The discussion has moved over to Discord

Home Forums Community Hijinks and Random Stuff Share Your Control Config

RSS Feed
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 42 total)
  • Author
    MiasmicMiasmic
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 3
    Replies: 59

About how much did the materials cost you to build it? I’m always looking for cool projects to do.

1up1up
    Kickstarter Backer
    Replies: 82

Not exactly sure but it was around 200,- bucks excluding the milled adapter block and the machined hollow shaft. Those were made by a friend of mine.

ThrashNeonThrashNeon
    Participant
    Topics: 5
    Replies: 5

I’d love to find an alternative for slide up/down, preferably on the mouse, but I don’t believe that these actions can be assigned to the mouse wheel, but in all fairness, I’d have to check to be sure. Even so, given that I use mouse left/right for pri/sec weapons, placing movement onto the mouse wheel may interfere with firing. In any event, this kind of lefty setup (Mouse left hand, NUMPAD right hand) lends itself wonderfully to all manner of shooters – especially the NUMPAD layout which provides a neat, uncluttered and logical array of keys/functions away from the main keyboard area.

I’m not a lefty, but I’ve always used the numpad for my left hand and mouse right. I started using this config in the mid 90s specifically for Descent (and Marathon, Unreal Tournament, etc).
    My setup is pretty similar to yours… except:

numpad 7 = roll left
    numpad 8 = fwd
    numpad 9 = roll right
    numpad 4 = slide left
    numpad 5 = back
    numpad 6 = slide right
    down arrow = boost/smash
    numpad enter = slide up (under my thumb)
    right arrow = slide down (under my pinky)

numpad . = map
    numpad + = headlight
    numpad – = flare
    numpad * = guidebot

You might try dn arrow and enter for slides and 7 & 9 (or 1 & 3) for rolls… I prefer to have them under different fingers.

PersonicusPersonicus
    Participant
    Topics: 6
    Replies: 35

I’d love to find an alternative for slide up/down, preferably on the mouse, but I don’t believe that these actions can be assigned to the mouse wheel, but in all fairness, I’d have to check to be sure. Even so, given that I use mouse left/right for pri/sec weapons, placing movement onto the mouse wheel may interfere with firing. In any event, this kind of lefty setup (Mouse left hand, NUMPAD right hand) lends itself wonderfully to all manner of shooters – especially the NUMPAD layout which provides a neat, uncluttered and logical array of keys/functions away from the main keyboard area.

I’m not a lefty, but I’ve always used the numpad for my left hand and mouse right. I started using this config in the mid 90s specifically for Descent (and Marathon, Unreal Tournament, etc).
    My setup is pretty similar to yours… except:

numpad 7 = roll left
    numpad 8 = fwd
    numpad 9 = roll right
    numpad 4 = slide left
    numpad 5 = back
    numpad 6 = slide right
    down arrow = boost/smash
    numpad enter = slide up (under my thumb)
    right arrow = slide down (under my pinky)

numpad . = map
    numpad + = headlight
    numpad – = flare
    numpad * = guidebot

You might try dn arrow and enter for slides and 7 & 9 (or 1 & 3) for rolls… I prefer to have them under different fingers.

Interesting, and nice to see someone else enjoying the NUMPAD ! I briefly experimented with your suggestion of using the down arrow and NUMPAD ENTER for vert/horiz slides, but it didn’t feel quite right, perhaps because I’m now so used to my current setup. I’ve previously also tried out NUMPAD 7/9 for rolls, but that seems to interfere with forward, left and right movements (NUM8, NUM4, NUM6).

For the most part, my current setup that I posted above seems to work fine and after 160+ hrs, it feels pretty good.

Dexterity is unfortunately my handicap, so I don’t foresee any significant improvements in my performance being gained in the near future regardless of control config tweaks.

Thanks for sharing your NUMPAD config however…..what’s your leaderboard handle by the way ?

EDIT: Ooopps….that IS your leaderboard handle.

ThrashNeonThrashNeon
    Participant
    Topics: 5
    Replies: 5

I’ve previously also tried out NUMPAD 7/9 for rolls, but that seems to interfere with forward, left and right movements (NUM8, NUM4, NUM6).

Yeah it’s not 100% ideal… for now, I’ve got 7/9 set to roll 90. If I could get Overload to recognize my additional mouse buttons, I think I’d try mapping roll left/right to my forward/back buttons.

It would be cool if there was a “Roll modifier” key.

PersonicusPersonicus
    Participant
    Replies: 35

I’ve previously also tried out NUMPAD 7/9 for rolls, but that seems to interfere with forward, left and right movements (NUM8, NUM4, NUM6).

Yeah it’s not 100% ideal… for now, I’ve got 7/9 set to roll 90. If I could get Overload to recognize my additional mouse buttons, I think I’d try mapping roll left/right to my forward/back buttons.

It would be cool if there was a “Roll modifier” key.

Have you heard of “GlovePie” ? It’s an input emulator that allows you to map any input from (almost) any device to an in-game keybind i.e. for those games that simply don’t allow for key-rebindings. I’ve been using this little app for years now and it’s been great in helping me when I’ve been in a bind (pun intended) and couldn’t map certain keys within a game’s config.

It might be worth looking at to see if you could get your other mouse buttons bound ? Just a thought.

argentium
    Participant
    Topics: 0
    Replies: 1

I never played any 6DoF games like Descent so I don’t have any joysticks and not quite familiar with the complex keyboard controls.

I use a DS4 controller and have to configure some the Sixaxis capabilities to keyboard controls to use it together with standard controls. The non-default controls are:
    Left Analog Stick:
    Up: Slide up
    Down: Slide down

L1: Backward
    L2: Forward

Tilt right: Roll right
    Tilt left: Roll left

I originially tried the sixaxis to the following:
    tilt right: turn right
    tilt left: turn left
    tilt up: pitch up
    tilt down: pitch down
    However, the tilts was not as responsive. I ended up with the original control scheme for turn and pitch, but I added the rolls to the tilt.

The game seems more like fit for joysticks or even motion controllers like Razer Hydra and HTC Vive. The analog sticks just lack 1 degree of freedom for each. I wonder if there is anyone else here playing with standard console controllers.

YoshimitsuYoshimitsu
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 57
    Replies: 421

Today I had reason (away from home and on an old computer) to try Overload with Mouse and Keyboard. I’ll not be switching to it any time soon but the controls I set up worked pretty well. This is a variation of the controls I use for all FPS games I play. I’m a right-hander but I like the layout of the number pad so I shove the keyboard over on my desk to access it comfortably.
    Yoshi's Kb/M setup

MiasmicMiasmic
    Kickstarter Backer
    Replies: 59

I’ve been playing a lot more kb+m, so I figured I’d upload share my config of that. It’s pretty similar to D2 http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1351741862 I don’t use the arrows, I use a mouse, I just never removed those binds.
    Then the only additional controls I have are smash on my rear thumb mouse button, boost on the forward one, and rear view on the scroll wheel click.

I imagine I will have to bind keys for weapons when MP comes around. Right now I enjoy the convenience of the scroll wheel.

mickey1mickey1
    Participant
    Replies: 16

Mickey1’s controller map

Rear view – Mouse rear thumb button

slide left – a
    slide back – s
    slide forward – d
    slide right – f
    slide up – left heel
    slide down – left toe
    roll right right toe
    roll left – right heel
    after burner – space bar

Pitch Up/Down: mouse reverse/forward

Turn Left/Right: mouse left/right

primary fire – left mouse button
    secondary fire – right mouse button
    flair – g

Countermeasures – Scroll wheel press

primary select – scroll wheel forward
    secondary select – scroll wheel reverse

Foot controller
    Programmable USB Foot Switch Controller Stealth Switch 3

Shop

(4) Otto P3-31112 push and hold switches from Mauser Electronics
    800 346 6873
    1/c 2/r 3/t 4/v

scott
    Participant
    Replies: 8

1up, that is one hell of a mod…

crstlmethcrstlmeth
    Participant
    Replies: 7

crstlmethcrstlmeth
    Participant
    Replies: 7

6DOFgear

Well, here it is, my current rig for Overload and Descent II. Being a lefty this might look a bit peculiar to most. I have tried dozens of different setups and devices and as of yet have not found anything that has compared to the only true left handed device I every used, a spaceorb 360. The only exception to that is the rig I have been using for the past 6 – 8 months.
    As you can see in the pictures there is a joystick, standard unmodified Thrustmaster Cougar. I use this only for firing primaries, secondaries and afterburner-boost. Now, the second device is a spaceball 5000 controller board inside of a Thrustmaster cougar HOTAS with a cyberman II puck on top. I have had several renditions of this both with the puck and the classic ball with different boards.
    The pucks directional control (ALL 6DOF’s) are configured in Sx2vJoy with primary and secondary selections made by ControlMyJoystick. This device works incredibly well in overload, the response, maneuverability and ease of control is fantastic, if you use a lot of rolling, banking and trichording this is the set up!
    This device was made by a friend of mine Max, you can find him on the leaderboards on overload or on the D2 tracker.
    I did say at the beginning that this is my current set up. Max is creating a new all in one device for me as he did for another player (Harmonic found over on the leaderboards). Harmonic is a righty and is currently fine tuning and tweaking his new rig. If you would like to see how well these devices work, you can catch Crstlmeth, Max or Harmonic out on steam broadcasting our Challenge Mode runs almost nightly (EST). Stop in and chat or just watch we would love to see you.

Fresh out of the mold Many thanks to Harmonic and Max, they just pulled this from the mold. This is the new device I will be using for Overload and D2, of course holes need to be drilled, guts added and then sync it to control my joystick. This is the first step and I am damn excited about it! Anyone have any ideas on what skin I should use on the shell?

dravis
    Kickstarter Backer
    Replies: 1

Cybermaster

hurleybird
    Kickstarter Backer
    Replies: 41

That’s so awesome

Next Unread Topic:
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 42 total)

Forums are currently locked.

Previous Topic: A new sport. Shredder Baiting! Next Topic: I enjoyed this one! 186 kills on Rookie in Blizzard.