The discussion has moved over to Discord

Home Forums Overload Development "Regrowth" music track

RSS Feed

This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Haunted Parrasp Haunted Parrasp 18 Jul 2018 @ 6:10pm.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Haunted Parrasp
    Haunted Parrasp
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 31
    Replies: 428

I would love to hear the whole story of how this song was written from either Dan or Mikal if he’s here. Parts of it sound so much like two musicians riffing off each other as they play it’s hard to imagine it being done across continents. And the parallels to Descent’s level 1 track are very interesting too…

The name also seems to have the least to do with Overload (or Larry Peacock, hehe) of anything on the soundtrack and I wonder if there is a story there too.

Ship’s cat, MPSV Iberia
    Check out his original music @ http://vertigofox.bandcamp.com/

Danimal
    Danimal
    Overload Team
    Topics: 0
    Replies: 33

Hey Splotchie,
    Where to start… Here is a slightly remastered version of how the track basically began. At the time it had a whole lot of Absynth and sampled orchestral elements.

Here is phase 1 of the collaboration around the same time, it’s also the first track on my sound cloud account!

After which it sat on the creative shelf (for 6 years??) until Luke found it and asked if I would include it, or a slightly revisited version in Overload. The rest is history!

Interesting side note, you may notice the Overload version was transposed from D to E. I felt this was needed to help advance the progression in the campaign relative to other scores.

Dan

Haunted Parrasp
    Haunted Parrasp
    Kickstarter Backer

Heh, so, only four of your gameplay tracks in the game were actually written for it. I know Hidden Grind came about right at the end and Darkness Eternal came right at the start but, if you don’t mind another question, when did “Really Cold Pain” come about? It’s a really intruiging song and very different from the rest of the soundtrack (the alternating 5/4 and 4/4 time signatures, the sporadic and changing percussion, the highpassed guitar sounds and the background noises) it’s probably my favourite after “Level Up”. You tapped into something really weird and interesting there and from a musician’s perspective myself I would love to know what sort of a place it came from.

Ship’s cat, MPSV Iberia

Danimal
    Danimal
    Overload Team
    Topics: 0
    Replies: 33

Technically, Regrowth (note the title change) was one of a few songs which were originally conceived or written years ago, then brought back and reworked for this game. I write music all the time, but you already knew that! 🙂

Really Cold Pain was originally written almost exactly one year ago to the day.

Dan

Haunted Parrasp
    Haunted Parrasp
    Kickstarter Backer

I didn’t mean anything by it. I always thought Meddler was a Descent song at its heart (I think I had it playing while I was going through the Vertigo Series at one point) and it’s a joy to hear it in this game. And it’s great to hear a little sketch of a track like “Reassess” expanded into a full theme song.

Ship’s cat, MPSV Iberia

Next Unread Topic:
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

Forums are currently locked.

Previous Topic: Audio log pickup stutter Next Topic: PS4 Physical Copy?