The discussion has moved over to Discord

RSS Feed
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 34 total)
  • Author
    Sergeant ThorneSergeant Thorne
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 12
    Replies: 138

Space works in the game, but I’m in the “input” tab of the launcher.

Luke Schneider
    Overload Team
    Topics: 10
    Replies: 115

Oh, I have no idea where *those* settings are stored. We don’t really use those as far as I know. That’s a built-in launcher that Unity has. We’re just using it for resolution and shadows right now (eventually will make it all in-game).

homeyduh
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 8
    Replies: 67

Also, also, also…the music is pretty awesome XD

Sergeant ThorneSergeant Thorne
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 12
    Replies: 138

Oh, ok. I was thinking I might use it to eliminate unused controller axes which might have been causing complications. I was thinking at first that it was a deadzone issue, but after setting the controller config to “Joystick default” to be sure it was mapped correctly, playing the game just sees the ship spinning out of control, with no clear, predictable way to bring it to reason. The “Joystick default” maps turning to “LeftStickUp”, “LeftStickDown”, “LeftStickLeft”, “LeftStickRight”, respectively, but incidentally when mapping the controls manually I also come up with such values as “Analog0”, “Analog1”, …

MaxMax
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 2
    Replies: 24

Got 82 on Normal and 37 on Hard! It’s so enjoyable to take out a bunch of bots with a Devastator or some fully-charged Thunderbolts πŸ˜€

A Future Pilot
    Kickstarter Backer
    Replies: 65

OK, so here are my impressions and suggestions:

First…THIS. IS. FREAKING. AWESOME!!!!! I tried playing Descent 3 the other day and was like “dang, I remember why I wasn’t a fan.” I played Overload and was like “Dang…I can’t stop!” lol! So already, I like it a heck of a lot more than D3!!

A couple of suggestions (I know you may not need/want some of this feedback till further down the road, but I wanted to write it all down while it’s still fresh).

1. Increase flare speed. If I’m flying along in a straight line, and fire a flare, it’s completely blinding and barely moves faster than my ship. It’d be nice to be able to move at normal speed, and shoot a flare significantly ahead of your ship to light up where you’re heading.

2. Lower max turn speed. This is one of those things that probably won’t matter much in singleplayer, but would be a big deal in multiplayer. Right now, you can turn significantly faster with a mouse than would be controllable if using a joystick (I have only used a mouse so far, but It seems that you’d never reach max turn rate with a joystick and it still be aimable).

3. Increase Thunderbolt overcharge damage. (Not much more to say on this. Really I need to play with it more, but it was just my first impression of “hmmm…I can charge this FOREVER and barely take any damage).

Aaaand…that’s it. Which is freaking CRAZY. I just played a TEASER (not even a demo) of a 6DOF game, and only have THREE suggestions. You guys have no idea how floored I am!!!

One final note: I played this on an Intel HD 4400 on an i3. (I had to turn off all the special effects and play at 800×600, but still.) For a pre-alpha with no optimization, that’s AWESOME! Do y’all think that it’d be possible to optimize the final game enough to play on low graphics settings at 1080p or even just 780p with Intel integrated graphics? Just curious πŸ™‚

Once again…thank you guys SOOOO much for this! I’m actually gonna double-check my finances and probably raise my pledge πŸ™‚

EDIT: One other thing I forgot…the dark caverns are flipping AMAZING!!!!! I can’t WAIT to see what kind of creepy areas will be thought up for levels! πŸ™‚

Mike Kulas
    Overload Team
    Topics: 24
    Replies: 186

Future Pilot: If we had a few more days, you’d see considerably better performance. Only a week ago we had all robots checking all projectiles every frame to see if they should dodge. We only started looking at optimization when we decided to release a teaser and there’s a ton of low hanging fruit.

Back with Descent, we had to keep the game fairly optimized so it was even playable in development. (My guess is I never saw a framerate higher than 15 fps until after ship.) Now on high end hardware, hardly anything shows up on the profile and we just wanted to focus on getting the movement and feel of the game right. Things are going to get a lot faster.

Dacien
    Kickstarter Backer
    Replies: 106

I just want to say how cool it is to have the literal creators of Descent hanging out talking about what it was like programming the game back in the day. This is so cool πŸ™‚

homeyduh
    Kickstarter Backer
    Replies: 67

Phew. This has been exhilarating. The teaser is good enough to keep me entertained for a long time. Now I just need to beat my score of 56 hard and I’ll be happy. Post your High Scores in the “Leaderboard” thread to let others know where you stand. Make sure you take a screen cap or it didn’t happen πŸ˜‰ lol Good night peeps and…don’t die.

ionized
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 1
    Replies: 23

The teaser has been great. I’ve had exactly the same issues as Sergeant Thorne when trying to get my Sidewinder Precision Pro to work.

I got to 44 on hard with just the keyboard before I ran out of ammo and tried to fight them off with flares. Do flares actually do any damage? I didn’t manage to take any bots out with them.

Oh, and the music is awesome btw.

Edit: I’m suprised at how well this ran on my almost 5 year old PC πŸ™‚

Dacien
    Kickstarter Backer
    Replies: 106

I was going to cheese this glitch so hard, get like 4,000 bot kills and blow everyone’s mind! But the bots stopped spawning. Maybe you can make this bug a “feature” by introducing some kind of Phoenix Cannon-like weapon from D2.

SiriusSirius
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 9
    Replies: 406

2. Lower max turn speed. This is one of those things that probably won’t matter much in singleplayer, but would be a big deal in multiplayer. Right now, you can turn significantly faster with a mouse than would be controllable if using a joystick (I have only used a mouse so far, but It seems that you’d never reach max turn rate with a joystick and it still be aimable).

This. About the only thing that really bugged me – at first I wrote it off as a simple L2P issue, but on reading this, yeah, it does turn faster than a joystick player will probably be able to. Vertical isn’t much of an issue (unless it’s a bit slow, but maybe that was just that I wound the sensitivity down on that too) – the horizontal turning speed just seems to be much faster. It was faster than vertical in D1/2 as well, but not this much faster.

Other than that. Ship handles controllably? Check. Shots are dodgeable yet robots still hittable? Check. Weapons actually fun to use? Check (although wow is the default disruptor gun good… it actually felt more useful than flak/thunderbolt – but such is life when it’s too early for balance work). I don’t think I’ve seen a Descent clone do this many things right in its first public release.

lukeman3000
    Kickstarter Backer
    Replies: 21

Yeah, something seems a bit off about the mouse control. It feels there’s some sort of negative acceleration or something going on; it limits how fast I can spin around (maybe this is by design). In other words, moving the mouse past a certain speed does not further increase the look speed.

Also it would be nice to completely disable smoothing. Is there a way to get “raw” mouse input?

It’s been awhile since I’ve played Descent with KBM; maybe I’m just not used to how it feels. But it feels like there’s something limiting the control that I have with the mouse for some reason.

That said, this is awesome, and I cannot wait for the full version. The Kickstarter had better succeed.

DarkhorseDarkhorse
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 2
    Replies: 127

Guys, this is pretty impressive for a tech demo. It looks like most of the hard work is already done, now it’s just fleshing out the content. I think once you have a plot, some more environmental variation, and a few puzzles this will compare quite favourably to the likes of Portal for an alternative FPS.

I have one minor critique: the flak cannon should have more firepower at the expense of running out of ammo quickly. Right now it’s taking quite a long time to do its work and doesn’t really feel competitive with the more accurate Driller.

Goznik
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 3
    Replies: 119

I just played it, sadly the work week just started here so I cant play much in the next few days.
    IT IS AMAZING!

I’m playing all-keyboard and it feels great.
    For me, the bots feel a bit too big, in one case a robot was struggling to get into a door from a room.

Next Unread Topic:
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 34 total)

Forums are currently locked.

Previous Topic: When might you be able to release the "Classic Mode" build? Next Topic: Challenge Mode Leaderboard?