The discussion has moved over to Discord

RSS Feed

Tagged: 

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    bemosabemosa
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 39
    Replies: 240

I have been playing Overload on my 2017 iMac (booting to windows 10) with HTC vive. Here are the specs of the iMac:

4.2GHz quad-core 7th-generation Intel Core i7
    16GB of 2400MHz DDR4
    512GB SSD
    Radeon Pro 580 with 8GB of video memory

The game is amazing to play in VR! The lighting/sparkly effects work really well and I did not get sick (however my “scared of heights” sense did kick in a few times!).
    I played using a thrustmaster joystick, and was very happy to see the throttle slider works now too!

Occasionally (about twice per level) the frame rate would bomb for about 10 seconds and I would have to just sit there waiting until the frame rate got smooth again. I am not sure if this is because I was playing outside my “play space” or whether I should start tinkering with the graphics settings etc. If I work out how to get rid of this problem I will post an update this thread.

bemosabemosa
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 39
    Replies: 240

Sharing this update in case it is of use to any other Mac people..

My experience has been that the HTC Vive doesn’t seem to like the unofficial drivers from bootcampdrivers.com -after installing them (the Adrenalin 18.3.4 release), loading steam will crash steamVR with a 306 error. This is a shame, however I found that strangely, after rolling back to the official bootcamp drivers from apple, the performance is noticeably improved. I still had to turn down a few graphics settings, however Overload is now running perfectly in VR.

It seems the steamVR 306 error is often fixed by rolling back drivers to a previous version. I should probably try again with one of the older releases from bootcampdrivers.com, however I am happy enough with performance for now.

There is precious little info out there re: VR on the 2017 iMacs, despite them being pushed by apple as “VR ready”. I’m no expert in this area but perhaps this might help someone at some point 🙂

Next Unread Topic:
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

Forums are currently locked.

Previous Topic: Suggestions/Ideas Next Topic: Wrong ties on in-game leaderboards