The discussion has moved over to Discord

Home Forums Overload Development Please don't do this to the powerups…

RSS Feed
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    TwoCablesTwoCables
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 118
    Replies: 1474

Luke: in the 24-hour live stream while playing Sublevel Zero, you said you liked how the powerups came to you instead of you having to touch them. Then you said that you need to do that in Overload. Please don’t do that!

The reason why they do that in Sublevel Zero is, there are a lot of little powerups each time and they’re usually all spread out and they don’t last long – meaning, it would be very irritating to have to make sure you fly over each one to get them all. In Overload, it’s very different; the powerups never disappear, and it’s always extremely easy to just go grab the powerup. I see absolutely no need for the powerups to come to you once you get within a certain range.

So, please don’t do it. I love the way it is now. Plus, I get to get super close and admire the detail of the graphics whenever I want.

Prepare for Overload…

IonIon
    Participant
    Topics: 2
    Replies: 27

Ammo, nanites, and repair nanites (only found in challenge room chests) are picked up automatically. In Descent, spew-powerups would become “lost” after a set time. The game mechanics for Overload are incomplete, leaving the addition of disappearing loot a possibility. In SL0, only ammo, nanites, and repair nanites disappear, while equipment and repair kits are permanent.

One of the problems with Descent is that picking up a primary or piece of equipment would convert it into ammo or energy, “destroying” it in the process, meaning if you die, you cannot collect that weapon to give youself a fighting chance. The only exception is multiplayer, where only ammo can be picked up after you have a particular weapon.
    This is a problem because some weapons are found in hallways or in front of other items you want/need while the other item is nonessential, leaving you with either forced gluttony or famine.

The solution would be to allow the player the option to destroy a weapon for energy or leave it behind in case you need it later. Matterguns would simply be drained of course, but this means if you pick it up later, you will have no ammo.

punished blart on steam

TwoCablesTwoCables
    Kickstarter Backer

Ok, but I’m talking about powerups that seem to be magnetic, or that they have a slight homing ability so that when you get super close, they automatically come to you. This is the way it’s done in Sublevel Zero, but that’s because the powerups are tiny and spread out. In Overload and Descent, they’re bigger and they’re very easy to grab very quickly.

Another reason why I don’t want this in Overload is, grabbing a powerup can be a part of the challenge. I find great fun in grabbing a powerup in a crowd of 7 bots. Making the powerups become magnetic would take that fun away.

Prepare for Overload…

juris3djuris3d
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 2
    Replies: 8

I agree to TwoCables, for example, fighting bot(s) and the same time strafing towards powerup, that I remembered is there somewhere, it is a challenging fun.

TwoCablesTwoCables
    Kickstarter Backer

Yeah, I kinda like to call this skill “Powerup Aim”. 🙂 I’ve been doing it for nearly 20 years.

Prepare for Overload…

Goznik
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 3
    Replies: 119

I agree , magnetic powerups work with nanonites, not so much with shield boosters and fusion cannons.

darthkarkidarthkarki
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 17
    Replies: 88

I agree, having the item come to you is probably not needed. However, the range at which an item is picked up definitely needs to be increased. Right now it’s extremely finicky in that it only seems to pick up if the exact center of your ship is over the exact center of the pickup, otherwise you zip right by it. Just make it the same distance as you need to be to pick up an item in Descent and it’ll be perfect.

TwoCablesTwoCables
    Kickstarter Backer

I agree, having the item come to you is probably not needed. However, the range at which an item is picked up definitely needs to be increased. Right now it’s extremely finicky in that it only seems to pick up if the exact center of your ship is over the exact center of the pickup, otherwise you zip right by it. Just make it the same distance as you need to be to pick up an item in Descent and it’ll be perfect.

Yeah, I think it’s like that with Ammo, but I’m not sure. It might also be like that for one other powerup, but mostly I’ve noticed that powerups seem to be picked up before I think I’m touching it.

They’re very aware of this though and are working on it.

Prepare for Overload…

sushicw
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 1
    Replies: 21

I wouldn’t mind an active-ability “powerup hoover” that prevents you from firing when using it. Basically treat it like its own primary weapon. Outside of combat, provides some convenience. In combat, provides a tradeoff: get that powerup more easily while I dodge, or keep shooting back?

TwoCablesTwoCables
    Kickstarter Backer

I wouldn’t mind an active-ability “powerup hoover” that prevents you from firing when using it. Basically treat it like its own primary weapon. Outside of combat, provides some convenience. In combat, provides a tradeoff: get that powerup more easily while I dodge, or keep shooting back?

Omg, that’s a very good idea! It could also be something that has some limitations, like maybe it uses a huge amount of energy or it only has a limited amount of uses (5 or 10 or as much as 15, or maybe even 6 or 8 or 12, etc.) – or both. I think you’re right too that it should be a “Primary Weapon” so that you don’t have to worry about key bindings or anything clunky like that.

I LOVE THIS IDEA!

Prepare for Overload…

MAKAsaurusFLEX
    Participant
    Topics: 0

Well that’s certainly an interesting take. Intriguing…

termathor
    Participant
    Topics: 0
    Replies: 5

I’m with TwoCables, here. Having, when you’re badly hit, to make the choice of going after powerups to regain some ground, risking the next hit being the last, or, concentrate vs. robots, is tons of fun !

SeaWyrm
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 1

In multiplayer Descent as well, it’s sometimes a good strategy to avoid picking up powerups, since the noise will give away your position. Not to mention that guarding spew is hard enough when the other player can’t just vacuum it up from a distance.
    That’s multiplayer, though.

TwoCablesTwoCables
    Kickstarter Backer

Oh, and there are times where I am avoiding certain powerups because I’m trying to save them for when I REALLY need them. I’d be extremely irritated if I accidentally attracted a powerup (or multiple powerups) that I was saving for later!

Prepare for Overload…

Next Unread Topic:
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

Forums are currently locked.

Previous Topic: Demo Escapades (bragging rights 101) Next Topic: Graphics slowdown after continued fighting.