The discussion has moved over to Discord

Home Forums Overload Development Red damage flash & SFX

RSS Feed

Tagged: 

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    parabolicus
    Participant
    Topics: 3
    Replies: 1

Sorry if a topic for this already exists, but I couldn’t find it using the search.

In D1 and D2, whenever you get damage, you’d hear a distinctive sound (but only with direct hits, and louder with more damage) and see the screen tint red temporarily. For me, this is a super important cue to know whenever I get damage, and when playing Overload, I can’t really tell whenever I’m taking damage without having to constantly look at the armor bar.

Will there be more cues on when you get damage or perhaps even a similar effect as in D1/D2? Perhaps even the same sound effect? (I was somehow very satisfied when I heard the good ol’ missile lock sound!)

DiamondWolf
    Participant
    Topics: 15
    Replies: 57

+1

CHILLYBUSCHILLYBUS
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 61
    Replies: 173

There are/have been a lot of opinions on this — visual feedback is interpreted very subjectively and tough to nail down perfectly. Too much, and it’s difficult to make sense of anything and will not be fun to play. Too little, and you’re not conveying information at all.

I’m of the mind where things now are in a pretty good spot — they were really intense in prior builds and it was a strain to work through. Perhaps a slider could be developed for visual feedback, call it ‘damage edge glow’ or something? idk I’d hate to just keep piling on features for the options menus but it might be easier to have it go 0-10 or something rather than try to find a perfect point and still leave people in the lurch.

Keep your eyes on the reticle indicators, too. The radial pointer and shield readouts are immensely helpful tools to have.

TwoCablesTwoCables
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 118
    Replies: 1474

Yeah, at one point they had an extremely strong blurring effect of everything when taking damage. While that might sound cool when reading it, experiencing it isn’t fun at all and I remember that we *all* complained because it was unfair to be temporarily blinded with blurry vision with every hit.

What they have going now in the Version 0.5 Build 61 (or, “Drop #5”) of Early Access is exactly what you’re looking for: a very obvious visual indication when being hit by something that causes damage. It’s a momentary flash of a damaging color like red and orange and yellow and some white all blended together to form an effective color.

If you currently have Drop #5, then pay closer attention because you can’t miss the visual flash when taking a hit, and of course you can’t miss the sound of the hull taking a hit either.

Prepare for Overload…

parabolicus
    Participant
    Topics: 3
    Replies: 1

I’m of the mind where things now are in a pretty good spot — they were really intense in prior builds and it was a strain to work through. Perhaps a slider could be developed for visual feedback, call it ‘damage edge glow’ or something? idk I’d hate to just keep piling on features for the options menus but it might be easier to have it go 0-10 or something rather than try to find a perfect point and still leave people in the lurch.

I +1 the idea of having a setting.

Yeah, at one point they had an extremely strong blurring effect of everything when taking damage. While that might sound cool when reading it, experiencing it isn’t fun at all and I remember that we *all* complained because it was unfair to be temporarily blinded with blurry vision with every hit.

What they have going now in the Version 0.5 Build 61 (or, “Drop #5”) of Early Access is exactly what you’re looking for: a very obvious visual indication when being hit by something that causes damage. It’s a momentary flash of a damaging color like red and orange and yellow and some white all blended together to form an effective color.

If you currently have Drop #5, then pay closer attention because you can’t miss the visual flash when taking a hit, and of course you can’t miss the sound of the hull taking a hit either.

I wouldn’t support a blurring effect, and now that I tried build 61, I could see the effect, but I think it’s too short / fades away too quickly, so I tend to miss it in the heat of the action. Another possible reason is the color itself, since it might actually blend in too well with the rest of the lighting (Edit: if I was to decide, I’d make it a bright red or at least closer to it). Also, the sound is missable, because I think it also blends in too well with the rest of the game’s sounds (unlike the D1/D2 sound which was distinctive and served its purpose very well).

Next Unread Topic:
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

Forums are currently locked.

Previous Topic: Crates/Props/Destructibles in Story Mode Next Topic: Chex Quest HD