The discussion has moved over to Discord

Home Forums Overload Level Editor and Community Created Levels Random OLE tips for mappers

RSS Feed

Tagged: , , ,

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    KryyssKryyss
    Participant
    Topics: 10
    Replies: 29

Since we don’t have a forum for OLE topics I figured we could at least have a topic here with some random collection of tips and advice for people who are getting involved with mapping.

DEFAULT FILE LOCATIONS
    If you happen to download the game from Steam, you may find that it doesn’t give you a link under the tools section or even tell you where the editor has downloaded to. You can find it under a folder called OverloadLevelEditor at this directory:
    Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Overload

OLE has two separate directories for the custom levels you created. In short, you have an OLE specific map file and the exported map. The OLE format files default to:
    Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Overload\OverloadLevelEditor\Levels

However, the exported file is saved to:
    ProgramData\Revival\Overload

The export directory is also where you will find the TXT file created for challenge mode maps that controls spawn settings. Hopefully a future update for OLE will allow us to define our own default directories for these files.

A CONFIG FILE TO PREVENT BOT SPAWNING IN CHALLENGE MODE
    Custom CM maps are currently spawning bots by themselves without the need for spawn points. This can be a problem if you are just running the map to have a look at everything in-game. A text file controls spawn rates and is named like this “challenge_mode_XXXX” where xxxx is your maps name. You can manually edit this with notepad if needed but if you don’t understand what everything does you can copy/paste the following config in order to disable all bot spawning.

CHALLENGE_DATA
    // Challenge mode data for custom level (yourmapnamehere)

$desc_english CUSTOM LEVEL DESCRIPTION
    $desc_spanish CUSTOM LEVEL DESCRIPTION
    $desc_french CUSTOM LEVEL DESCRIPTION
    $desc_german CUSTOM LEVEL DESCRIPTION
    $desc_russian CUSTOM LEVEL DESCRIPTION

$music; outer_01 // outer_01 – 05, titan_06 – 10, inner_11 – 12, alien_13 – 16, outer/titan/alien_boss
    // More or less bots (additive) in countdown/infinite for this level (0 is default, can go higher than 1 for very large levels)
    $robot_count_booster_infinite; 0.0
    $robot_count_booster_countdown; 0.0

$group1_robots; 0 // Up to 5 groups allowed, with any number of robots per group
    $robot; hulkb; 0.25; 0.1 // First number is the relative frequency a certain robot type will spawn (overall, not at any given time)
    $robot; hulka; 0.25; 0.1 // Second number is a modifier on how hard robot is considered for the level (higher = harder, 0 = default)
    $robot; vipera; 0.25; 0.1 // Some robot types have additonal restrictions in code that cannot be altered (max count at once, for instance)

$group2_robots; 0
    $robot; cannonb; 0.5; 0
    $robot; recoilb; 0.6; 0
    $robot; gruntb; 0.5; 0
    $robot; droneb; 0.3; 0

$group3_robots; 0
    $robot; bladesa; 0.3; 0
    $robot; detonatora; 0.3; 0
    $robot; clawbota; 0.3; 0

$super_robots; 0 // Number of super robot types and their appearance rate
    $super_robot; hulka; 0.8
    $super_robot; cannonb; 1.0
    $super_robot; recoila; 1.0
    $super_robot; gruntb; 1.0
    $super_robot; cannona; 1.0
    $super_robot; grunta; 1.0

$robot_variant; recoila; 0.0 // Chance a certain robot type will be a variant (during a playthrough). Only 7 bots have variants
    $robot_variant; recoilb; 0.5
    $robot_variant; hulka; 0.5
    $robot_variant; dronea; 0.5
    $robot_variant; droneb; 0.5
    $robot_variant; grunta; 0.5
    $robot_variant; gruntb; 0.5

CHALLENGE_DATA_END

SOME INFO ON MEASUREMENTS
    For easier reference, you can use a texture called “ind_stone_floor_07a” for a visual guide. Each of the tiles is exactly 1 meter squared. This will also help you to spot if textures are misaligned or stretched. You may find it useful to initially build your levels using just this texture and then changing it later once you are happy with the layout.

All measurements in OLE appear to be in meters in case you have any doubts.

A typical door is 2×2, the player ship is also 2×2 as are many basic bots. Triggers appear to only work if they are at least 2x2x2 as a minimum which suggests that an entity has to be ‘inside’ a box trigger in order to activate it or be affected by it.

SEGMENT TIPS
    At present, decals cannot be deleted once placed. Only switched to another decal. In order to remove a decal you unfortunately have to delete the whole segment and recreate it again.

When joining two segments together, they need to share a side of exactly the same size. So for example, if the side you want to connect is 6x2x6 and the adjacent segment side is 12x2x12 the joining process will not work and no error message will appear to notify you what is happening. You will need to split the larger segment down using the geometry tools and then align the vertices if need be.

Because of the aforementioned issue with joining sides, it is not a good idea to try and make a large room with a single segment. Having a large segment will also prevent you from being able to use many decals for detailing.

OTHER RANDOM TIPS

On the MODE bar is 3 boxes. Marked, Selected and Total. With 3 groups of numbers. These are segment, side, vertex. So in the total it will show the total number of segments, the total number of sides and the total number of vertices. Error codes will indicate a segment number and side so you can refer to this MODE bar to find the offending segment or side.

On the entity menu, the GUID is the entity number. This is helpful for error messages that indicate which entity has a problem.

Point lights are actually 6 spotlights so are more resource heavy than using decal light fixtures.

After applying a decal, if it doesn’t refresh in the views, press the return key. This tends to happen with undo.

TwoCablesTwoCables
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 118
    Replies: 1474

Regarding the minimum size for Triggers, I found that this isn’t true for the wall teleporters called Box Warper. When you place ‘Box Warper’ on a wall, the alien teleporter prop is automatically placed and oriented exactly as the Box Warper trigger entity is. From here, you use the ‘Teleport Out’ script to tell it which Box Warper trigger you want to come **OUT** of when you activate this Box Warper trigger.

So regarding the size, I have found the best size for this trigger is something very tiny. My findings are as follows:

For Box Warpers on a wall out in the open where you can see the entire prop, use:

SizeX: 1.5
    SizeY: 1.75 or 2
    SizeZ: 0.325

This enables you to still use it very easily without ever **accidentally** using it, such as the wall teleporters in the SP campaign and in Challenge Mode. In addition, it’s far more realistic because this size allows you to touch the prop. If you just used the standard trigger size of 4x4x1, then it would seem the frame of the teleporter prop is just for show instead of an actual thing in the world that you can touch and bump into.

For Box Warpers in a much tighter spot, such as at the end of a small tunnel (such as a tunnel you’d get if you just extruded a default segment without resizing it), you can use these dimensions:

SizeX: 1.5
    SizeY: 2.25
    SizeZ: 0.325

Even though this results in the visible hard part of the teleporter to be meaningless as a physical object, it works and feels much better than the more realistic approach.

I had my Box Warper triggers working just fine even as small as:

SizeX: 0.5
    SizeY: 0.5
    SizeZ: 0.5

So, it doesn’t matter what the size is, just as long as you can touch it. The mere existence of this trigger (and possibly all triggers?) is all that’s needed for the prop to automatically show up.

Since I am bringing up the wall teleporter, I can teach how to get them to work if you’d like, but I won’t do it in this thread unless it’s requested since this post is already huge. It’s very easy to figure out though: all you need at minimum are two Box Warper triggers and two ‘Teleport Out’ scripts. That’s it. You don’t need to put in a Prop entity at all. The trigger activates the script, and the script tells the game which Box Warper trigger to send you to. Oh, and the direction the Box Warper trigger entity is pointing is the direction you will be facing when you teleport out through that Box Warper trigger.

Now, regarding deleting decals, all you have to do is Hide them. It’s the same as deleting them, but you get the benefit of being able to unhide them if you were to ever change your mind. There is no need whatsoever to actually *delete* decals. Even if you had 12 hidden decals on every segment in your map (2 hidden decals per side, 6 sides per segment), it wouldn’t make any difference because being Hidden means they will not be rendered or even looked at by the game. The only thing that knows about or sees your hidden decals is the level editor. That’s for your benefit!

Do you have tons of hidden decals? Don’t worry about it. Any decals you put “over” a hidden decal actually *replaces* that hidden decal.

Regarding lights, another performance-related tip is, “No Shadow” lights (entities or decals) are better if you want to have less of an impact on performance. Only use lights that cast a shadow when you know for sure you want that light or those lights to cast shadows.

Also, if you are placing a decal light that is a Point light, you are free to change it to a Spot or a Spot No Shadow if you wish, or even Point No Shadow. Just remember, all changes you make to decals in the decal viewer are permanent changes to the decal file itself. This means you can have your own versions of any decal! All you have to do is go into the file folder and make a copy so that one can be the original and the other can be your custom version. I have already created some custom decals due to having a need to use those Nudge Up and Nudge Dn buttons with my Nudge Amount set to 0.007. It was the only way to achieve a perfect placement due to some fairly advanced type of geometry.

Finally, I personally feel it’s more universally understood to say “Press Enter” instead of “press Return”. I admit that I had to do a double-take when I saw that to make sure I understood you correctly, so…

Now, what Enter this does in the Level Editor is, it refreshes the GMeshes, So, this is how you see the current location of every single Decal after any action with segments or sides or vertices. Always, always, always press Enter after extruding, copying segments, moving segments, resizing segments, or deleting segments. Create an association in your mind between Decals and the Enter key. Anytime you extrude from a segment that has at least 1 decal on it (or if you copy and paste at least 1 such segment), each new extruded segment will have those decals too. This is why adding decals is something you should do when you’re pretty much done with geometry. So, basically, anytime you change any geometry that has decals on it, press Enter to refresh the GMeshes. This also applies to moving groups of segments that have decals on them.

Let’s say you have a large group of segments you need to move but you already placed your decals. What you will see happen as you move these segments is, the segments will move but the decals will not. They **ARE** moving, but the level editor just isn’t constantly updating the GMeshes for performance reasons. So, all you’ll need to do when you’re done making your desired changes to your geometry is, press Enter and then you’ll have the most current display of all of your decals. Press Enter often, especially right before Saving and Exporting if you wish to take one last careful look at everything.

Prepare for Overload…

KryyssKryyss
    Participant

Since there is now a OLE forum can we have this topic moved over there please admin?

TwoCablesTwoCables
    Kickstarter Backer

Who reported Kryyss’ post above?! There’s nothing inappropriate about his post.

Prepare for Overload…

KryyssKryyss
    Participant

I reported it so that the moderator would see the topic and move it. I don’t know of any other way to contact the forum admins.

TwoCablesTwoCables
    Kickstarter Backer

There aren’t any “forum admins”, per se. Usually, it’s Cathy Schneider who does the work with the forum, but it could also be anyone else on the team due to their forum permissions like Mike Kulas, Matt Toschlog, Luke Schneider, etc. From what I can tell, they don’t have anyone on their team that’s just a moderator or administrator for the forum.

Prepare for Overload…

Next Unread Topic:
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

Forums are currently locked.

Previous Topic: OLE forum needed for mappers Next Topic: Bugs and Feedback for OLE