The discussion has moved over to Discord

Home Forums Classic 6DOF Games Ratzez lyrics (from Descent II)

RSS Feed
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    defconxdefconx
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 17
    Replies: 70

I’ve been listening to this song for years and always tried not to hear the lyrics. But lately I loaded up the old Redbook and started listening more carefully to the construction (bearing in mind I have the rare belief that Splotchie-like lyrics actually work in Descent).

Well, something finally clicked and I think I finally nailed the lyrics and meaning this time. I believe it’s a metaphor for insane robots. Let me know what you think! 😛

♪ ♫ ♪ ♫ (menacing abuser footsteps) ♪ ♫ ♪ ♫

(The insane robot modeling itself on a psychotic bully picks up the microphone. Suspense, and then …)

It looks … like you’re Dre.
    Ha! … Striped dream.
    Hey kid! Happy birthday!
    Make me a meal of meat.

♪ ♫ ♪ ♫ (Noises of robot manufacturing murder weapons) ♪ ♫ ♪ ♫
    (Robot pauses, thinking)

♪ ♫ ♪ ♫ (Noises of robot continuing its manufacturing) ♪ ♫ ♪ ♫
    (Robot approaches mic again … prepare to be devastated … it speaks)

You take five. Careful, boy. Brunny*.
    No, that’s my chai. Make it, boy. Meal free.
    You’re not Hawn** in it.
    Oh happy kid, you’re a’ight.

*[the robot’s slang for brother bunny]
    **[possibly a reference to Goldie Hawn, a typical robot slam against humans?]

The robot ultimately, though it makes very menacing moves, is not programmed to hate and so finally resolves to be the player’s friend. It’s not like those other robots.

I hope this helps solve the mystery of the lyrics of Ratzez. Now will we get similar narrative bonuses in Overload?!

Hunter
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 6
    Replies: 69

‘they can f**k me!’ is in those lyrics, that’s why its distorted in the first place. But I do like your happy approach 😀

defconxdefconx
    Kickstarter Backer

Whaaa? You have the actual lyrics? And the lyrics are comprised of actual words? I must know them!

Haunted ParraspHaunted Parrasp
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 31
    Replies: 428

I’ve heard yet another version and it doesn’t sound any more right to me than either of yours (although it kinda makes some sense when you get to know what SP actually writes about).
    And no, Hunter, that’s not the reason he’s distorted it. Ogre’s distorted it because that’s what he does *always*. Not always this much but… sometimes it is. After listening to the singing on regular Skinny Puppy, I’m not entirely sure that the other two songs that were done for Descent don’t have lyrics too.

I think if you wanted to actually know what it was you’d need to ask Ogre himself. If he even remembers.
    Here, I think in some places he was shouting in a way where the syllables of words and hard consonants were disconnected, and some words are mispronounced. Combine that with the distortion and you’d get plenty of words that sound like completely different words, or single words that you hear as two or three indecipherable words.

Ship’s cat, MPSV Iberia
    Check out his original music @ http://vertigofox.bandcamp.com/

TerminalTerminal
    Participant
    Topics: 10
    Replies: 18

It looks … like you’re Dre.

I see the connection now. Beats by Dravis

Hunter
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 6
    Replies: 69

I reject your reality and replace it with my own. Swearing! 😛 Do you have more examples of Ogre’s distorted lyrics?
    Btw, the extended version of ‘Haunted’ has sounds of people having hot interpersonal relations..

defconxdefconx
    Kickstarter Backer

No, no Hunter, they’re clearly being tortured, not in throes of ecstasy! 😀

Haunted ParraspHaunted Parrasp
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 31
    Replies: 428

I tell myself that whenever I hear a live version of The Becoming.
    NIN counts. 😀

Yes I do have examples of Skinny Puppy songs like that Hunter, but I have too many because it’s very nearly all of them. Gotta narrow it down somehow. 😛 It isn’t always the whole song.
    And I don’t want to clog this thread with a dozen youtube videos. My connection would never load your response.

This one might be an example of indecipherable (if not all distorted) but I’m sure there are better ones. Oh and, ah, discretion for those who don’t like swears cause this actually has some bombs.

Listen to the whole thing cause there are a whole bunch of different sorts of distorted and non-distorted vocals in here.
    If you want to look for more examples maybe try looking at “Knowhere”, “Tsudanama” or “Point”. Like I said I don’t want to post all these videos on here. There’s a bunch of other stuff from the 2013 album too, where Ogre seems to have been reborn as a Dalek.

Ship’s cat, MPSV Iberia
    Check out his original music @ http://vertigofox.bandcamp.com/

Next Unread Topic:
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

Forums are currently locked.

Previous Topic: 1 weapon per key please Next Topic: Is combo bonus really a good thing?