The discussion has moved over to Discord

Home Forums Community Hijinks and Random Stuff Music to blow stuff up by.

RSS Feed
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    urungusurungus
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 4
    Replies: 28

I know the music in Descent was always highly suitable for play. But, anything else you like to listen to while doling out hot carnage?

YoshimitsuYoshimitsu
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 57
    Replies: 421

Actually playing Overload I like to hear it’s own awesome music. That said, every time I flood the map with creepers and wait for the kills to start racking up, or if I see a robot running from a cloud of creepers “Creeping Death” by Metallica pops into my head! 😛

bemosabemosa
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 39
    Replies: 240

Plug for Papersailboat! He’s a fellow Overload / Descent fan who makes some great atmospheric/ambient tracks that I find to be a good companion to the game:

https://papersailboat.bandcamp.com

It’s a better fit for the campaign than CM imho, less ‘aggressive’ than what we have now. Custom playlists would be a nice feature for Overload. I also like playing the game with music off, so I can really appreciate the subtleties in Dan’s sound effects — with music off the game has more of a ‘alone in space’ feeling which I really enjoy (also why I like papersailboats tracks – though I do find them a bit toppy at times).

There are also spatial ambience effects in the pipeline which I am really looking forward to. I haven’t actually turned the music off in the EA builds yet, it might already be in the game. Edit -> Nope, not yet.

bemosabemosa
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 39
    Replies: 240

Another thing I wanted to mention..

Ambient/atmospheric tracks work really well when you have become lost in-game *cough bemosa cough* – OR you are taking your time (my play style with campaign levels) – I find it can be frustrating if I have become lost and the music is still bangin’ like a Metallica concert.

Just a thought – perhaps algorithms could be written so that if you were X distance from bots, the music chills out a bit somehow (different track / fades down / audio b-roll). Probably a bit late to be bringing this up but I just wanted to throw it out there.

krayzkrokkrayzkrok
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 10
    Replies: 185

I love the music in Overload. I also love the sound effects. Which to prioritize? What a dilemma! I went into the sound options and discovered, curiously, that the music was set to volume 9 and the sound effects to 8! No wonder I had to turn my amp up so high. Not sure if this is something I did in the past, or whether it’s a bug (or bizarre setting) but yeah, pumping up the SFX to 90 and the music to 30 is a good balance for me. It makes the effects crackle, and the music’s not overwhelming but still quite audible.

+1 for Papersailboat. On Worker’s Day basically sounds like a Descent OST anyway, parts remind of the old D1 midi tracks, others the D2 redbook.

Haunted ParraspHaunted Parrasp
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 31
    Replies: 428

I like to listen to what’s in the game but when I get bored of it… I put on a mix of stuff that’s got a lot of my own songs and Nine Inch Nails. I like having lyrics in the background for whatever reason. And for some reason (definitely not because I love Descent’s music and still listen to it sometimes) my own songs tend to fit this sort of game very well, even when the lyrics aren’t really having anything to do with it.

Ship’s cat, MPSV Iberia
    Check out his original music @ http://vertigofox.bandcamp.com/

urungusurungus
    Kickstarter Backer

Definitely a Hard Rock/Metal fan myself. Though I’ve always had an itch to scratch for Techno, (currently Psytrance). Tons of new material to choose from. Certainly wasn’t the case way back in the ’80s when all you had was mail order music or the local record store.

Kickstarter Backer

I can imagine something like Aphex Twin could work really nicely with this game too. Futuristic and weird in ways that are sometimes unsettling.

Ship’s cat, MPSV Iberia

CHILLYBUSCHILLYBUS
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 61
    Replies: 173

I’ve got a huge Drum n’ Bass playlist I use to cool out over Duke Nukem 3D.

I also put this playlist together of cool tunes that sound good and stuff: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLOjhHBV53PGQXFgyByA2BEPt5BeD_L1Oo — the idea isn’t to compile classic soundtracks into a big thing, but to make a list of somewhat identifiable but universally usable tunes to shoot stuff to!

booster
    Participant
    Topics: 0
    Replies: 1

WHat program do you use to play your own music in game? I’d like to have my own playlist and then the games sfx. thanks

CHILLYBUSCHILLYBUS
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 61
    Replies: 173

Spotify or a browser with Youtube running, and in some instances I use MediaMonkey. Spotify and MM allow remote control of the music while you’re playing, but a YT playlist requires tabbing out to control it.

Kickstarter Backer

Foobar2000 for offline (or if I’m playing online because my internet isn’t that good), because it lets you set up global hotkeys to control anything from the playlist to the volume without using an alt-tab.

Ship’s cat, MPSV Iberia

DuperDuper
    Participant
    Topics: 1
    Replies: 10

Ghosts of August have some pretty good tracks.

“The cat was already dead when I got there.” -Curiosity

urungusurungus
    Kickstarter Backer

I just use iTunes, or YouTube.

rapturraptur
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 29
    Replies: 134

I use cmus 😀

Next Unread Topic:
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)

Forums are currently locked.

Previous Topic: Gamepad weapon select misfeature Next Topic: Centrifuge Hotshot 235 (New Record)