The discussion has moved over to Discord

Home Forums Overload Development New Game Plus / Respec

RSS Feed
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    CHILLYBUSCHILLYBUS
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 61
    Replies: 173

Forgive me if this has been covered elsewhere; work is slow this week but not so bad I’m about to go google for something lol

Anyway, are there plans for Overload to have a New Game Plus mode? It’d be neat to experience early levels with an accumulation of upgrades already unlocked. This would be even more fun if robots from later levels would show up in random locations in earlier levels on later playthroughs, but that’s probably worth its own thread. Subsequent playthroughs would give additional upgrade points until you have everything unlocked, and at the start of each new game you can select a different difficulty level (or maybe it’s incremented up all on its own?).

To better incorporate multiple playthroughs of the game, perhaps in the New Game menu you can select the highest one your profile has made it to, similar to how D1/2/3 handled level select (‘select any level up to P2 L6’, with two text boxes). If the player starts on any level in a subsequent playthrough, they’d get X*Y number of upgrade points, where X is an arbitrary value multiplied by the number of PTs they’ve entered. Then, before launching, the player would be shown the upgrade interface to spend their points accordingly.

ALSO

Will Overload support going back and changing our upgrade setup? Say I’m decked out to maximize move speed, but now I want to hold a ton of ammo for a Crusher-DX, and don’t have enough points to do so. I’m not sure how this could be particularly abusable in terms of making things too easy or risk-less to the player…but I could definitely see a balance for it being that you have to spend like 5 upgrade points (or 7, or 10, or forfeit some already assigned points on higher difficulties) to reset the ones you’ve already spent.

TwoCablesTwoCables
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 118
    Replies: 1474

Yeah, I would love it if I could complete the campaign and still keep all of my upgrades so that I could eventually complete the campaign enough times to be *FULLY* upgraded. Imaging starting the campaign with *ALL* of the upgrades!

And yeah, being able to go back at some point to change my upgrades would be very nice as well. Like I say I chose the Rapid Fire upgrade for Impulse but now I want Quad. I’d love to be able to switch to it somehow, somewhere.

Prepare for Overload…

SiriusSirius
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 9
    Replies: 406

Another thing that might be fun for a custom (probably third-party?) campaign would be a Megaman-style hub menu… you can choose whichever out of a group of levels to play next, even replay them if you want, to get more upgrade points etc, before moving onto the boss stages.

Of course that would probably require some substantial scripting 🙂

D2DiscipleD2Disciple
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 18
    Replies: 81

I totally agree with the New Game Plus idea. It would be particularly well-suited to balancing higher-difficulty runs, such as unlocking quite a few upgrades in a Hotshot run, then starting an Ace run with all the upgrades already intact (or Insane, if you’re into that). I’m sure there will be those that will immediately start doing “Insane cold start with no upgrade” level runs, but for the rest of us, I think it would add a fair amount of replayability.

Speaking of difficulty levels; I’m thinking it might be a good idea to lock “Insane” behind an unlock wall where the player must first complete the campaign on Hotshot or Ace. Of course, they could choose to either cold start an Insane run afterwards or do a New Game Plus on it, but I think it would curb potential newcomers who are like “yeehah, hard mode, I got this” in a game where Insane is truly, punishingly difficult. It would also encourage further play-throughs.

DarkwingDivaDarkwingDiva
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 29
    Replies: 346

Speaking of difficulty levels; I’m thinking it might be a good idea to lock “Insane” behind an unlock wall where the player must first complete the campaign on Hotshot or Ace. Of course, they could choose to either cold start an Insane run afterwards or do a New Game Plus on it, but I think it would curb potential newcomers who are like “yeehah, hard mode, I got this” in a game where Insane is truly, punishingly difficult. It would also encourage further play-throughs.

I hate this idea. I think if players want to play a “truly, punishingly difficult” difficulty, they should be able to do so. This would be unfortunate for players like me who only play on Insane (except when being forced to play on Ace to unlock Insane in new Challenge Mode levels). I’ve beaten each of the 3 SP levels so far on Insane multiple times and it would kinda suck to have to play the entire campaign on only Ace upon release. That doesn’t encourage me to play through it again on Insane, it’s just irritating imo.

As far as new game+, I don’t care one way or the other about it. I either have the urge to pay through the game again or not, having a few extra things after beating it once doesn’t give me any more incentive to play than just “I really enjoyed that and I want to go through that again”. I know not everyone is like that though.

D2DiscipleD2Disciple
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 18
    Replies: 81

I hate this idea. I think if players want to play a “truly, punishingly difficult” difficulty, they should be able to do so. This would be unfortunate for players like me who only play on Insane (except when being forced to play on Ace to unlock Insane in new Challenge Mode levels). I’ve beaten each of the 3 SP levels so far on Insane multiple times and it would kinda suck to have to play the entire campaign on only Ace upon release. That doesn’t encourage me to play through it again on Insane, it’s just irritating imo.

I gotcha… I was just thinking out loud, my rationale being that in an industry now dominated by shooters where the player can only rarely expect to die on the hardest difficulty, it might help newcomers understand Hotshot or Ace are legitimately “hard” difficulties, and not you’re typical “medium.” But you’re right; it could frustrate 6DOF masters that *always* play on Insane.

DarkwingDivaDarkwingDiva
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 29
    Replies: 346

I gotcha… I was just thinking out loud, my rationale being that in an industry now dominated by shooters where the player can only rarely expect to die on the hardest difficulty, it might help newcomers understand Hotshot or Ace are legitimately “hard” difficulties, and not you’re typical “medium.” But you’re right; it could frustrate 6DOF masters that *always* play on Insane.

Well it makes sense in a way. I just don’t think it’ll change much. There are other games with more than 3 difficulty levels and I think it’s understood generally that whatever is in the middle is the “medium” and something above that on the harder side. Just calling the highest one “Insane” could potentially disuade some to play on the difficulty too. I imagine it’s kind of a tricky topic for most game designers, as it’s potentially hard to determine what’s best for the game vs giving the player a choice. It’s worth discussing I think.

darthkarkidarthkarki
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 17
    Replies: 88

Yeah, I would love it if I could complete the campaign and still keep all of my upgrades so that I could eventually complete the campaign enough times to be *FULLY* upgraded. Imaging starting the campaign with *ALL* of the upgrades!

Seconded, I definitely want to be fully upgraded as well 😀

I think the best way to do this is to basically just store the upgrade points on the user profile and make upgrades equippable. You always have all of the points you’ve collected, and at any time (or just in between levels) you can equip or unequip whichever upgrades you want. This way you can try new upgrades if you want before you’ve unlocked them all, you can eventually get enough points to equip them all, and you can unequip them if you want to play through the game or a level without them again, which I think should also be an option.

And actually, to clarify, I don’t think it needs a dedicated “New Game +” mode. I prefer an upgrade system like above, and once you beat a level, you can replay it again at any time, so you don’t actually need to start an actual new game. Just select whatever upgrades you want, and then play whichever level you want. If you start at level 1, you can go through the whole game again, but you can also select a later level if you just want to play that.

To do this right, we definitely need a level select screen ala Uncharted that shows the highest difficulty you have beaten each level at, as well as how many of the secrets and upgrade points you have found in that level. Then after you beat the game, you can review each level and “Oh, I missed some secrets on this one, I’ll replay that to try to find it…”

darthkarkidarthkarki
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 17
    Replies: 88

D2Disciple wrote: I’m thinking it might be a good idea to lock “Insane” behind an unlock wall

I hate this idea.

I hate this too, sorry 😀 I don’t think difficulties should ever be locked until you beat a lower one, it’s just annoying. Let the player decide which way they want to play. If they get stomped, they can lower it.

Haunted ParraspHaunted Parrasp
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 31
    Replies: 428

I’ve been doing some thinking about respeccing and it got me thinking about another game that allowed it. Long story short the system was weapon-focused like here and the upgrade screen essentially ended up being an overglorigied and laborious weapon select tool.
    Respec was a mistake in that game and I think it would be an even bigger mistake in Overload where the system is already more in-depth. The only place I can see an idea like that working is at the very start of a new game+.

Ship’s cat, MPSV Iberia
    Check out his original music @ http://vertigofox.bandcamp.com/

Next Unread Topic:
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

Forums are currently locked.

Previous Topic: Future support for TrackIR? Next Topic: Mike Kulas, you sneaky, wonderful son of a gun…