The discussion has moved over to Discord

Home Forums Other Games OPL2 Synth & Music

RSS Feed

This topic contains 22 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by Ion Ion 20 Aug 2016 @ 9:19am.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    Haunted Parrasp
    Haunted Parrasp
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 31
    Replies: 428

So I found a software instrument called Juce that emulates the old OPL chips from the DOS days. Any musicians here who want to check it out can find the VST here: https://bsutherland.github.io/JuceOPLVSTi/
    Supposedly it’s the same emulation that DosBox uses. Obviously it’s not the highest-fidelity sound imaginable but it’s still pretty cool and it sounds surprisingly good when you mix it with effects and other instruments. Really really good for those creepy analog FM sounds games like Descent and Doom were known for.

‘Course, the obvious thing for me to do was immediately use it in a genre of music that wasn’t around back in the 90s when people were writing music for those OPL chips. So here’s a creepy dubstep track entitled Shadow on the Wall that uses Juce for three instruments, all three programmed in from scratch.

EDIT: I just noticed this is in the wrong place. I was very tired last night I guess, I thought I clicked the “Community Hijinks” forum. That being said it still might fit in this one…

Ship’s cat, MPSV Iberia
    Check out his original music @ http://vertigofox.bandcamp.com/

Haunted Parrasp
    Haunted Parrasp
    Kickstarter Backer

Shadow on the Wall

Chasing you down a tube
    Into a place where an army awaits
    Its assembly
    For I stole your soul and sanity
    I’m haunted
    By what’s left of you inside me
    The light is all aflicker
    And we’re shadows on the wall

I won’t let you surprise me
    Won’t let you find me in here
    I won’t let you toy with me
    Won’t let you destroy me down here

Hunting you
    In a silent space
    Fire and ice
    Coursing through my veins
    I’m haunted
    By what’s left of you inside me
    My tail’s all aflutter
    Are we simply real?
    Or are we full-fledged shadows on the wall?

I won’t let you toy with me
    Won’t let you destroy me down here
    I won’t let you exhume me
    Won’t let you consume me down here

Are we simply real
    Or are we full-fledged shadows on the wall?

Ship’s cat, MPSV Iberia

bemosa
    bemosa
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 39
    Replies: 240

Nice track! Sounds like dubstep descent with lyrics hehe 🙂 What DAW do you use?
    I must admit I didn’t like the opening, the wobble(?) effect seemed too strong somehow, but by the end of the song I had ‘changed my tune’. Great work, post more!

Haunted Parrasp
    Haunted Parrasp
    Kickstarter Backer

I’ve been using FL Studio for almost all the time I’ve been writing.
    It came highly recommended and turned out to fit my working “style” better than anything else I’d tried. Plus the native plugins are all really good.

Ship’s cat, MPSV Iberia

StatiC
    StatiC
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 6
    Replies: 89

Thanks for posting that. I like it!

I assume this is you… Sounds good. The first track I listened to (Inverse Image) kind of reminds me of Skinny Puppy.

Haunted Parrasp
    Haunted Parrasp
    Kickstarter Backer

Yup that’s me. 😀

Ship’s cat, MPSV Iberia

bemosa
    bemosa
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 39
    Replies: 240

Impressive work! The vocal style makes me think of Rammstein.

Haunted Parrasp
    Haunted Parrasp
    Kickstarter Backer

Thanks.
    I seem to be picking up a lot of music-likers here and on the D:U boards… maybe the devs will notice? 😛

Ship’s cat, MPSV Iberia

Sigma
    Sigma
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 4
    Replies: 122

Splotchie, I beg you, change the music style. Just try a little bit different style.

StatiC
    StatiC
    Kickstarter Backer

Sigma, Maybe you should change your music tastes and not ask an artist to change their music style to be what you like ;).

Sigma
    Sigma
    Kickstarter Backer

This music is just a pathetic parody of Mind.In.A.Box. http://www.mindinabox.com/ You can agree or disagree. It’s my personal opinion. But I think he needs to try a different style (or sub-genres)

StatiC
    StatiC
    Kickstarter Backer

What I like or don’t like is not relevant to what music he creates. I like a few songs and don’t like a few others. Other people might like the complete opposite songs that I do. Artists create what they like and feel the need to create or express in songs. They should not change their style because some people don’t like their music. There are always others that will like it the way the artist created it.

Luke Schneider
    Overload Team
    Topics: 10
    Replies: 115

a pathetic parody

Regardless of what you think of someone’s music, this is not the way to say it. Please think a little harder about how to give feedback or state your opinion.

Splotchie: Thanks for posting your music. It’s not quite what we’re looking for, and we have enough music lined up so we’re not looking for more.

Luke

Sigma
    Sigma
    Kickstarter Backer

a pathetic parody

Regardless of what you think of someone’s music, this is not the way to say it. Please think a little harder about how to give feedback or state your opinion.

Splotchie: Thanks for posting your music. It’s not quite what we’re looking for, and we have enough music lined up so we’re not looking for more.

Luke

Of course, I did not mean to insult anyone. I am also a little fond of music, so he should understand me correctly.

Luke Schneider
    Overload Team
    Topics: 10
    Replies: 115

Got to listen to more of the songs. I think Alien Sun is my favorite track. A few of the songs have a sound that reminds of the D1 MIDI soundtrack, especially that one.

Next Unread Topic:
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)

Forums are currently locked.

Previous Topic: How to up my pledge? Next Topic: Expanding the meaning of screenshots