The discussion has moved over to Discord

Home Forums The Archive Playable Teaser March 2016 Comments and Feedback NEW Playable Teaser Build (5): Now available

RSS Feed
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 51 total)
  • Author
    TwoCablesTwoCables
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 118
    Replies: 1474

@snego:

For the time being, you may need to reduce your USB Polling Rate for Overload until we can have a build that’s much more optimized. (or perhaps reduce the DPI too)

Prepare for Overload…

snego
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 0
    Replies: 4

Yeah there are ways to reduce the effect. But it’s noticeably still there. Luckily with full graphics the framerate will stay at a reasonable range anyways.

Oh and another bug I forgot to mention… Thunderbolt weapon can be abused in a way. Don’t think it’s intentional.

Here’s how:
    1. Hold fire button to charge thunderbolt
    2. Hold afterburner button
    3. Release fire button
    4. Release afterburner button

Now thunderbolt is fully charged but you won’t take any damage from it overheating. Pressing fire button will instantly shoot fully charged shot. Holding fire will instantly start damaging your ship.

Another way by simply switching the weapon:
    1. Hold fire button to charge thunderbolt
    2. Switch weapon

You can shoot with other weapons and thunderbolt will keep the charge. The charge will even carry to next game if you die with full charge. 🙂

StatiCStatiC
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 6
    Replies: 89

This is a video showing that deadzone is bigger in overload than in D1 with both set to smallest amount. I have the deadzone set to the far left on all controls in D1 and I have it set to ‘smallest’ in overload. I am hoping there will be a smaller deadzone value (0 maybe) for those with more accurate joysticks around center. I like to have the most accurate aim around center for more precision aiming.

The video shows where at times I move the joystick and d1 moves but overload doesn’t. I measured it and it is about 5/16 ths of an inch more movement of the joystick from center compared to D1 and descent underground with both d1 set to smallest deadzone and DU set to 0.

Luke Schneider
    Overload Team
    Topics: 10
    Replies: 115

Hi guys: Thanks for bug reports on the mouse sensitivity, joystick deadzone, and Thunderbolt/boost interaction. Adding them to the bug list. Should be easy enough to fix at a later date.

YoshimitsuYoshimitsu
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 57
    Replies: 421

Bichording should be 41% faster (sqrt(1.0 + 1.0) -1 = ~0.4142)
    Trichording should be 73% faster (sqrt(1.0 + 1.0 + 1.0) -1 = ~0.7321)

Assuming each direction has equal thrust…

I am here all the way. I badly miss the full speed boost that I’m used to from multichording in Descent and Sol Contingency. I can fly, fight, and dodge just fine without it but for me it hurts the fun of flight and makes the ship feel heavy and sluggish.

Other observations:

– Joystick axis need separate sensitivity adjustment because;
    1. Maximum pitch speed feels a bit too slow, maybe 10%
    2. maximum roll speed feels much too fast, maybe as much as 25% too fast, and the acceleration feels jerky. I use roll constantly when I fly for compound maneuvers and to keep pointed on target while trichording, and in it’s current state it’s pretty hard to control.

– Snego’s Thunderbolt bug has another trigger. If you fire a flare while holding a charge it breaks the cycle and after the flare is away the thunderbolt continues to charge or maintain charge at the level it was at when the flare fired.

Other than these few things I feel like the game plays exactly the way I’d like. I’m delighted with everything from the art direction, to sound design, lighting, the newly beefed up hard mode, my arsenal, and most especially the bots!

-edit- thanks for the correction Twocables 🙂

TwoCablesTwoCables
    Kickstarter Backer

It was @snego who reported the bugs with the Thunderbolt.

Anyway yeah, Overload really “hits the spot” for me 100%. It melts my heart. It makes me smile and laugh and sometimes I even get close to being emotional over how much I love this game. So far, at least for right now, there isn’t a game on this planet that I love more than Overload. There isn’t a game that satisfies me more than Overload – and it’s just a playable teaser right now.

Prepare for Overload…

lukeman3000
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 10
    Replies: 21

This is pretty awesome. It looks like I’ll have something good to play when I get my Vive!

countduckulacountduckula
    Kickstarter Backer
    Replies: 1

It took a little getting used to the controls (360 controller) after re-training my brain to fly quadcopters where pitch and roll aren’t separate from movement on the horizontal axis, but it soon clicked and I’m absolutely loving the playable teaser. Even in this early stage the game looks and feels ‘right’, the darker areas look especially nice.

Very glad I backed the game and cannot wait for the full release, great work folks at revival. 🙂

MobiusMobius
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 9
    Replies: 35

Thank you Luke, and Overload peeps. The sensitivity problem is now largely resolved – but I would still like to see a level lower than “normal” for even lower sensitivity, if that is possible.

I can now be super accurate with the Thunderbolt, because it’s just like using Fusion – and the timing of the release is the accuracy control. But the stick itself is still overly sensitive. It provides a wonderfully “mobile” sensation in the cockpit, but it’s still harder than it should be, to aim when close to the reticle.

TwoCablesTwoCables
    Kickstarter Backer
    1. In 6-DoF Practice, the exit’s light effect blinks or something when I move around.

I just noticed that what I mentioned above here has been a bug ever since the difficulty was changed (the very first build that was released with the increased difficulty).

For some reason though, I didn’t notice until Build 5 (the one that was released the night before the final build of the Teaser was released). I should have noticed because I go through all 3 levels in each session of Overload, and I always start with 6-DoF Practice.

Also, a little update on this problem: it’s not just the light the the exit is producing, it’s the entire exit’s graphics in general that are glitchy. It’s not just on my computer either, you can see it here in the 24-hour live stream:

https://www.twitch.tv/revivalproductions/v/53710371 at 18:05 through 18:09. That’s what I’m seeing; all that glitchy stuff.

Prepare for Overload…

d3jaked3jake
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 3
    Replies: 118

I just now got a chance to play it.

I feel that the ship isn’t turning quite fast enough, or the buzz-saw robots reset their direction too quickly when you’re in close quarters. (Playing the Reactor mode on Hard).

Auto-switch weapon on empty ammo would be nice (I presume it’s coming).

Level lighting balance is something that will be tricky. It was an interesting experience to be in a dark hallway, and only see a headlight come around a corner. Followed by worrying about which robot it is until it starts shooting. I don’t think all levels should be this dark, but it should be a set-piece of sorts.

Robot AI seems to be too easily attracted by noise. Robots who are able to hear are good, but if you can pull all of the robots for the next three rooms, it seems a bit much.

TwoCablesTwoCables
    Kickstarter Backer

@d3jake: Destroy the Reactor is just a sample of one type of a level. Revival Productions wants to do a very good variety of level types. Notice that only a PART of Destroy the Reactor is dark.

I don’t think the AI can hear, but it can definitely see. In Challenge Mode, it seems to always know where you are too no matter what. Notice how it knows precisely where you are even if you’ve lost them and are just floating there motionless. Or how they know precisely where you are at the beginning of the level.

Regarding Blades (that’s his name); are you using a joystick? I’m seeing a few posts recently from joystick users that the turning rate is slower than maybe it ought to be. With the mouse, it’s absolutely perfect. I am a mouse and keyboard user and I have the sensitivity set to 6 and it’s perfect for me. I never feel that I need more. I hope to God that they never change the way it feels for the mouse.

Prepare for Overload…

d3jaked3jake
    Kickstarter Backer

Maybe it’s my joystick then. Until you mentioned it, I forgot about that joy vs. mouse issue. I sense that it’s a matter where the joystick control doesn’t allow the full rotational velocity to be in play.

Ferno
    Kickstarter Backer
    Replies: 10

Tried out build 5 a little bit ago — I can’t do any tri-chording with the 3dpro. Bi-chording is a little off. It works, then doesn’t. I can’t quite pin down the cause, but I think it’s input sequence-related.

d3jaked3jake
    Kickstarter Backer

Sounds about right.

Next Unread Topic:
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 51 total)

Forums are currently locked.

Previous Topic: Balancing circle strafe speed with rotation speed Next Topic: Non-expensive VR 3D options