The discussion has moved over to Discord

Home Forums Overload Development Playable Teaser 2.0 available

RSS Feed
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 33 total)
  • Author
    CDN_MerlinCDN_Merlin
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 15
    Replies: 243

Funny how I had to uninstall all my versions to be able to install the updated one with the new level.

I was wondering why everyone was talking about that new round level and I couldn’t see it.

TwoCablesTwoCables
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 118
    Replies: 1474

Funny how I had to uninstall all my versions to be able to install the updated one with the new level.

I was wondering why everyone was talking about that new round level and I couldn’t see it.

That *is* strange because I didn’t have to do that.

Prepare for Overload…

JudicatorJudicator
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 1
    Replies: 4

Revival Productions,
    I’ve played the the teaser 2.0 and I have to be straight and don’t spare criticism.
    I’ve trusted you and gave my money I was full of hopes.
    I have to say that, in all honesty, you’ve done a great job, the game feels like Descent, I love sthe art direction, the general feeling, the ship navigation.
    Everything just seems consistent. The only thing that immediately jump at my eyes is that Overload feels much less cramped and claustrofobic than Descent, maybe it’s because it’s a demo.
    I love the weapons and missiles, the graphics looks good and I love the HUD and the enemies seem to behave just like you expect them to.
    To sum up congratulations, you guys nailed it.
    Please keep on doing great.

Look at you, hacker. A pathetic creature of meat and bone. Panting and sweating as you run through my corridors.
    How can you challenge a perfect immortal machine?

foghorn2foghorn2
    Participant
    Topics: 6
    Replies: 115

^

Its the Home Depot vinyl floor tiles and rocky tunnels. Well at least on this teaser the vinyl tiles have been upgraded to ceramic :D.

I agree its cramped. I like the walls and ceilings in Descent better, in its low res minecraft style textures. Musis is better in descent too. Need to get rid of that catholic church female chorus in the music.

My son is now asking me to play descent 2 player (lan) all the time and loosing interest in Overload. Sad.

JudicatorJudicator
    Kickstarter Backer

All fair points and let’s be honest for whom, like us, played the original long ago, nostalgia plays a big role but Revival has made a very good job nonetheless.

These guys, as far as the teaser 2 goes, just caught the spirit of Descent and the reason I’m excited is that this is a very good base to develop onto.
    I mean Revival has all the time and abilities to adjust the aim in case there’s something to fix or correct.

Descent 2 is a good game, but I bet that when we will have the full game your son will be excited as we are. 😉

Look at you, hacker. A pathetic creature of meat and bone. Panting and sweating as you run through my corridors.

foghorn2foghorn2
    Participant

There is less up/down movement available due to the ceiling heights, and the ugly ceilings are always there ruining the experience. As it currently stands, its more like a first person shooter than it is a 3DOF game.

JudicatorJudicator
    Kickstarter Backer

Yeah structrues are less developed vertically but IMHO we have to keep in mind this is just an early demo with a bunch of materials, enemies and weapons, the game runs just fine on my PC which is not exactly cutting edge: Phenom2 955, 4GB RAM, Radeon 6950.

I think later levels are going to be more complex like it was in the first game.
    If you are hinting at a general dumbing down of the game, well, I hope this is not the case.

foghorn2foghorn2
    Participant

The teasers are too dark, mostly shades of grey, need red, orange, purple. Too many HomeDepot Tiles.
    More color will make it more exciting, esp for the younger players.

LotharBot
    Kickstarter Backer
    Replies: 133

when it comes to vertical spaces, there are a couple things to keep in mind:

in single player, the level we have right now is kind of an intro level. It’s been intentionally simplified in order to make the vertical transitions really obvious for new players who aren’t used to 6dof. The previous campaign level, by comparison, was much harder to navigate — the verticality came in much too early, wasn’t well marked, and honestly left me a little bamboozled the first couple times.

in arena (MP / challenge vs bots) modes, community experience has taught us that *usually* levels are best if they have a dominant “up/down” vs “left/right” orientation, with something resembling a 2-3 story structure, and maybe a couple of significant vertical transitional spaces. Those transitional spaces can separate stronger and weaker pilots based on how comfortably they reorient. But a level that’s too vertical or not oriented in any way can become kind of a gimmick (a gimmick I’m particularly good at, mind you — all of my wins against Jediluke and Mark392 have come in non-oriented levels.) Right now the levels are a little too flat, and I’d encourage the team to look at Scrimmage (Drakona’s challenge mode creation) to see how just a little bit of verticality can go a long way in creating interest, but how it’s not necessary to make everything super-tall.

foghorn2foghorn2
    Participant

Son went to another level today and saw some reddish tinted rock ceilings, real nice, and a bit more color in that level also, he really enjoyed it! need more of this!

CDN_MerlinCDN_Merlin
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 15
    Replies: 243

So I tried story mode again. Got to the reactor. Had the same slow down as everyone else but it only lasted 2-3 seconds and went back to normal.

Is there a reason the energy centres make noise even though I’ve over 100 energy points? Kinda misleading.

Are you guys thinking of texturing the map? It looks kinda bland. I know it would be a performance hit but maybe (if you have time) could insert a toggle to have textures or not?

foghorn2foghorn2
    Participant

Good idea!- just allow the texuring to be user selectable.

I now have a Ryzen 7 system ready for this game, so make it beautiful as you want, but make it selectable for those still using average/older systems.

deathwinger
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 3
    Replies: 25

When I try to play the beta, I went into the video settings and now all I see is a black screen. The music is playing in the background but that’s about it. I tried to reinstall the beta but no luck. Anyone know what might be the issue?

Thanks and appreciated.

TwoCablesTwoCables
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 118
    Replies: 1474
    Matt Toschlog
    Overload Team
    Topics: 22
    Replies: 88

deathwinger,

Are you still having trouble? If so, please contact me directly at mtoschlog@revivalprod.com.

Thanks!

– Matt

Next Unread Topic:
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 33 total)

Forums are currently locked.

Previous Topic: Build 12 Next Topic: Adjusting options with 360-controller