The discussion has moved over to Discord

Home Forums Overload Development Development questions

RSS Feed
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 54 total)
  • Author
    Matt Toschlog
    Overload Team
    Topics: 22
    Replies: 88

We’re excited to open this dialog about the development of Overload. We’re looking forward to a successful Kickstarter campaign so we can get back to work, and then we’ll be excited to provide regular updates. In the meanwhile — Questions? Please ask.

And thanks to everyone who has backed our Kickstarter campaign so far!

– Matt

karx11erxkarx11erx
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 4
    Replies: 28

Hi Matt,

awesome to see you guys back in the Descent (-ish) business! 🙂

What do you think about adding P2P UDP/IP networking like Descent 1 + 2 had it, at least as a stop-gap solution? Shouldn’t be too hard to add, and all current Descent 1/2 source ports I know of use adaptations of the original networking code to UDP/IP and have made additions in the areas of lag and packet loss compensation that seem to work very well, particularly since today’s internet is much more powerful than it was when Descent 1 + 2 were conceived. I bet all the source mod authors would be more than willing to share their ideas with you (I certainly would). This would also mean that you could offer co-op play for Overload’s singleplayer mode; Something that would certainly increase its popularity.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 3 months ago by karx11erxkarx11erx.
    Mike Kulas
    Overload Team
    Topics: 24
    Replies: 186

First user post is about multiplayer. 😉

Super busy this morning. We will come up for air this afternoon and reply.

Thanks!

P.S. Reddit AMA at 12:00 CT today. Will post link when we have it, probably around 11:40.

karx11erxkarx11erx
    Kickstarter Backer
    Replies: 28

I am actually not that much of a PvP guy (at least in Descent), but I really like doing co-op SP.

I had added another question to my above post, but the edit apparently didn’t get saved. :/

So here it is again. It’s about dynamic shadows. I noticed that gun shots do not cause objects to cast shadows in Overload. I have them do this in D2X-XL, and I think it looks quite cool when shadows are moving over the environment as a gun shot approaches or passes an object. As pointed out in the Kickstarter comments, having that as an option would be great. How about having the closest three gun shots have an object cast shadows (shadow tint depending on distance of gun shot to object)? An optimization to this I was doing in D2X-XL was to have light objects representing several gun shots that are close to each other (like e.g. quad laser bolts or those dual plasma orbs). I know you know your job. Just throwing ideas at you. 🙂

• This reply was modified 4 years, 3 months ago by karx11erxkarx11erx.
    Cathy Schneider
    Overload Team
    Topics: 67
    Replies: 224
    serenehazmat
    Kickstarter Backer
    Replies: 12

What level of community development involvement are you thinking of for Overload? The attraction of backing a kickstarter effort is to see the progress and somehow feel a part of it in some small way..

For example, it would be great if there was some kind of behind the scenes sharing. A weekly youtube channel?

I’m guessing the team is pretty small right now (and very busy with the Kickstarter) but I think there is a huge interest in what was happening since the 2014 start of this project and what is planned once the kickstarter funding phase is over.

So far, it looks like a lot of (great) effort has been put into using the new platform to create a modern experience, yet capture the essence of the original feel.

Any comments to share on the comparison of how the original platform was coded versus how its now being done? My recollection of those days is that you had to use a DOS extender and code all of your low level I/O — that must have been a hassle!

kudos2n
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 0
    Replies: 5

Super excited for Overload – the Descent games are some of my favourite games of all time!

I missed my chance to ask these during the AMA, hopefully it’s okay to ask them here:

What are your thoughts on weapons in Overload? I always loved the first few levels of a new game of Descent where you had to use what you found. But once you picked up your favourite, there weren’t many reasons to switch to anything else (except if you ran out of energy/ammo). In Overload, do you think there’ll be an incentive to switch things up every once and a while?

Second, what are your thoughts on player deaths/respawning? Descent straddled a weird line between using lives and saving/loading. I personally found myself compulsively saving and reloading a lot more than I like to admit.

MAKAsaurusFLEX
    Participant
    Topics: 0
    Replies: 21

In D1 and D2, we oldschool Descentrs used to use a technique called “triple-chording” to increase our framerate/speed. Any notion of if that’ll be possible again? I never played D3 so I’m not sure if that was developed out or not. TIA.

SiriusSirius
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 9
    Replies: 406

It was in Descent 3 as well.

DarkhorseDarkhorse
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 2
    Replies: 127

It was a movement speed increase rather than framerate increase – believe Mike confirmed that a similar multi-vector boost is in Overload but I’m not clear on the numbers.

Haunted ParraspHaunted Parrasp
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 31
    Replies: 428

Very curious about co-op. I have a small group of people who love old co-op games where you’re not punished for backstabbing your friends. If you’re playing with people who like it it really adds a whole new dimension to a co-op game. Plus, here we’ve got that actual whole new dimension… 😀

Ship’s cat, MPSV Iberia
    Check out his original music @ http://vertigofox.bandcamp.com/

Quadruplesword
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 10
    Replies: 31

Since I missed the AMA, I’ll post a question I had here.

Descent and 6DoF shooters in general have always been a niche market. Folks have been playing Descent for over 10 years, but that was a small and very dedicated group of people. I know you guys are releasing to Xbox One and PS4 as well, so have you considered how you’ll sell Overload to a modern crowd of gamers whose interests lie mainly with infantry based FPSes?

Luke Schneider
    Overload Team
    Replies: 115

…it would be great if there was some kind of behind the scenes sharing. A weekly youtube channel?

…what was happening since the 2014 start of this project and what is planned once the kickstarter funding phase is over.

[Edit: Holy cow quotes are huge, we’ll have to fix that]

We probably won’t be sharing weekly updates, as they take a lot of time to produce and record. On the other hand, recording a few hours of work and chopping it down to the relevant portions is fairly quick/easy. It’s like streaming on twitch, but I can cut out the irrelevant sections. We will do something like that at least monthly, if not much more often.

As for what we’ve been doing since 2014, here’s a quick breakdown:
    * I was the primary developer for most of 2014 (post-Inferno 2), with Mike and Matt directing and providing technical guidance. Also had another programmer pitching in on some technical issues.
    * We went a few different directions at the beginning, with some prototyping in UE4, then switching to Unity. I used a few different modeling programs and what were doing early on just didn’t feel great aside from a boxy test level.
    * We decided to switch to cubes after Mike kept mentioning how nice they were for AI, and I was getting annoyed because I wanted to use them too. I loved them for level design. Once we figured out geometry decals, I started working on the level editor.
    * Things went pretty well for a while. But then I had to start making more art and things started to stall.
    * We took a break in April of 2015 for a few months. No work really got done on Overload in that time. I worked on Gigatron, Inferno 2 on Steam, and Devastator (iOS). Matt and Mike waited patiently for me to finish.
    * In Sept. 2015, we really amped up production. Chris Claflin joined the team, I came back full-time, and Mike and Matt switched to full-time work as well.
    * Things have been humming along very well since then. Kickstarters are a ton of work though.

Post Kickstarter, we’ll be focused on the game. There are lots of elements that don’t really need input to do correctly, technical challenges where we just need to get down to it and program stuff or make content. But there are some things we’ll be seeking input on, and we’ll do our best to find a balance.

I prefer to make a strong push for a month or two, then come up for breath, re-evaluate what we have, decide on a plan, and then get back to work. The re-evaluating portion is where you guys can really help. Getting new ideas and being pushed to make things better helps a lot.

Luke Schneider
    Overload Team
    Replies: 115

What are your thoughts on weapons in Overload? I always loved the first few levels of a new game of Descent where you had to use what you found. But once you picked up your favourite, there weren’t many reasons to switch to anything else (except if you ran out of energy/ammo). In Overload, do you think there’ll be an incentive to switch things up every once and a while?

Second, what are your thoughts on player deaths/respawning? Descent straddled a weird line between using lives and saving/loading. I personally found myself compulsively saving and reloading a lot more than I like to admit.

Weapons: I want each weapon to have a purpose, and to be the best choice for certain situations. We can’t stop players from having favorites, but we can make it advantageous to switch weapons. At the same time, we’ll be having an upgrade system so players can adapt their ship/weapons to suit their play style. That may exacerbate the problem to some extent, but it may also encourage you to try a different weapon after you upgrade it. I like how Bloodborne gates weapon upgrades, though we won’t have that level of weapon customization.

Death: Anytime you have quick save/reload, you’re going to have that dilemma. It’s a matter of convenience, but that convenience is in contrast to tension and fair difficulty. We’ve discussed how we’re going to handle death/respawning/checkpoints/etc, but right now we don’t have a definite plan. If we decide we want shorter (but more numerous) levels, reducing the ability to save makes sense. I tend to like Save Points (like in a Metroidvania) where you manually save in a longer level, but I know that can lead to exploit/edge case issues too.

Luke

PS. I’ll try to get to more of these questions tomorrow (these are great to discuss). But I need a short break before bed…

SiriusSirius
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 9
    Replies: 406

Metroid-style saving sounds pretty interesting to me. You don’t have to mess around with lives, game over screens, etc – but if your progress is erased each time you die, you can’t just kamikaze things to death. And since there are limited, predetermined save points, you don’t need to design the level to be savescummed. Solves a lot of problems.

Next Unread Topic:
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 54 total)

Forums are currently locked.

Previous Topic: Welcome! Next Topic: Descent AMA Monday 2/15 at 1pm ET