The discussion has moved over to Discord

Home Forums Overload Kickstarter Progress so far

RSS Feed

This topic contains 37 replies, has 17 voices, and was last updated by  Matt Toschlog 22 Feb 2016 @ 8:26am.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 38 total)
  • Author

Matt Toschlog
    Overload Team
    Topics: 22
    Replies: 88

Thanks to everyone who has backed our campaign so far. It’s been really gratifying to read all the comments from Descent fans who are excited about the project. We feel exactly the same way — it just feels right to be working on Overload.

And even though it’s been an exciting few days, we still have 24 days to go. We’ll be spending a lot of time talking about what Overload is and what our plans are, and with a little luck we’ll even have some time to work on the game. And we really need you to help out by spreading the word. We’re depending on the support of the community to provide the funds for us to make Overload what we dream it will be.

– Matt

• This topic was modified 3 years, 9 months ago by  Matt Toschlog.

MAKAsaurusFLEX
    Participant
    Topics: 0
    Replies: 21

This was the first multiplayer campaign game I ever played. Will it be possible to team up like we could in D1? I remember investing 24 hours straight trying to complete the game and we had a lot of drop in drop out people join to compete it.

Cathy Schneider
    Overload Team
    Topics: 67
    Replies: 224

We have an AMA coming up in less than 30 minutes, and are about to make an update that seems right up your alley.

MAKAsaurusFLEX
    Participant
    Replies: 21

@Cathy Schneider I don’t have a reddit account. I know right? I’ll just read the comments from there later on. Thanks.

Sirius
    Sirius
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 9
    Replies: 406

Curious whether you plan to make any adjustments to the reward tiers? I’ve been considering increasing my pledge but have been holding out to hear about that (since I vaguely recall some talk about it) before deciding what the new level will be… 🙂

Haunted Parrasp
    Haunted Parrasp
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 31
    Replies: 428

Super-excited for Overload. I *will* be throwing at least a few loonies at ya guys, but not right away… I need to wait a couple weeks for several different personal money reasons.

Ship’s cat, MPSV Iberia
    Check out his original music @ http://vertigofox.bandcamp.com/

Cathy Schneider
    Overload Team
    Topics: 67
    Replies: 224

@sirius, we don’t have firm plans on the new tiers. What would you like to see?
    @makasaurusflex, you don’t have to log on to read all the great questions and answers! I can’t believe no one asked about Matt’s hair!

Jeff Slutter
    Overload Team
    Replies: 4

@splotchie Don’t forget that Kickstarter doesn’t charge you unless the campaign is successful right when it ends.

Darkhorse
    Darkhorse
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 2
    Replies: 127

I’d be a bit disappointed if it didn’t – rather have a 90% successful campaign than 0%.

Sirius
    Sirius
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 9
    Replies: 406

Yeah, that seems to be a problem. The more I think about it, the harder it is to come up with anything appropriate that wouldn’t kind of waste development time. I do think there’s an opportunity for the community to help make the game better in some way – e.g. writing tutorials/documentation for the editor if you don’t make that stretch goal, or even developing tools and converters if there are specs for the file formats – the kind of cool stuff that was happening during 1997-8 for Descent 2 (Luke Schneider’s efforts with Polytron were a good example actually!). But I don’t think it makes sense to involve that with reward tiers in any way.

There was just one thing I thought of that still seemed appropriate for a KS reward – namedropping pilots into the script, if the script calls for names of other pilots within the game world. But that’s already pretty similar to the hostage reward, so I suspect you may have already considered and decided against it.

Other things that have enticed me to back at a slightly higher level before are exclusive in-game items or skins for backers – but they have a dark side as well, particularly in this type of game (where it could be seen as unfair), and you have to be careful with them.

MangoMon
    MangoMon
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 3
    Replies: 15

Maybe perhaps a tier between the $150 one and the $250 one? Something like $175 for perhaps the jacket and either the game OST or the poster? Personally I love game OST’s (listen to them all day at work 😛 ) but forking out $100 for a poster and the OST does seem like a tad much…

Otherwise something like $180 for that includes everything of the Deluxe Combo Pack along with a unique key-chain featuring your name stenciled on top of the Overload ship?

Goznik
    Kickstarter Backer
    Replies: 119

I agree that the tiers could use some changes, the 8000$ is way too much, I mean we love you guys, but not that much!
    The Jacket sound really cool, I think that if you’ll give it to lower tiers it might cause people to up their pledge. I know I would be very tempted.

Maybe for lower tiers (~200$-250$) a simple jacket like this cool one from Portal 2:
    Portal2 jacket

And for the higher tiers, something more high-end like that one:
    Portal2 Jacket

MangoMon
    MangoMon
    Kickstarter Backer
    Replies: 15

Could work… I’d just suggest that if they want to work on the tiers they don’t change any existing ones as that might irritate some people that are already happy with what their getting for their amount of dosh. Rather create a new one with the same price, or make a “special”: a cheaper one with some additional goodies of which there are a very limited number.

For example: $200 “Fast Flyer” edition that contains the game OST as well as a jacket with your name printed on it, only 50 available

• This reply was modified 3 years, 9 months ago by MangoMon MangoMon.
    Haunted Parrasp
    Haunted Parrasp
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 31
    Replies: 428

Yep. Thing is there’s still a small problem with my ability to make a pledge right at this moment, and it’s a little bit of a complicated one.
    I expect I’ll be able to resolve it with plenty of time left. I’ve done this sorta stuff before so I certainly don’t need any help. 😀

Ship’s cat, MPSV Iberia
    Check out his original music @ http://vertigofox.bandcamp.com/

Darkhorse
    Darkhorse
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 2
    Replies: 127

One of the issues with offering stuff like that is they have to pay for it using the Kickstarter money. So, the more physical products they offer, the less work they can do on the game.

Next Unread Topic:
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 38 total)

Forums are currently locked.

Previous Topic: Welcome! Next Topic: Welcome!