The discussion has moved over to Discord

Home Forums Classic 6DOF Games Pyro-GX

RSS Feed

This topic contains 42 replies, has 17 voices, and was last updated by Pyro-GX Pyro-GX 20 Jun 2019 @ 2:21pm.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 43 total)
  • Author

PyroJockey
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 16
    Replies: 63

I have always admired the design of the Pyro-GX. Specifically the one shown in the kinematics from the Playstation versions and Descent ][.

Who designed it and do any of the original 3D models still exit?

One of my hobbies is making prop replicas. My most well known efforts is the Aperture Laboratories radio from Portal which I made for my kids to cosplay at Otakon 2009.

I would like to make a highly accurate detailed model of the Pyro-GX. I assume getting a copy of the model would not be allowed but is there any chance of getting some high quality orthographic views?

There are times you strive for greatness, to reach lofty goals and accomplish noble deeds. Then there’s the rest of the times you just want to blow stuff up.

Super88
    Participant
    Topics: 4
    Replies: 18

Go to descent2.de and get d2-xl then download Pyro-gx from ‘hi-res models’. One of the fan modellers remade the exact Pyro-GX pretty much as you see it in the cut-scenes.

You can press F4 within descent 2 and leave a marker and then see the model in 3D.

PyroJockey
    Kickstarter Backer

@super88, I already have these resources. The model you are referring to is low-poly count in-game version of MetalBeast’s design. MetalBeast made an extremely detailed and very beautiful Pyro-GX but it is not an exact match for what I’ve seen in the D1 and D2 sequences. If possible I would like to go to the source.

There are times you strive for greatness, to reach lofty goals and accomplish noble deeds. Then there’s the rest of the times you just want to blow stuff up.

Cathy Schneider
    Overload Team
    Topics: 67
    Replies: 224

The radio is fantastic; obvious to see you pay attention to detail. Adam Pletcher, lead artist at Parallax, designed the Pyro-GX; not sure if there is a model still around. After the kickstarter we can search more for the views to get to you.

PyroJockey
    Kickstarter Backer

@Cathy Thanks for the reply. Any information from Adam would be outstanding.
    Yes I am a stickler for detail, I was a machinist by trade before I got into CAD/CAM and mechanical design software, so if I make it, it has to be as accurate.
    My most ambitious project is to reverse engineer and recreate the full size Type-15 Shuttlepod prop from Star Trek TNG. This is still in the design stage and I have been researching it on and off for over 25 years. I still don’t have all the details but in the process I’ve got to correspond with many inside Trek people such as Mike Okuda and Rick Sternbach.

Sirius
    Sirius
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 9
    Replies: 406

Did Adam Pletcher also design the D2 intro cinematic version of the Pyro-GX, though, or just the original in-game model?

PyroJockey
    Kickstarter Backer

There was also a cinematic at the end of the Playstation port of D1.

and a still images from the end of the PC version of D1.

And there was also a nice image in the official D2 strategy guide.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 4 months ago by buildcreate buildcreate.

Super88
    Participant
    Topics: 4
    Replies: 18

@super88but it is not an exact match for what I’ve seen in the D1 and D2 sequences. If possible I would like to go to the source.

I know, just saying that’s the best I’ve seen thus far and I’m pretty sure that’s all you’re going to get given it’s been 20 years. Since the hi-res model for d2-xl comes as close to the cinematic one as possible. It isn’t an exact match in terms of cockpit no, but the body is pretty darned close. The original was far from perfect lets remember. The in game ship is just awful looking by todays standards.

Adam Pletcher
    Adam Pletcher
    Participant
    Topics: 0
    Replies: 3

Hello. I did create both the realtime and cinematic models of the Pyro. I probably have the model files archived somewhere, I’ll have a look and see if we can release some renders in the near future.

CDN_Merlin
    CDN_Merlin
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 15
    Replies: 243

Adam, that would be cool. Thanks

LotharBot
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 1
    Replies: 133

Personally, I think the D2 pyro looks weak. But I like the D1 pyro quite a lot:

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1357501

PyroJockey
    Kickstarter Backer

sorry, double post.

PyroJockey
    Kickstarter Backer

Adam, any hi-rez images you can supply would be fantastic. What I am ultimately hoping for are some hi-rez orthographic projections (top, front, side, rear, bottom) without any perspective applied and with some form of scale reference included in the view (grid, ruler, person, etc…).

Thanks for looking into this.

There are times you strive for greatness,

Edward
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 13
    Replies: 38

It would be amazing if we could get the actual files…

Sirius
    Sirius
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 9
    Replies: 406

Which one? I’m almost certain the in-game model didn’t change, and the cinematic one appears to look the same as the version in the D1 briefing screens…

Next Unread Topic:
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 43 total)

Forums are currently locked.

Previous Topic: Sound off! Next Topic: Player ship