The discussion has moved over to Discord

Home Forums The Archive Overload Early Release Version Comments and Feedback Overly bright weapon sound fx

RSS Feed
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    nop
    Participant
    Topics: 5
    Replies: 12

(I meant to write this for quite some time.)

Overload has a lot of bright, screaming and sizzling sounds but the Driller and Impulse are ear-piercing. The Driller sounds like a processed whip, the synthesized Impulse sound seems to have distortion added. They sound almost unbearable digital and metallic if used in a cave because of the “recently” added reverb effect.

I often play without music and I can play Overload for a longer period of time only if I set my receiver treble setting to -10 db. So I’m begging: Could you re-equalize the Driller and Impulse sound?

TwoCablesTwoCables
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 118
    Replies: 1474

I agree 100% about the sound of Impulse. I’ve been trying to say this ever since its sound was changed, but I have always felt ignored. There are times I like the sound, but I still prefer the original sound from the original Playable Teaser. It was never piercing.

Prepare for Overload…

Haunted ParraspHaunted Parrasp
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 31
    Replies: 428

Agreement. Also finding the same thing with the new armour pick-up fx.

Ship’s cat, MPSV Iberia
    Check out his original music @ http://vertigofox.bandcamp.com/

krayzkrokkrayzkrok
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 10
    Replies: 185

Hmmmm, that’s odd I really like all the above, the sharp and clear sound design really stands out for me. I suspect some personal taste (and type of sound system or headphones) is also at work.

defconxdefconx
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 17
    Replies: 70

I have very sensitive hearing — but I guess that doesn’t mean I can actually hear well. So take that how you will.

But I haven’t noticed anything in the sound design that’s obnoxious. I find it all quite satisfying.

CHILLYBUSCHILLYBUS
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 61
    Replies: 173

+1 for digging the current soundscape — cohesive, informative, unique with just a few hints of nostalgia (invuln/cloak sounds are back!)

nop
    Participant
    Topics: 5
    Replies: 12

I’m not talking about taste.

People either “like” bright sounds or they don’t. Speakers/headphones are sounded to match someones taste and to distinguish themselves from the competition. The soundscape (itself) should never favor one frequency band or at least not push too far into one direction.

There are also individual sounds that are perceived as unpleasant for most people (e.g. fingernails on a board). They should only be used temporarily for effect. Listening to “uncomfortable” sounds for a longer period of time causes uncomfort (doh!) and headache.

Overload is overloaded (sorry!) with overly bright and heavily distorted/metallic sounds. It’s less of a problem for robots or hitting closed doors but weapons or hit sounds are used/heard all the time. Interestingly, there was a discussion a while back requesting to lower the volume for the aggressive Shredder and Ogre attack sounds. That’s essentially a re-equalization across the whole frequency band.

The just released 0.9/9.0 version adds even more overly bright and heavily distorted/metallic sounds for the Cyclone and robot/cave hit sounds.

I didn’t talk about subjective interesting sounds or informational value. They have no business in this thread.

krayzkrokkrayzkrok
    Kickstarter Backer
    Replies: 185

Well clearly some of us disagree with you, so there’s some subjectivity involved. There’s not a lot else that can be said unless the sound designer has some input on the matter. In the meantime, you’ve already found a solution and that’s to reduce the treble / high EQ settings on your sound system or sound driver software.

birdseyebirdseye
    Participant
    Topics: 6
    Replies: 45

I don’t like the new sounds as much as the old sound set.

After playing awhile to me the ‘super missile pack’ pickup sounds are the sounds that feel like they don’t belong in the game — every time I hear them I really ‘notice’ them from an attention standpoint, it takes some of my mental energy/focus. The old sounds were more background sounds. There’s a tendency for audio designers (I know from experience) to make perfect sounding sounds when listening in isolation, but they may not necessarily be best for the context. The older sounds blended in, but let me knew i picked something up.

The old armor sound was better too, I noticed it less while still noticing it…if that makes sense. I didn’t have a problem with the driller or impulse.

YinutYinut
    Participant
    Replies: 55

For the most part the sounds seems fine to me. I will say this however while impulse normally is fine, I find that quad impulse actually sounds uncomfortable/piercing.
    The armour sound ending where it reverberates a bit seems unnecessary.
    The Driller is another one I’m not too fond of. The Gauss in Descent 2 sounded a little meatier or thicker and seemed a little more pleasing on the ears. When I fire the Driller, it makes me think of shooting needles/nails at the enemy, it doesn’t really sound powerful enough to me.
    I find articulating sounds very difficult, so I hope the feedback isn’t completely useless.

TwoCablesTwoCables
    Kickstarter Backer

I agree that the Driller doesn’t really sound as powerful as it actually is.

I don’t agree though that the new pickup sounds are bad. I love them. I love having the audible difference for the higher priority powerups like super secondary powerups and Armor because I don’t always see the powerup that I just picked up (like I might back up into a powerup that I didn’t know was there). Sometimes I do see the powerup but it doesn’t really register in my brain and I’m left wondering what I just picked up. So I think having the different pickup sound is helpful and informative, especially when it’s utter chaos in CM.

Regarding the piercing sound of the Impulse, I reduced the high frequencies in my EQ a bit just now, so I’ll find out the next time I play if that was the culprit. I just hope I didn’t take away too much of the wonderful clarity and crispness I’ve been enjoying. I’d hate to be forced to make that compromise just because the piercing sound of the Impulse never gets changed (that is, if it really is so piercing that I can’t make it go away without an EQ compromise).

Update:
    the sound of the Impulse is much more tolerable for my ears after my EQ adjustment, and I didn’t even have to make a compromise for the overall sound. It turns out I probably just had the high frequencies set too high. Even Quad Impulse is more tolerable now, even though it has a much louder sound.

Prepare for Overload…

maniak1349maniak1349
    Participant
    Replies: 18

Came here to post what birdseye mostly already said – I don’t like new pickup sounds that much.

– Super missile – sounds too crisp while not sounding like anything in particular and does not really represent missile pick up.
    – Shield – sounds kind of weird too. I think it was better when it shared sound with energy. Though it’s much easier to get used to then super missile one.
    – Weapon – sounds nondescript, weak and unsatisfying. Weapon is one of the biggest pick ups you can get so you kind of expect some loud and juicy sound of a big piece of equipment being loaded on board.

TwoCablesTwoCables
    Kickstarter Backer

Came here to post what birdseye mostly already said – I don’t like new pickup sounds that much.

– Super missile – sounds too crisp while not sounding like anything in particular and does not really represent missile pick up.
    – Shield – sounds kind of weird too. I think it was better when it shared sound with energy. Though it’s much easier to get used to then super missile one.
    – Weapon – sounds nondescript, weak and unsatisfying. Weapon is one of the biggest pick ups you can get so you kind of expect some loud and juicy sound of a big piece of equipment being loaded on board.

The sound that the Armor pickup had before is the same pickup sound that *ALL* powerups had until now. It is the sound you put under “Weapon”. Until the new sounds were created for super secondary powerups and Armor, every single powerup had the exact same pickup sound and I can say that I would agree it was just fine having just 1 pickup sound for all powerups.

I think the reason why you feel the standard pickup sound is nondescript, weak, and unsatisfying is, the new sounds are distinctive,, strong, and satisfying. They make the standard sound seem dull by comparison. Until these new pickup sounds were introduced, I never had any issue with the standard pickup sound, but now I do feel that it seems a bit dull now even though it hasn’t been changed. I’m finding that I want all of the pickup sounds to be changed to the new one that was created for Armor. It’s especially apparent when picking up Energy because that’s almost as important as Armor.

Prepare for Overload…

TerminalTerminal
    Participant
    Replies: 18

Bright sound fx? I have the opposite thought regarding the flak cannon. It sounds dull for a rapid firing machine gun

MiasmicMiasmic
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 3
    Replies: 59

Flak isn’t a machine gun, really. It’s a “cannon” of sorts. At least, that’s how it began life. Admittedly, Overloads flak is a pretty big departure from this, but I still look at it as cannon fire. I like the sound, especially the VK ramp up.

Next Unread Topic:
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

Forums are currently locked.

Previous Topic: Paper Sailboat Feedback Log Next Topic: Early Access drop #9 now available!