissed it as wishful thinking.

And then Overload happened. 😮

Ship’s cat, MPSV Iberia
    Check out his original music @ http://vertigofox.bandcamp.com/

Mike Kulas
    Overload Team
    Topics: 24
    Replies: 186

Hah, glad you liked it.

I had nothing to do with that going in the game. I’m not sure who was behind it — maybe the producer, Jim Boone?

YoshimitsuYoshimitsu
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 57
    Replies: 421

With a reticle like that it must’ve been a Descent fan.

SiriusSirius
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 9
    Replies: 406

I think the reviews went the way they did because Guerilla was kind of sandboxy and let you use the geo-mod tech pretty creatively, while Armageddon was a lot more linear and didn’t make that much use of the feature (this based on second-hand recollections, I still need to make time to play through them actually). So people who liked RF:G for what RF:G was good at were disappointed when they got something different in the follow-up.

D2DiscipleD2Disciple
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 18
    Replies: 81

Hah, glad you liked it.

I had nothing to do with that going in the game. I’m not sure who was behind it — maybe the producer, Jim Boone?

Interesting… I guess there were plenty of Descent fans on the Red Faction team even that late. Cool!

I think the reviews went the way they did because Guerilla was kind of sandboxy and let you use the geo-mod tech pretty creatively, while Armageddon was a lot more linear and didn’t make that much use of the feature (this based on second-hand recollections, I still need to make time to play through them actually). So people who liked RF:G for what RF:G was good at were disappointed when they got something different in the follow-up.

I’ve played a good bit of both, and Red Faction: Guerrilla and Armageddon both have something the other lacks. Guerrilla rewards good decision-making, planning, strategy, and patience, but lacks diversity in combat and objectives. Armageddon’s combat is more immediate, varied, and viscerally gratifying, but it’s as linear as a side-scroller. They’re perfect examples of how open-world and linear designs are neither better nor worse, but merely different. To be honest, they’re both great games with very few flaws and they’re perfect compliments to each other.

I must say I prefer Armageddon, though. To me, the entertainment value of a shooter comes down to it’s core mechanic – shooting. Armageddon does shooting really, really well – better than Guerrilla, IMO – with awesome weapon and enemy design. I think Armageddon arguably makes better use of the geo-mod engine, too: Guerrilla often tasks you with taking down buildings creatively using limited tools, but Armageddon gives you a magnet gun with limitless ammo and encourages you to go nuts and weaponize EVERYTHING.

ShroudeyeShroudeye
    Participant
    Topics: 12
    Replies: 84

Funny you guys mentioned Red Faction: Armageddon… I’ve just recently played its Path to war DLC: Its first mission pretty much put a smile on my face 🙂

I’ve played the Red Factions 1 thru 4 on PC, and saw the ending of all except RF2. I loved the soundtrack from RF: Guerilla, my favorite is the one that plays in the credits screen & its in-game variant.

Haunted ParraspHaunted Parrasp
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 31
    Replies: 428

Yeah, it was a much longer section than the main game wasn’t it?

And that song! Did you notice the bassline in Overload’s menu track?

Ship’s cat, MPSV Iberia
    Check out his original music @ http://vertigofox.bandcamp.com/

ShroudeyeShroudeye
    Participant
    Topics: 12
    Replies: 84

Yeah, it is there, just a little more “calm” than its RFG counterpart. 🙂

DuperDuper
    Participant
    Topics: 1
    Replies: 10

I have this game and never got all the way through it. I think Mass effect 3 got in the way. oops. I’ll have to go through and look for this. Some serious awesome there. And a nice punch at the “other guys” who could have benefited from the creativity. 😉

“The cat was already dead when I got there.” -Curiosity

Next Unread Topic:
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

Forums are currently locked.

Previous Topic: New Game Plus / Respec Next Topic: Syrinx Insane 467 and Total Leaderboard Capture