The discussion has moved over to Discord

Home Forums Overload Multiplayer Mouse Limiting – Multiplayer

RSS Feed
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 47 total)
  • Author
    YoshimitsuYoshimitsu
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 57
    Replies: 421

I also love the greater maneuverability over Descent. I went back to Descent 2 recently and it felt sluggish (SolC is somewhere in between). As I’ve played more, Overload has become my favorite flight model of the 3. I use dual joysticks with turning speed set to Normal and it feels great! I have excellent control over the ship and I can consistently get myself into the top 10 of the Insane Challenge Mode leaderboards. I recently played SolC with Yinut and Miasmic (separately) who are also in the CM top 10 and we were very closely matched. Granted SolC has a forced turn limit like Descent but it’s a much faster one and I kept up just fine. It has nothing like the Driller though…

Vainiac
    Participant
    Topics: 1
    Replies: 11

Birds, I’m not convinced the jittering you demonstrated will be particularly viable in MP either, but it’s something we can play around with once we have the opportunity.

The broader concern that high turn rates reduce the importance of the positional aspect of combat is still a valid one though. The combination of aiming and position aspects of the originals gave them a unique feel, I’d personally like to see that translated here as well.

DarkwingDivaDarkwingDiva
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 29
    Replies: 346

**Literally never heard the term groundpounders outside of the Corps until these forums, where it is more often than not used in a derogatory manner.

Oorah, from a fellow Devil Dog.

I too believe the jittering issue is overstated. It confuses the bots so much because of the leading code they have is meant to track your trajectory, so naturally if your trajectory is constantly changing, they’d get confused. A human would not be so confused as the movement would be so small as not to make much of a difference in my opinion.

While I feel the strategic enhancement of positional combat is valid, I also feel it’s overstated. Surely there is a middle ground that you can have greater positional combat without sacrificing too much mouse control.

I don’t think challenging someone to a 1v1 is going to prove your point to anyone Jediluke.

JedilukeJediluke
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 4
    Replies: 14

Inviting him to 1 v 1 with me in Descent wasn’t designed to ‘prove a point’.

I invited him to a 1 v 1 to help him gain experience with what it is all about. My point is valid; his 20 minute impression is not on the same level as my 20 years of experience.

The only way I can help give him perspective is to play with him.

Then again, the tactics one would use vs someone in a p2p scenario that is of high ping due to being on 2 different sides of the world is a bit different (and less enjoyable imo) than playing someone with sub 60 pings.

YinutYinut
    Participant
    Topics: 10
    Replies: 55

I have played ~10 hours of Descent MP and I’ve watched a couple of streams and videos of competitive players. While it’s not a lot, I think it’s enough to form an opinion. But hey if you feel like I’ve said anything profoundly wrong here on the forums feel free to go into detail and actually explain what is it that I said wrong. You know actually say something useful other than calling me “inexperienced”. Also calling me to a 1v1 so you can stomp me in a game where you literally have over 20 years over me isn’t really going to prove anything.

JedilukeJediluke
    Kickstarter Backer

2 things likely happening. I’m not doing a good job of explaining myself or you aren’t doing a good job of listening….either way I don’t see much changing. Your opinion is valid. So is mine.

I was under the impression that I made it clear that I was voicing an opinion in favor of strong limiting vs instant turning and that I preferred to have everyone limited but conceded that my preference would likely not be the popular choice and hoped that the devs would give us CHOICE when hosting private games.

Again, inviting you to a 1 v 1 was not to show you that I can utterly destroy you but to help you see what is possible in Descent 1 v 1 from a tactics stand point even with the much greater ‘mouse limiting’ effect in Descent.

Again, conceded that tactics in high ping games are different from low ping ones as missiles becoming more important to cut through the higher ping lag.

You have put in as much time playing Descent as I have put in playing Overload. Clearly we have both played enough to form an opinion. This doesn’t mean that more time in Overload won’t change my mind nor that more time in Descent won’t change yours. MP tactics are different from 1 v 1 however so I would recommend exploring that and if interested I am happy to be both a teacher and an opponent for you in Descent.

To be clear, I’m not trying to have a pissing contest with any of you. I prefer to settle things 1 v 1 in the mines. For now that is only possible in Descent but I’m hoping for some 1 v 1 action in Overload in the near future.

birdseyebirdseye
    Participant
    Topics: 6
    Replies: 45

Birds, I’m not convinced the jittering you demonstrated will be particularly viable in MP either, but it’s something we can play around with once we have the opportunity.

The broader concern that high turn rates reduce the importance of the positional aspect of combat is still a valid one though. The combination of aiming and position aspects of the originals gave them a unique feel, I’d personally like to see that translated here as well.

Ya I have no idea how things will turn out until we actually all play. I figured I’d show what I thought was possible and see how things work out — MP beta is coming so soon the real discussion will happen once play starts. We’re just theorizing right now, the video is just food for thought until we’re in the mines.

Personally I’ve adapted to the turn rates. I didn’t like them at first but now I feel its superior than any of the descent games. I also want more people playing overload and I feel that the turn rates appeal more to the general public. My only concern is having an advantage over joysticks or gamepads.

It does offer something new and exciting. I am cautiously optimistic — these are the guys that brought us so much past joy, I think they’ve already gotten it right or will tweak it until it is right. Oh, and what mouse setting are you on, Z? (I will probably stick with Strong)

Miasmic, I think either I didn’t explain it well or you didn’t understand if those were your takeaways. I’d be happy to chat sometime on Discord about it if you want, might be easier.

zero
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 12
    Replies: 19

I have mine set on normal, might switch to weak. Sensitivity is at 7

TerminalTerminal
    Participant
    Replies: 18

Strong or weak, I don’t care. we better decide on one so that we can master it instead of overshooting or undershooting from switching limiting rates.

CHILLYBUSCHILLYBUS
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 61
    Replies: 173

I have mine set on normal, might switch to weak. Sensitivity is at 7

is your dpi like twelve billion or something holy crap dude

JedilukeJediluke
    Kickstarter Backer

Normal and sensitivity set to 7? Are you +4 on the turn speed?

I am at Strong but sensitivity set to 21 and set at +4 on turn speed.

I might try out normal with a much lower sensitivity to see what it is like.

JedilukeJediluke
    Kickstarter Backer

Just tried
    NORMAL
    Sens 7
    DPI 1100

Dude, that is as slow as Descent or slower on the turning.

STRONG
    Sens 21
    DPI 1100

Is way more maneuverable. Interesting.

What DPI are you using ZERO?

In fact, I think I’ll start a new thread where we can all share our settings….could be very helpful for people.

Luke Schneider
    Overload Team
    Replies: 115

A quick FYI:

Just tracked down the bug with mouse controls. During the change to MP-friendly control logic, part of the mouse caching system was moved into Update() instead of FixedUpdate(). The result is the mouse controls are framerate-dependent in the latest PT. We have it fixed and will update the playable teaser soon. Sorry about the problem.

I’ll do another separate post about the joystick ramping and how it works, and the current plan for MP balance.

Luke

phyrex
    Participant
    Topics: 0
    Replies: 6

Oh that would explain the much faster turn rates I was getting with limiting on in the PT build:)

JedilukeJediluke
    Kickstarter Backer

Thanks for the heads up Luke, we appreciation you!

Next Unread Topic:
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 47 total)

Forums are currently locked.

Previous Topic: Playable Teaser 3.0 Next Topic: Pressing opposite keys result in moving in one direction