The discussion has moved over to Discord

Home Forums Overload Development Overload played with Analog Keyboard

RSS Feed

This topic contains 35 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by  hypersonic 22 Jun 2018 @ 11:52am.

Viewing 6 posts - 31 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Author
    raptur
    raptur
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 29
    Replies: 134

Wow, that’s a really cool keyboard! I use WASD, QE for roll, and then left shift and caps lock for strafe down, and space bar for strafe up. I know caps lock is a weird key for movement, but sometimes I have, for example, my ring finger on W for forward and my middle finger on D for right strafe. This leaves my index finger free for boost (X), flares (F), headlight (H), or weapon select (GT). With my hand twisted that way, caps lock is the best key for my pinky to reach in case I need to strafe down suddenly. (And left shift is the best key when I have my right finger on A and my middle finger on W or S). So my ideal set-up for analog keys would be WASDQE, left shift, and caps lock. However, I’d be willing to try re-training myself to use the keys you used in the video once the keyboard is available… 😀

Also, I saw your blog post about Linux support. How fiddly is it to get everything set up? Would I need to install special drivers?

flab
    Participant
    Topics: 1
    Replies: 15

Thank you for the kind words and feedback! The current plan is for QWERASDF and the 4 arrow keys to be analog. So it is close to your setup. You could use ESDF for the WASD movement and use Q/A for strafe up/down. Not exactly the same, but maybe close enough!

Regarding Linux Support, not too bad actually. Since this isn’t a retail product (yet), currently I just run “xboxdrv” and manually point the driver at our VID:PID pair. After it is officially something you can buy I plan to have the retail VID:PID pair added officially to the driver and it would be pretty seamless for use in Linux.

As long as everything comes together that won’t be too far from now.

hypersonic
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 18
    Replies: 220

I’ve tried the cheat code ‘blaze’ and noticed that it was only modestly faster (took 2 seconds to cross a room rather than 3 seconds.) Any chance of a even faster cheat code? I was thinking ‘inferno’ but that’s already used for invulnerability. Perhaps ‘volcanic’?

With variable control over all thrusters (not just rotational), controlling tremendous amount of thrust is doable (with proportional friction.) Possible with devices such as 3DMice and analog keyboards. It would be a blast playing accelerated Overload like in the Descent videos on the bottom of the 1st page of this thread.

hurleybird
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 6
    Replies: 41

I’d like to see an analog version of something like a G13. That would make a lot of sense in that you have a smaller analog game controller with linear switches that can sit next to a larger clicky keyboard for typing.

As it stands, I’m either waiting for something like that or for a keyboard with:

-Modular switches. I don’t trust Cherry switches not to die after a few bad experiences. The 50 million number seems based on a sterile environment but in the real world dust, grime, and other foreign objects can get inside the switch and mess things up. Besides that, the ability to change switch types on a whim means you’re basically getting several keyboards for the price of one. My current keyboard is a modular one, and there’s no way I’m ever going back to non-modular.

-Full range of motion. This is where your competition Wooting falls short. It’s a limitation with the switch, but they’ve hinted that a new generation of switches is likely to enable full analog input across the entire range of the keypress.

-Full analog support on all keys. It’s conceivable although not likely that I would buy an analog keyboard where only the WASD cluster and SHIFT/CTRL/SPACE were analog. But without the later? Never.

At this point, both Wooting and Aimpad seem to have various deal breakers built in. It’s a bit frustrating that the things one company does well the other does not and vice versa. Whoever can deliver the full package first, or something appreciably close to it, will have my money.

flab
    Participant
    Topics: 1
    Replies: 15

I wouldn’t be surprised to see someone make an analog device like the G13 that hits your sweet spot.

hypersonic
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 18
    Replies: 220

It seems that ‘blaze’ doesn’t affect accelerations much if at all, tight circle strafe speed (constant acceleration) seems to be the same with it on or off, but it does seem to make top speeds roughly 50% faster. Anyone know how similar the physics is to Descent?

Next Unread Topic:
Viewing 6 posts - 31 through 36 (of 36 total)

Forums are currently locked.

Previous Topic: Robot durability Next Topic: August 17, 2016: Week 15