The discussion has moved over to Discord

Home Forums Overload Development QA October 2016!

RSS Feed

Tagged: ,

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 42 total)
  • Author
    Cathy Schneider
    Overload Team
    Topics: 67
    Replies: 224

Now that we are between demos and not at a show, we have time for a new QA video! We have some questions from before, but if you have anything you are wondering about, please let us know. Respond here, tweet at @playoverload, or email me at cschneider@revivalprod.com. We will record on Thursday, so try to get questions in before then. Thanks in advance!

papersailboatpapersailboat
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 19
    Replies: 70

Hi Cathy,

This is a multi-facted question, I will understand if the team decides not to fully address it at this time – but here goes:

Descent was a game that very much captivated me through its setting, atmosphere and story. How do you plan to tell the story of Overload? Will there be briefings like the original Descent? Voice actors? Will there be animatics or cinematics?

Cheers,
    Christopher

PS Could there be Paper Sailboat in the soundtrack? Luke said maybe one time and I gotta know hehehe

SiriusSirius
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 9
    Replies: 406

I guess we’ve missed the mod tools stretch goal? Will this make modding of Overload merely more difficult, or actually impossible?

Afdal
    Participant
    Topics: 1
    Replies: 3

Guess I’ll just paste this from the other thread.

One element I’ve always felt like the Descent series could have had more of is enemy attack variety. One type in particular that’s always appealed to me is some sort of expanding plane or shockwave fired at different rotations. A vast majority of enemies fire weapons that can be handily dodged with standard horizontal motion. But an enemy with an attack like this could be used to really encourage the player to dodge in three dimensions more. Rather than a single point of fire you could force the player to fly up or down or even diagonally.

I’m real curious if the thought has ever occurred to any of the developers.

Heck, how about a more classical shockwave attack that crawls along walls (used to herd the player away from walls)? Or maybe even an “antigravity” wave that is repelled by walls (used to corner the player into walls)? I really want more reasons to think in three dimensions!

Mike Kulas
    Overload Team
    Topics: 24
    Replies: 186

Regarding the mod tools, at the least we’ll release documentation. I don’t think we’re looking at releasing source code anytime soon, but tools that we can release without too much added work are a possibility. We would like to see the after market support like we saw with Descent.

I also think there’s a fair chance we’ll hit the target. As we expected, things have slowed down a lot, but as we get more publicity, I think we’ll see an uptick.

SiriusSirius
    Kickstarter Backer

Oh… I guess that means time’s not up yet.

Then, here’s hoping. Either way, enough of us are programmers that we’ll probably put something together as long as we can figure out the file formats.

Haunted ParraspHaunted Parrasp
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 31
    Replies: 428

Heck, how about a more classical shockwave attack that crawls along walls (used to herd the player away from walls)?

Just need to say, I love this idea.

Ship’s cat, MPSV Iberia
    Check out his original music @ http://vertigofox.bandcamp.com/

AzuvectorAzuvector
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 11
    Replies: 71

Any thoughts on incorporating more exotic weaponry? There have been more than a few threads around inquiring about things like Unreal’s Shock Rifle combo mechanics, or projectiles that do ‘interesting’ things during their flight. (See above about the inquiry on “shockwave” weapons, for example.) A frequent issue brought up is a lot of the weapons seem pretty samey. (And that’s okay, they’re different in their own ways!) but just wondering if there are thoughts on some weird stuff here and there too, for players or robots.

CDN_MerlinCDN_Merlin
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 15
    Replies: 243

How far along is game? Will you make your original March 2017 goal? I think it was March.

It’s not big deal if it’s late cause I want what you want to give us. Just Curious.

A Future Pilot
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 10
    Replies: 65

Do y’all have any thoughts on Multiplayer being cross-platform at this point? (I know that’s still a ways out).

What plans are currently in place to get more publicity for Overload?

SigmaSigma
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 4
    Replies: 122

Firstly, I think Overload in the end will in any case interesting. The main thing to improve control.
    I’m more worried about how to earn money for further missions/levels.
    Since many people are now very disappointed as No Man’s Sky is made (although the original idea was very good), maybe add a bit of gameplay on the surface of the planets in order to attract an audience of this game.
    Also, since Infinity Battlescape will be released in autumn 2017 in the best case, maybe add a bit of gameplay for a flight between the planets, to attract the audience of this game too. I think for descenters it would also be interesting.

yencil
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 7
    Replies: 32

I think I’m too late, but I wanted to ask about gamepad control. Did most players use this at PAX? Do you think you’ll release on Xbox to take advantage of this? I saw “aim assist” as a menu option in the PAX demo, which makes sense for gamepad, although I’m wondering if there’s a way for gamepad users to benefit from this while others such as mouse users do not?

That’s a lot of questions, just curious about it all ^_^ although some of them don’t matter until multiplayer is ready next year!

DarkhorseDarkhorse
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 2
    Replies: 127

What’s your texturing process for robots and decals?

Afdal
    Participant
    Topics: 1
    Replies: 3

Will this game have the old “tri-chording” exploit from Descent whereby you could nearly double your movement speed by strafing around with three separate movement vectors at once?

(please say no, that makes speed running way too memorization-heavy and unintuitive -_-)

Also please include an total game completion time evaluation upon beating the final level! As long as the game doesn’t take tens of hours to beat, this is a great way to incentivize getting a better time as a reason to replay the game.

SiriusSirius
    Kickstarter Backer

I can actually answer a couple of these based on previous statements 🙂

Do you think you’ll release on Xbox to take advantage of this?

Xbox One is a planned release platform, as is PS4 – so, yes.

Will this game have the old “tri-chording” exploit from Descent whereby you could nearly double your movement speed by strafing around with three separate movement vectors at once?

It already does, though the exact size of the speed boost is yet to be determined (so far as has been announced).

Next Unread Topic:
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 42 total)

Forums are currently locked.

Previous Topic: Radix: Beyond the void Next Topic: October 5, 2016: Week 22