The discussion has moved over to Discord

Home Forums The Archive Overload Early Release Version Overload Drop #4 available on Steam Early Access

RSS Feed
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Mike Kulas
    Overload Team
    Topics: 24
    Replies: 186

…and for some reason, I can’t get my post to display here. So go to the Steam discussion for information until we get this resolved. Or just go ahead and start playing. But you’ll probably want to get information on how to use Holo-Guide and save/restore.

http://steamcommunity.com/app/448850/discussions/0/1291816569122869980/

DarkwingDivaDarkwingDiva
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 29
    Replies: 346

I’m having difficulty posting to the forum as well. Build looks great so far! I sent an email with feedback. 🙂

TwoCablesTwoCables
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 118
    Replies: 1474

I took some notes in Notepad while playing to help me give some of my most productive and/or constructive type of feedback:

The Holo-Guide wheel is bad for mouse and keyboard. I am hoping for a menu that I can bring up, or at least keyboard shortcuts. I wouldn’t mind a menu like in Descent 3. I never use the Weapon Wheel for the same reason. It would be a little better if the ship didn’t move at all when trying to use the mouse to change the selection, but even that’s a pain to do.

I think it would be neat if we could have the Holo-Guide find our placed Marker. So, “Find my Marker”.

Speaking of Markers, I would love the ability to place more than just 1.

I still see that faint shadowy grid pattern of black “dots” at all times in every level as I described in my feedback e-mail on March 27th for Version 0.2 Build 13. To anyone reading this who doesn’t know what I’m talking about, you can see it most easily against red walls that are brightly-lit (like under the skylight at the start of OM3), especially if the wall is more next to you instead of directly in front of you. It has been this way ever since Version 0.2 Build 13. Once you see it, you can see it more easily everywhere else since you know what to look for.

Outer Moons 2! WOW. It is MUCH more Descent-like than Outer Moons 3. It’s also much more of a Level 3 type of level than Outer Moons 3 is. I really think all levels in Overload should be like OM2! So I guess I’m saying that I think Dan should be the only level designer. I apologize to whoever designed OM3, but OM2 is everything I was expecting from SP levels in Overload. This is what I have been waiting for! This is what I have been expecting! I never truly liked OM3, and I have actually been hoping that OM3 isn’t indicative of the way all the levels will be. OM2 has everything a Descent 1 & 2 fan could ever ask for and more. It makes OM3 feel like it should be the first level, or maybe even some kind of demo or training level. OM2 is amazing. I love OM2! I have a lot of specific compliments to give about OM2. I might make a separate thread or reply for it. I don’t know what the plan is for OM3, but OM2 is everything that OM3 needs to be. OM2 is a properly-done level for a spiritual successor of Descent 1 and 2.

The switches don’t look like switches to me. They look like new red lights. The first time I saw a switch was just outside the Cryo chamber in OM3 in the secret compartment containing the Hunters (I played OM3 first in order to warm up). When I saw the switch, I basically said, “Oh, that’s a nice new light. Why is there a light there though? Huh… that’s cool I guess. It’s kinda big though, but whatever.” When I discovered that the Cryo door was locked, I thought it was a bug (the e-mail said there’s a bug with locked doors, but it was pertaining to save/load, so I was a little confused about the Cryo chamber being locked). I didn’t go looking for a switch after that either. I instead hoped that destroying the reactor resulted in opening that door and a nice long countdown so that I could get the Cryotubes. Yes, I should’ve known that “the new red light” was a switch because we are told there are switches in the game now, but still. What about first-timers playing this game?

In OM2, I didn’t know that there’s a locked secret door above me at the very start of the level. I saw the switch, but I was like, “Oh, there’s another one of those new red lights. Huh…” I only realized that these “new red lights” are switches by accidentally destroying the one that’s just beneath the secret door that contains a Gorgon in the ceiling. In Descent 1 and 2, switches are very obvious. You just know that they are something to shoot. You just know that something will happen if you shoot one. The switch in Overload so far just looks like a special red light.

I absolutely LOVE the sound of destroying the displays! You brought back the old sound and enhanced it! Don’t change it. It’s perfect!!! Thank you for doing this too. When I saw the first display in OM2, I actually paused before shooting it and hoped I would hear that classic sound. Then I shot it. When I heard that sound, I actually started clapping. I applauded you. 🙂 Not only did you bring back the sound, but it also LOOKS the same in that short moment while it’s being destroyed! Nicely done, you guys. NICELY DONE.

Speaking of moments that I applaud you for in OM2: I love that you put a Goblin in front of that light in the shaft at the start of the level and all you can see is a menacing shadow making you think it’s another Ogre. lol That was a funny moment for me. “Oh, it’s just a Goblin. LOL”

Smash Attack still fails to execute properly on bots for some reason, and I really don’t know what causes it. Here’s what I’m talking about: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tcpw_PeuHUM&t=42s It seems this can happen to any bot now.

Smash Attacking a Scorpion can result in being clawed (and damaged from the clawing) about 1 second after Smashing, long after some distance has been created between us. It’s more likely to occur on a failed Smash.

I can still Smash a bot for a short time after it has been destroyed.

Golem needs an obvious “I see you!” sound like all the other bots have (except for Scorpion, which makes sense for him since he’s very much like Diamond Claw). Even the Omega bots in Descent 2 screamed like a woman upon seeing us, and Golem is modeled after them. So, we don’t necessarily need an attack sound as much as we need a warning sound that they’re in the room and they spotted us. It’s nice to have an attacking sound though.

Speaking of his new attack sound, I hope it’s just a placeholder. It’s obviously just Blades’ sound tweaked a little bit.

The lockdown room needs an incentive to initiate the lockdown. Maybe we need locked doors that open up upon completing it that contain a few good powerups. Right now, there’s really no incentive to do the lockdown. There’s no reward or anything. Perhaps the lockdown should be returned to the way it was where the lockdown is initiated upon entering the room (instead of starting by grabbing the Overdrive powerup), and perhaps you can see from just outside the room before you enter that there are some very good powerups inside some secret areas that are currently open. Yeah, I’m talking about bait! These secret areas that I’m talking about should close up and lock when you initiate the lockdown (which should only happen upon entering the room), and then would ONLY open back up if you complete the lockdown.

In OM3 where the Overdrive powerup is just before finding the reactor, I can still see its light glowing through the door. No I’m not telling everyone where it is. It’s a secret that you have to find. I’m sure the team knows where it is. It’s the only Overdrive powerup down there.

In Foundry, I am finding a strange difficulty in navigating it in comparison to the original. In the final iteration of the original Foundry, it was a piece of cake to navigate and always know where I am. Visibility was perfect. I don’t know what it is about the new Foundry. Perhaps textures are becoming too detailed, or maybe it’s too dark in there. Or maybe it’s just me. I don’t know. Maybe I just need to think of it as a completely new level that I’ve never played before. I’m not sure. I’ll keep testing it. I think I just didn’t expect it to be this different.

Sometimes after playing a level, I somehow end up with menu buttons that need to be clicked lower than they appear. Like, the actual clickable area is moved down a ways on every button in the entire menu system. I don’t know how to reproduce it.

That’s all I can think of at the moment.

Prepare for Overload…

TwoCablesTwoCables
    Kickstarter Backer

This is a separate thought. It’s inspired by papersailboat’s feedback (that’s a link to a post in a private forum) regarding updates that should be made to the Training level. I agree with everything he said. It definitely needs to be true to the name “training”. It should have all the elements, and it should teach the player about them and how to handle them, etc. Here’s the part of papersailboat’s feedback on the Training level:

I would like to recommend adding a little more to the training level to illustrate some of the more nuanced aspects of the game, for example: showing the player how to use the guide bot, showing the player what a key is and why they will need it, showing the player what a matcen is and how to destroy it, and possibly showing the player the reactor and explaining that this is the main objective for most levels. I realize that spells out a great deal, but I think it’s easy to forget as an old-school Descent player that some people will start the game and have no idea where they are going or why.

For example, the switches. Switches should be taught if their look isn’t going to change. I seriously feel they just look like simple new red lights. After some discussions in the chat a few hours ago, I know I’m definitely not the only one who didn’t know they are switches.

But yeah, the Training level should really be a true training area – if possible. What I mean by “if possible” is, I would imagine that doing a good job with that would be quite time-consuming.

Prepare for Overload…

themasterblasterthemasterblaster
    Participant
    Topics: 1
    Replies: 4

The new Holo-Bot brought back Descent to me in a big way now that I have played it a bit. It’s great you can add him or not.
    I noticed the placement of bots is somewhat predictable. When I enter a room, if there is one on the right, there is typically one on the left. It sure would be great if the game could make their placement random for each game. This would really increase the replayability factory which for a SP game at heart, is very important.
    Also, I sure hope you are working on offering a higher FOV. The game feels a bit confined and small at 80. I would really like to see 100 offered.
    Great job Dev’s. It becoming clearer and clearer that only you can bring Descent back to us.

TwoCablesTwoCables
    Kickstarter Backer

The new Holo-Bot brought back Descent to me in a big way now that I have played it a bit. It’s great you can add him or not.
    I noticed the placement of bots is somewhat predictable. When I enter a room, if there is one on the right, there is typically one on the left. It sure would be great if the game could make their placement random for each game. This would really increase the replayability factory which for a SP game at heart, is very important.
    Also, I sure hope you are working on offering a higher FOV. The game feels a bit confined and small at 80. I would really like to see 100 offered.
    Great job Dev’s. It becoming clearer and clearer that only you can bring Descent back to us.

I suppose I should put my reply here too even though this is on the Steam forum.

One issue that I would have with randomized bot placement is, that’s not Descent to me. It would be annoying for me. I don’t know how others would feel of course, but one of the things I love about Descent 1 and 2 is I know the levels. I know where the bots are and which ones I’m about to encounter.

Another issue is, the first level will probably only have a couple of bots to randomize. The 2nd will probably add 1 more bot (this is all guesswork), etc. Then there’s the work of having to figure out where bots can be randomized and how to do it effectively so that the areas that need to be easy are still easy and the areas that need to be difficult are still difficult.

Then there’s the character of each level as well as the character of the various parts of each level. I can remember specific parts of levels in Descent 2 just because of the bots that were there. Randomizing them would’ve made those parts difficult to remember. I can think of several areas in several levels right now because I remember the bots that were there. If it weren’t for those bots, then I don’t know how I would remember those spots so well.

So far, Outer Moons 2 is pretty much the current epitome of what a level should be like for Overload since Overload is a spiritual successor to Descent 1 and 2. It makes Outer Moons 3 look like a level for an entirely different kind of 6DoF game. There are some elements in OM3 that get it right, but OM2 gets EVERYTHING right. It nails it 100% and leaves nothing to be desired, unlike OM3.

The replayability for me will be the same as it is for the replayability of Descent 1 and 2’s SP campaign, and they have tons and tons and tons of replayability – at least for me.

Prepare for Overload…

krayzkrokkrayzkrok
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 10
    Replies: 185

A randomised mode for any story level played in isolation would be neat; perhaps a rogue-lite permadeath challenge? But I agree, for the story mode bots need to be placed so that there’s a flow to the level experience, with challenging areas and breather areas.

darthkarkidarthkarki
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 17
    Replies: 88

Definitely shouldn’t be random by default, I agree, I like learning the layout. I like the optional idea though. Once you beat a level (or the game?) it unlocks a ‘rougelike’ mode with random bots and no saves. I don’t necessarily think you should have to beat the entire game with one life, but if you die you should have to restart that level. Another fun facet is allowing bots that normally show up later in earlier levels. Still allow all difficulties and have a leaderboard for the time it took you to beat each level / the entire game at each difficulty and that would be a pretty sweet additional mode.

ViciousFluidViciousFluid
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 2
    Replies: 60

Definitely shouldn’t be random by default, I agree, I like learning the layout. I like the optional idea though. Once you beat a level (or the game?) it unlocks a ‘rougelike’ mode with random bots and no saves. I don’t necessarily think you should have to beat the entire game with one life, but if you die you should have to restart that level. Another fun facet is allowing bots that normally show up later in earlier levels. Still allow all difficulties and have a leaderboard for the time it took you to beat each level / the entire game at each difficulty and that would be a pretty sweet additional mode.

Thirded! A “Rogue” permadeath mode would be pretty damn sweet

ShroudeyeShroudeye
    Participant
    Topics: 12
    Replies: 84

Allright, finally played the latest drop. Here are my thoughts about it so far:

First, the new story level: I liked it a lot. I took my time as I played for the first time, taking in the details. I cheered quite bit as I did some “vandalism” of my own, nice touch!

The level felt quite “familiar”, or “Descent-like” probably akin to what TwoCables had felt. That, and I kind of saw some of the things like ambushes and the final sequence coming after some brief examination of the surroundings… Still, I got suprised by some of them, so allright. Congrats, Dan!

By the way, the reactor room didn’t have any matcens, so I was able to examine the reactor up close… I noticed that you can “clip” into its rotating arms!

The Ogre was quite bit suprising, I first thought it was a Goblin… and got corrected “rapidly”. I found them somewhat closer to the IT droid, with some more armor. They are far less dangerous than a Guardian – I *hate* that robot (in a “good” way)!!

The return of the switch puzzles are great. I don’t mind the “box with blinking-red dot” look that much, if anything they remind me the Terminal Velocity series… At the very least, they are readable, I had no problems figuring them out. Still, including them in the tutorial level wouldn’t hurt either (lock the secret door in the second room, perhaps?).

The Foundry is also a fun level to play with, relatively focusing on tight areas. I’m at 50 or so kills on Ace so far.

For the OM3 lockdown area, I also agree that it is a little less rewarding compared to its risk. Granted, the overdrive helps the fight, but it is a fight you can totally avoid… I’d rather fight for a super upgrade or a powerful weapon. By the way, the upgrade system in the story mode feels good, and it helps the lockdown fight.(Get Homing Missile pods and pair it with Reflex. ’nuff said.)

I’m not sure about the Holographic Helper Bot: I used it so sparingly, while I was clearing the level before blowing up the reactor. Having it unable to detect bots doesn’t help much. It can pass through secret doors to get the powerups, which is cool, but was it intended? Anyways, at least it is a bit of a companion.

However, I also agree that when the selection wheels are active, the ship shouldn’t turn. It is just annoying.

Lastly, here are some small requests I’d like to make:

-First, the “standard door” and “unknown area” colors in Automap are too close to each other. You might want to consider repainting them (i.e. standard doors remain as they are/get little darker and unknown areas are marked white)

-Second, the shield counter in the “normal” reticle has too small font size, making it hard to read. Having a bigger font would help a lot.

Thank you, and congratulations for the excellent work so far. I cannot wait for the final release. Keep it up!

CHILLYBUSCHILLYBUS
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 61
    Replies: 173

I was on the fence for a while (still kind of am) re: shield readout in the reticle. I think it’s fine now, but a half-size larger might be helpful — going too big means the contrast b/w green and blue will distract the player and/or may cause aiming issues, but at the size it is now I’m using the bottom readout *way* more often, almost 100% of the time. The reticle readout size fits perfectlybin the current config — you dont want an oversize element stuck near where players will be looking most of the time. Would appreciate a switch for just the shield readout to be displayed or not, since the other elements in the normal hud are too useful to lose.

DarkwingDivaDarkwingDiva
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 29
    Replies: 346

I actually never use the readouts in the bottom center of the HUD, I exclusively use the readouts in the center of the normal reticle.

Next Unread Topic:
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

Forums are currently locked.

Previous Topic: Version 0.4 is available for Beta Backers Next Topic: Joystick Y is reversed in GuideBot menu