The discussion has moved over to Discord

Home Forums Overload Multiplayer Multiplayer performance

RSS Feed
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    a23857738
    Participant
    Topics: 4
    Replies: 5

Not sure if it’s my internet, but I tried multiplayer the other day (GOG version) and it was unplayable. The other player ships were skipping frames as they moved. What are the recommended bandwidth specs for the game?

krayzkrokkrayzkrok
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 10
    Replies: 185

The main thing is having a good ping to the server. There are several, in the US, Europe and Australia. Unfortunately at the moment there’s no way of selecting a server, the game should pick one depending on combined pings. It’s not always ideal. Keep trying, see how it performs on different servers. Make sure you’re not taking up bandwidth with other tasks either.

I find the game is playable up to a ping of 150 or so. Higher than that and it can get frustrating. Some people find it’s unplayable at anything more than 50 ms, but for me that would be pure luxury! You have to learn to lead your targets though – you’re only doing damage to the target if it flashes. Choose weapons that aren’t as reliant upon precision, such as cyclone, flak, hunters and nova.

a23857738
    Participant
    Topics: 4
    Replies: 5

You have to learn to lead your targets though – you’re only doing damage to the target if it flashes. Choose weapons that aren’t as reliant upon precision, such as cyclone, flak, hunters and nova.

Yeah, that’s a no go for me unfortunately (and my ping is in the 50s). I want to play Overload, not a skeet shooting simulator.

hurleybird
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 6
    Replies: 41

It’s not only about bandwidth and latency, but also about packet consistency. If you’re using a wireless router, try connecting via an ethernet cable. Make sure there aren’t torrents, downloads, or malware running in the background. Even if you’re using a wired connection, a cheap router or poor router settings can lead to packet loss. If you’re using a router at all, try connecting your PC directly to the modem for one game to see if that solves the issue. If so, you’ve found the source of the problem and can focus your attention on the router.

Next Unread Topic:
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

Forums are currently locked.

Previous Topic: How to make your ship move faster (tri-chording) Next Topic: Lunar Outposting Competition