The discussion has moved over to Discord

Home Forums Overload Development Shock Rifle

RSS Feed
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    De-M-oNDe-M-oN
    Participant
    Topics: 2
    Replies: 2

Do you know the shock rifle of unreal tournament?

I really like the mechanic of the weapon:

Fire a shock ball with secondary fire key, then shoot it with primary (a medium damage laser beam) to make a combo (powerful shock explosion (huge damage within the radius).

Everyone who knows unreal tournament, knows also what I mean (and who doesnt know UT?? 😛 )

I think such a weapon would fit very good at this game too!

Haunted ParraspHaunted Parrasp
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 31
    Replies: 428

I don’t know much of UT. 😛
    I’d be wary of too many instant-hit type weapons in a game based around this type of movement. If the multiplayer becomes a game of aiming alone then you kinda lose any reason to use that extra axis. You ever notice how many of the really popular mass driver maps in Descent 3 like Indika were really flat?
    Also, a weapon like that would add an extra element to an already steep learning curve for new players. It would certainly be fun to use something like this in a singleplayer mission though.

Not meaning to reject your suggestion — only give you some food for thought so you can improve the idea. I think Revival has already decided on the weapon types for the base game, but I’m still hoping they’re able to release those mod tools… and if they do you should be able to make custom weapons yourself!

Ship’s cat, MPSV Iberia
    Check out his original music @ http://vertigofox.bandcamp.com/

CDN_MerlinCDN_Merlin
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 15
    Replies: 243

I don’t think it would work due to the simple fact that Overload is 360° and UT is not.

SiriusSirius
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 9
    Replies: 406

The issue is… that UT has primary and secondary fire. Overload, like Descent, has primary and secondary weapons. You’d have to have some kind of secondary weapon (impact mortar-ish?) that you can tag with your driller cannon or something. Or your (travel-time) lasers if you want to show off.

ShadesmasterShadesmaster
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 1
    Replies: 43

Hey that gives me an idea! Maybe shoot a MISSILE and have one of the weapons be able to explode it ‘differently.’ Like an energy-based missile with a sniper main weapon….

CDN_MerlinCDN_Merlin
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 15
    Replies: 243

At the speed that Descent is, that feat would be almost impossible.

De-M-oNDe-M-oN
    Participant
    Topics: 2
    Replies: 2

@Splotchie I honestly didnt think about multiplayer. The current Descents I prefer to play in Single Player.

I don’t think it would work due to the simple fact that Overload is 360° and UT is not.

I dont see the problem? In UT I shoot in all directions as well and even while moving.

The issue is… that UT has primary and secondary fire

Which I totally forgot. But maybe we find another implementation idea like you tried already 🙂
    Whatever I forgot this problem.

At the speed that Descent is, that feat would be almost impossible.

compared to Unreal Tournament, Descent is slow though.

Tminator
    Participant
    Topics: 0
    Replies: 5

Agree, would like to see such a mechanic, would be interesting. But there are few secondary weapons right now that would be fitting candidates.

Haunted ParraspHaunted Parrasp
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 31
    Replies: 428

Worth pointing out I think Retrovirus did something like this (if not entirely this, at least something like it :P) with the scan mechanic.

Ship’s cat, MPSV Iberia
    Check out his original music @ http://vertigofox.bandcamp.com/

SiriusSirius
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 9
    Replies: 406

I can really only think of Creepers. The Devastator already has that kind of mechanic with the double-tap, and the others are generally too fast to hit.

Could make the Thunderbolt amplify the explosions of Creepers if you hit in mid-air, maybe. Proportionate to the charge level… something like that.

Tminator
    Participant
    Topics: 0
    Replies: 5

Yes, my thoughts.
    My idea was, as I in general feel Overloads armaments are a tad to similar, that it could somewhat modify the effect. Like: shooting the creeper transforms it into something similar to the smart mines of Descent 2. It overcharges it and increases the trigger radius but instead of exploding it then fires a plasma-infused-lightning-zap-whatever at the nearest enemy. And maybe extend the lifespan of them.

TwoCablesTwoCables
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 118
    Replies: 1474

One of my favorite things about Overload though is how simple and yet extremely effective everything is so far. There are even some new primary and secondary weapons in the November Demo I discovered using the cheat code for all weapons and all ammo that I think you guys will love. A few of them will be familiar, others will be new to you (but a couple of them seem to be *FAR* from being finished). Rest assured though, you will be playing Overload and never missing much of anything in Descent 1 or 2 – even though you won’t have some of the same things you had back then. I will *not* discuss the cheat code in public, nor will I say what the new weapons are in public. You have to PM me for that information.

I play Overload every day and I can tell you that I’m not missing anything, and it’s not making me want anything either. If I want something more complex or tactical or whatever, then I’ll play like some military ground-pounder. In Overload though, it’s all about launching the game and blowing up robots. I don’t see any need to complicate anything if the benefit isn’t enough to really make it worth the team’s time and energy (and money).

I’d never use the ideas presented here because in comparison to what we already have, they sound clunky and would hurt the flow and pace of my game. I think the team feels the same way: if it disrupts the flow and pace at all, then it’s not going to be in the game. So far, they have done an excellent job. There’s nothing I can think of that we have right now even in the November Demo that disrupts the flow or pace. Everything fits right in without slowing anything down one bit.

Prepare for Overload…

Next Unread Topic:
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

Forums are currently locked.

Previous Topic: Suggestion: "shockwave"-type enemy! Next Topic: Radix: Beyond the void