Home Forums Classic 6DOF Games Pyro-GX

RSS Feed

This topic contains 41 replies, has 17 voices, and was last updated by  PyroJockey 17 Apr 2019 @ 11:58am.

Viewing 12 posts - 31 through 42 (of 42 total)
  • Author

PyroJockey
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 15
    Replies: 60

You can download an STL file from Thingiverse I believe this is based on Metalbeast’s design.

Thank you PJ

What CAD system are you using?

There are times you strive for greatness, to reach lofty goals and accomplish noble deeds. Then there’s the rest of the times you just want to blow stuff up.

Obi-Wan Kenobi
    Obi-Wan Kenobi
    Participant
    Topics: 4
    Replies: 25

Has anyone the Pyro GX model in a CAD Format like .stp or .igs or whatever computer aided design format? Would be cool to machine it from a solid block of aluminum :-)

You can download an STL file from Thingiverse I believe this is based on Metalbeast’s design.

That is correct its MetalBeast’s D4 1500 Polygon Pyro-GX, it was the planned Pyro-GX for Descent IV: Invasion, just for the head’s up 😉

Holder Of The World’s Largest Descent / Freespace Collection:
    https://playoverload.com/forums/topic/hello-there-here-a-descent-collectors-intro-8/

1up
    1up
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 3
    Replies: 82

Thank you PJ

At work I use ProEngineer. At home toying with Turbo CAD 20, if I find the time.

PyroJockey
    Kickstarter Backer

Thank you PJ

At work I use ProEngineer. At home toying with Turbo CAD 20, if I find the time.

I use Unigraphics/NX from Siemens for both CAD and CAM. I am able to import and machine STL files, but they import as faceted bodies and are difficult to edit. I also have access to Solid Edge and CAMWorks for Solid Edge but run into similar restrictions.

I keep a copy of Blender on hand and, while I am not versed in it’s use, I do use it for data translation. It allows me to translate most file formats used in games to STL or 3D DXF. It’s open source and it’s free. Some day I will explore it’s modeling capabilities.

I bought a copy of InStep from Solveering that converts STL and several other file formats used for game geometry to STEP. It works well in most cases but there were issues with the surfaces of the fuselage in the Pyro model and those surfaces didn’t translate.

Let me know how you make out.

There are times you strive for greatness, to reach lofty goals and accomplish noble deeds. Then there’s the rest of the times you just want to blow stuff up.

1up
    1up
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 3
    Replies: 82

I use Unigraphics/NX from Siemens for both CAD and CAM. I am able to import and machine STL files, but they import as faceted bodies and are difficult to edit. I also have access to Solid Edge and CAMWorks for Solid Edge but run into similar restrictions.

I keep a copy of Blender on hand and, while I am not versed in it’s use, I do use it for data translation. It allows me to translate most file formats used in games to STL or 3D DXF. It’s open source and it’s free. Some day I will explore it’s modeling capabilities.

I bought a copy of InStep from Solveering that converts STL and several other file formats used for game geometry to STEP. It works well in most cases but there were issues with the surfaces of the fuselage in the Pyro model and those surfaces didn’t translate.

Let me know how you make out.

I only took a quick look so far but the whole model needs to be reworked. It has alot of issues with many surfaces and geometrie transitions. It is a mess actually and it might be easier to redo it from scratch 🙂 Lets see what I can do with it.

PyroJockey
    Kickstarter Backer

@Adam_Pletcher

Did you also model the pilot and cockpit of the Pyro?

In addition to the cockpit details not seen in the cinematics, I am especially interested in the details of the helmet geometry. I would love to create this as 1:6 scale head sculpt and outfit a 12″ figure as the Material Defender. If that turns out well, I may go with a larger scale maquette for display or a full scale prop.

These are the best screen captures I have so far.

Whiteshark
    Whiteshark
    Participant
    Topics: 14
    Replies: 61

So even the helmet is full of barricade tape 😀

PyroJockey
    Kickstarter Backer

Hello. I did create both the realtime and cinematic models of the Pyro. I probably have the model files archived somewhere, I’ll have a look and see if we can release some renders in the near future.

Bump.

Just a gentile reminder. Any updates on the models and/or hi-rez renders?

Thanks.

PyroJockey
    Kickstarter Backer

Hello. I did create both the realtime and cinematic models of the Pyro. I probably have the model files archived somewhere, I’ll have a look and see if we can release some renders in the near future.

Bump.

Just another gentile reminder. Any updates on the models and/or hi-rez renders?

Thanks.

Pyro-GX
    Pyro-GX
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 6
    Replies: 23

Bump.

Thanks.

I’d say you probably won’t get much of a response till the game’s finished, given that this is probably a lower priority.

Believe me I’m also eager to get my hands on the Pyro model.

Shroudeye
    Shroudeye
    Participant
    Topics: 12
    Replies: 84

Hello all. Sorry for thread revival but I’d like to share my old drawing of the Pyro-GX’s cockpit… and since this is the thread for our beloved ship, I thought it would be more appropriate to post here.

Anyways, I did this sketch when I used to work with Sol Contingency team, in 2012. Enjoy! 🙂

Pyro-GX Cockpit POV

Link to the DA page

PyroJockey
    Kickstarter Backer

Bump.

Thanks.

Next Unread Topic:
Viewing 12 posts - 31 through 42 (of 42 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Previous Topic: Sound off! Next Topic: Player ship