The discussion has moved over to Discord

Home Forums Overload Development Save games

RSS Feed

Tagged: 

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    giftiggiftig
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 4
    Replies: 14

I hope I’m not too late to put my two cents in this, but I was just watching the June 21 Overload Dev QA and I have to say, the mention of checkpoints or such really, really makes my blood boil.

Checkpoints were created by bad developers who couldn’t figure out a more efficient way to utilize terrible small memory cards in 90s game consoles. They are completely stupid and should never, EVER be utilized in any game released on a PC, EVER.

/strong opinion over.

Life’s tough. It’s tougher if you’re stupid. ~John Wayne

Goznik
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 3
    Replies: 119

What would you prefer instead?

I think that the old Descent way of save and load was really bad, It got to the point that me and my brother used to save every minute and load every time we got hit.

giftiggiftig
    Kickstarter Backer

If that’s your playstyle, there’s nothing wrong with that. If you’re streaming or recording and uploading, everyone will recognize if you’re any good or not based on if you have to save your game and reload frequently to survive. Being able to save frequently and reload is, in my opinion, an integral part of learning the game well without significant frustration from time lost. Especially for casual players without the ability to play for long stretches or frequently.

ionized
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 1
    Replies: 23

I think it’s best to let the player decide when and how often to save but maybe use achievements to reward players who save less frequently, for example an achievement for not saving more than once per level.

In Descent I force myself to only save at the beginning of each level and just before a boss encounter.

CDN_MerlinCDN_Merlin
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 15
    Replies: 243

Even Half Life user the Descent style save. I love it.

Goznik
    Kickstarter Backer

everyone will recognize if you’re any good or not based on if you have to save your game and reload frequently to survive.

Just to set the records straight! It wasn’t a matter of how good we where.
    It was an OCD style need to have a perfect game.
    I remember loading a save if the spider didn’t spawn 4 babies because it meant lower score.
    Of course is wasn’t an option ending a level without 200 shields and energy, for the score.

It wouldn’t be a big deal for me if they go back to the old way, I’ll just have to limit myself to a save at the beginning of a level like Ionized said.

giftiggiftig
    Kickstarter Backer

I know what you mean — I do the same thing every time if I let myself. But I’d still rather have the option.

YoshimitsuYoshimitsu
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 57
    Replies: 421

I agree 100% that manual saves are the way to go. It is endlessly aggravating to play a game where you don’t have the option to save and quit at any time. I, like many others, no longer have the time to play as much as I’d like and I need to be able to put the game down on MY schedule, not a checkpoint system’s.

Aside from that there is another problem with checkpoints. More often than I’d like a checkpoint has triggered when I am in bad shape in game and would rather die instead. Now I’m left to face a boss with few resources and very little health/armor/shields. That is not my idea of fun.

SiriusSirius
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 9
    Replies: 406

Save on exit, no reloads allowed? 😀

visionvision
    Kickstarter Backer
    Replies: 38

While I don’t have a problem with checkpoints fundamentally, as someone who is often “on call” I would prefer the option to save anytime of my choosing.

LotharBot
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 1
    Replies: 133

IMO it’s very important to be able to save frequently, but at the same time, if there are technical hurdles in allowing saves at literally any moment (such as, for example, storing shots that are in the air) it’s not important enough to go out of your way to allow.

I like the way old-school Baldur’s Gate handled saves. As long as there was no active hostile combat (meaning, enemies that had targeted you) you could save. The game would also create auto-saves when entering a new zone. So you couldn’t save mid-fight, but you could save before each individual fight and try to get whatever result you would be happy with from that fight. And as each fight is typically a maximum of like 30-45 seconds, that lets you get up and walk away from the game fairly often — but without having to go through as many technical issues having to save and re-sync stuff like shots that are in the air.

Goznik
    Kickstarter Backer

I like the idea of having to go to a safe calm place in order to make a save.

Haunted ParraspHaunted Parrasp
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 31
    Replies: 428

Yeah I have no problem with checkpoints or autosaves as long as I can also save my game when I want to. 🙂
    Very much like Yoshi and Vision said, sometimes I just have five minutes or so to play before I have to go to work and it’s certainly not fun to start, find something good or win a small fight… and then have to do it all over again the next time because I didn’t reach a checkpoint. The only game where you shouldn’t be able to save between checkpoints is a racing game. 😛

That being said… there have been a couple of checkpoint systems I played that I thought were done well. And then there was the system in Dead Space where you could go back to a checkpoint and re-save your game any time you could actually get back to the last one.
    Still I’d still like to see entirely manual saves along with whatever checkpoints or autosaves will be in Overload. Not being able to save while something is attacking you could be a good idea to prevent players screwing themselves over accidentally, but I think that’s as far as you need to go.

Ship’s cat, MPSV Iberia
    Check out his original music @ http://vertigofox.bandcamp.com/

MoonMoon
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 6
    Replies: 10

I very much prefer the Descent way of saving games over any alterations! IIRC, Descent was the first one to offer a screenshot with your save game so you actually could see where you left off. And please, do it like D3 and don’t use save slots but freely nameable save games. I’m currently playing the new Duke 3D ep and having only 10 slots sucks.

Haunted ParraspHaunted Parrasp
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 31
    Replies: 428

But wasn’t D3 the one where the game only had 10 slots total no matter how many pilot profiles you had?
    I’m sure I remember being able to name saves in D1 and D2, even without the source ports.

Ship’s cat, MPSV Iberia
    Check out his original music @ http://vertigofox.bandcamp.com/

Next Unread Topic:
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)

Forums are currently locked.

Previous Topic: Put overload on 2017 game releases wiki! Next Topic: Direct3D11 has serious graphic problems for me