The discussion has moved over to Discord

Home Forums Overload Development Development questions

RSS Feed
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 54 total)
  • Author
    MAKAsaurusFLEX
    Participant
    Topics: 0
    Replies: 21

Cool. I never really got to play D3.

Luke Schneider
    Overload Team
    Topics: 10
    Replies: 115

Descent and 6DoF shooters in general have always been a niche market. Folks have been playing Descent for over 10 years, but that was a small and very dedicated group of people. I know you guys are releasing to Xbox One and PS4 as well, so have you considered how you’ll sell Overload to a modern crowd of gamers whose interests lie mainly with infantry based FPSes?

I think 6-DOF games fell out of favor because joysticks went out of favor, and there was no great way to control them on console. The mouse controls in Descent didn’t work great either, so mouse+KB players didn’t thrive.

We’ve put a lot of effort into making the controls in Overload work great regardless of what you use, so I think that’s the first step. The second is making the difficulty level appropriate. That means having lots of them, more or less, since the skill levels will vary so widely.

It’s hard to put into words what makes a 6-DOF shooter so special, so we need to get the game into people’s hands so they can try it out. It’s not a big jump to go from an FPS to 6-DOF controls, so it’s not really a matter of gaming skill.

It’s certainly a risk to make a 6-DOF shooter. But if you look at what 6-DOF shooters have done since D1, they’ve only gotten progressively more hardcore (ignoring D2’s Trainee difficulty being easier stats-wise). Sublevel Zero is pretty hardcore, so is D:U. Geocore, Strike Vector, Sol Contingency, the list goes on. All of those games require some pretty hardcore skills (and a PC) to enjoy. We’re obviously going to make the game enjoyable by hardcore players as well, but making it enjoyable by a wider range of players is part of what makes Overload stand out from other 6-DOF games.

Luke

kudos2n
    Kickstarter Backer
    Replies: 5

Awesome, thanks for the detailed reply, Luke! I like the sound of all of that!

The BioShock games did the same sort of respawning thing as Descent, and I wasn’t a huge fan of it there either. It felt like failure and most of the time I just wanted a fresh checkpoint to try again.

You could be on to something there with the Metroid save points! Dead Space 1 & 2 did a combo of save stations and checkpoints. Of course, Descent and Overload are not as linear and scripted as those games.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 3 months ago by kudos2n.
    parriccparricc
    Kickstarter Backer
    Replies: 3

Wow. I feel like everything in my life has been on pause for the last 16 years waiting for this moment to occur. Thank you so much for taking the risk to go forward with this! 😀

My question is in regards to the music for Overload. To this day, Descent 1 and 2 have some of the best MIDI music ever written. Not only did they push the Yamaha OPL3 to the limit, but they also rocked other FM synthesizers as well as still managing to sound equally epic on the Roland MT-32 wavetables that are now included as a standard SoundFont for Windows-based systems. Can we expect Overload to come with a MIDI music option in addition to Red Book audio?

Luke Schneider
    Overload Team

Can we expect Overload to come with a MIDI music option in addition to Red Book audio?

I definitely wouldn’t expect it. However, I wouldn’t rule out someone (us, others) making MIDI remixes of the tracks in Overload.

And now that I think about it, that might be a cool way to create some of the music in Overload. Dan Wentz was a master of awesome MIDI music, and Allister Brimble’s work interpreting D1 MIDI songs to redbook audio was epic. I will bring up the idea of doing a few tracks that way (both guys are lined up to do some music/sound FX for Overload).

Luke

Dacien
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 8
    Replies: 106

Hey Matt! I’m very excited about this kickstarter. One question I had is if Overload will support SLI (please say yes).

I’d also like to add that I think it’s awesome that the lead singer of Korn also created Descent. (I kid!)

DarkhorseDarkhorse
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 2
    Replies: 127

That would require different co-op design however. Repairing dead ally player ships and no respawn + progress reset until a full wipe perhaps.

thrustplus
    Participant
    Replies: 1

Something I liked in Descent3 was that the environments had personality and felt more like distinct places. Will you develop a sense of real locations in the levels? I enjoyed exploring the varied and detailed worlds.

D3 had a cheat where you could see the ship, It didn’t feel completely worked out, but it was pretty neat. Any thoughts of a chase view in overload?

Descent 3 Mercenary soundtrack was my favorite. I still play the music often. Is there any chance Autopilot will be contributing something new?

Luke Schneider
    Overload Team

Something I liked in Descent3 was that the environments had personality and felt more like distinct places. Will you develop a sense of real locations in the levels? I enjoyed exploring the varied and detailed worlds.

D3 had a cheat where you could see the ship, It didn’t feel completely worked out, but it was pretty neat. Any thoughts of a chase view in overload?

Descent 3 Mercenary soundtrack was my favorite. I still play the music often. Is there any chance Autopilot will be contributing something new?
    Location: Yeah, we’re gonna try to have some sense of place/location in Overload, definitely moreso than D1/D2. Our first priority is creating levels that play well, but Chris has been great at pushing to have more personality and purpose to each area. We won’t be going too far with that (no elaborate machines with moving parts), but each level will have a theme that it’s shooting for.

3rd-person cam: Possibly as a cheat code, unlikely as a fully-developed feature.

Autopilot: We’ve talked to Jerry and it’s highly likely he’ll contribute at least one song.

Hunter
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 6
    Replies: 69

You’ve mentioned that there will be no outdoor areas (like the Fusion engine from D3), but will the engine/game support such an add-on in the future, or the abiltiy to create a space environment like FreeSpace? Ofcourse, I’m asking this because I created a space mod in Descent 3 just over 10 years ago even though the game wasn’t designed for it 🙂 ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dSqqrUoezZE )

lukeman3000
    Kickstarter Backer
    Replies: 21

Personally, I hate the Bioshock save system in which enemies remain with the damage you have previously dealt them and dead enemies do not respawn.

Interestingly enough, I consider myself a “hardcore” gamer and love masochistic games such as Mega Man and the like (which don’t allow manual saving), but I’ve never felt disdain towards games with manual saving (like Descent or Half-Life for example). In fact, to some degree I enjoy having the ability to manually save because it lets me replay parts of a level over and over again and try different things.

Then again, I also enjoy the challenge of not being able to do that. Perhaps if manual saving is to exist, there could be some incentive for finishing a level without utilizing it. If nothing else but a rank that you receive. Perhaps some kind of unlock. Or of course Steam Achievements.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 3 months ago by lukeman3000.
    DarkhorseDarkhorse
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 2
    Replies: 127

Are there any things you’d look at in recent games regarding replayability options? In the days of D1, all you could do is play on the next higher difficulty level. These days an achievement system seems to be a bare minimum, and a lot of shooter titles have borrowed elements that used to be in the domain of RPGs – player progression systems and so on.

Perhaps it’s too early to get an answer on what Overload is going to do specifically, but aside from that, what systems have the Overload crew seen in other games that they liked / thought was interesting / thought was really a bit mad?

serenehazmat
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 4
    Replies: 12

Nice timelapse dev video!

Don’t think C# existed the last time around. Hmmm, lots of code changes without (any?) single stepping.

Will the C# code run with mono on Linux or is the level editor just for Windows?

Matt Toschlog
    Overload Team
    Topics: 22
    Replies: 88

will the engine/game support such an add-on in the future, or the abiltiy to create a space environment like FreeSpace?

Hunter,

Your Basewars trailer is really cool! I’m impressed you did that in Descent 3.

We haven’t worked out the mod system yet, so I can’t say if you’d be able to do a space mod. But we’ll try to make it as powerful and flexible as we can.

– Matt

Luke Schneider
    Overload Team

I definitely want to do a lot with replayability. Here are some of the things we’re considering/planning (trying to list from most definite to least sure):

* Lots of secret areas and places to explore
    * At least 20 achievements in general
    * Multiple difficulty levels, including achievements for defeating harder ones
    * Upgrade paths for weapons that encourage multiple ways to play
    * Achievements for finding all the secrets/hidden areas, particularly of certain types
    * Speed-run challenges for each level/entire game
    * Bonus challenge modes where you try to complete a level with certain restrictions
    * Bonus 4-6 level missions (separate from main story)
    * New Game+ mode: Play through the game again starting with more weapons, more enemies
    * Reverse/upside-down levels where we take an existing level structure and make it much harder with a different progression

I feel like I’m missing something else, and this also doesn’t include just making the level editor fast and easy to use, so we and everyone else can make lots of levels for expansions/bonus missions/etc. The stuff towards the bottom would tend to be an update/expansion after release. Don’t know where the line will be drawn. Just too many dependencies right now.

Luke

Next Unread Topic:
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 54 total)

Forums are currently locked.

Previous Topic: Welcome! Next Topic: Descent AMA Monday 2/15 at 1pm ET