The discussion has moved over to Discord

Home Forums Overload Development Development questions

RSS Feed
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 54 total)
  • Author
    Dacien
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 8
    Replies: 106

* New Game+ mode: Play through the game again starting with more weapons, more enemies

Dude, that sounds amazing.

serenehazmat
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 4
    Replies: 12

One idea for replayability:

How about randomizing the robot starting positions (and types)? Every run is a surprise after a restore and/or respawn.

I suggest this with some reservation. In Descent, I made ample use of the knowledge I gained before dying, so not sure whether this is a net gain in all cases. It might be really tough. Maybe an option?

DarkhorseDarkhorse
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 2
    Replies: 127

The problem with randomizing spawn locations is you don’t get to set up ambushes and other planned encounters without putting a lot more work into your generation code. Although it might be easier than I think… if encounters act as objects in their own right, it can randomly choose which ones to invoke on each instantiation and generate the specific robot models semi-randomly.

MentalAbsenceMentalAbsence
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 1
    Replies: 9

Since you mentioned difficulty – will Overload feature limited lives, a la Descent 1 and 2? At least for me, having a finite supply of lives was one of the things that really created a sense of accomplishment in completing the game on the highest difficulty. Not that it wasn’t still frustrating to die in Descent 3, but it also never seemed like it mattered that much if I did. Thanks!

Cathy Schneider
    Overload Team
    Topics: 67
    Replies: 224

We’re still weighing our options on this. The upgrade system seems to work better with checkpoints instead of lives.

homeyduh
    Kickstarter Backer
    Replies: 67

So a couple a questions I’ve gotten from reading this thread.

So there will be upgrade pathz for weapons, but will it be branching with mutually exclusive upgrades or will you be able to potentially upgrade all weapons to have all upgrades?

And seeing talk of randomized enemy spawns makes me think of a rogue-like. Would it be possible somehow to have a Rogue mode with randomly generated levels and enemies in themes and a single life and no saves (except a quick save feature that deletes once it’s been loaded) ala SL0? Or could that be a stretch goal? Or not even lol

Quadruplesword
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 10
    Replies: 31

One idea for how to handle death is something I saw in a total conversion mod for Wolfenstein 3D that I haven’t really seen anywhere else. Instead of giving the player a limited pool of lives which are ultimately meaningless, you give the player a limited pool of quicksaves. You can still save anywhere you want, but you can only save so many times per level. It’s an interesting system that actually makes you think hard about where you want to place restore points, and it also discourages save scumming.

Dacien
    Kickstarter Backer

But I enjoy save scumming. I keep trying until I get the perfect performance.

serenehazmat
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 4
    Replies: 12

Yeah, but the dev team needs to be careful on making it too hard for those [of us] who are just getting a kick out of getting thru the puzzle and not trying to make any kind of competitive statement (at least not yet).

The setting could be an attribute associated with a ‘bring it on’ mode that may be selected in a 2nd or 3rd pass thru the game.

I think the single player campaign tends to attract more of those who like this kind of ‘serene’ gameplay vs the ‘warrior’ goal in multiplayer/deathmatch modes.

Cathy Schneider
    Overload Team

The quick save limit is definitely an option with good possibilities. The limit number would be adjusted with difficulty level so no one would feel pushed out by this. So many options to go through at this stage of development!

Cathy Schneider
    Overload Team

We’re not sure about randomized enemies yet. It could be something to add to higher difficulty levels. And nothing is really set on the upgrade system.

Quadruplesword
    Kickstarter Backer
    Replies: 31

Yeah, but the dev team needs to be careful on making it too hard for those [of us] who are just getting a kick out of getting thru the puzzle and not trying to make any kind of competitive statement (at least not yet).

The setting could be an attribute associated with a ‘bring it on’ mode that may be selected in a 2nd or 3rd pass thru the game.

I think the single player campaign tends to attract more of those who like this kind of ‘serene’ gameplay vs the ‘warrior’ goal in multiplayer/deathmatch modes.

The amount of quicksaves you get would probably be adjusted per difficulty. So Trainee mode will give you (I’m just throwing numbers out here) 10 quicksaves per level, while Hotshot might reduce that to 4 or 5.

Dacien
    Kickstarter Backer

I really don’t like the idea of save limitations. I mean, if people want to do it without save scumming, they can do that. If a person wants to retry a bot-heavy room over and over again until they destroy them all without using any missiles or taking any damage (personal, individually-set achievements), then they should be allowed to do that.

I just feel like save limitations are an artificial way to make the game “harder”.

Matt Toschlog
    Overload Team
    Topics: 22
    Replies: 88

How about randomizing the robot starting positions (and types)? Every run is a surprise after a restore and/or respawn.

I don’t think we’d want to do this for all robots — it would make it impossible to set up interesting encounters ahead of time — but it might work for some robots. We’ll have to try it out.

– Matt

A Future Pilot
    Kickstarter Backer
    Replies: 65

I really don’t like the idea of save limitations. I mean, if people want to do it without save scumming, they can do that. If a person wants to retry a bot-heavy room over and over again until they destroy them all without using any missiles or taking any damage (personal, individually-set achievements), then they should be allowed to do that.

I just feel like save limitations are an artificial way to make the game “harder”.

I definitely agree! I’ve never played a game and thought “Huh, I’m really glad I couldn’t save when I wanted to!” Save-scumming is a little like cheating to me. Not that save-scumming IS cheating, but that it works the same way. Let me explain:
    I play a game to have fun. At the core, that’s the purpose of the game. Sometimes it’s fun to have mega-wowie-zowie weapons and fly through levels like a god. Other times it’s fun to force myself to get through a level on insane even though I have to reload the same point 25 times to do it. The point is both, if overused, can make the game no longer fun (and in some people’s cases, if EVER used will make the game not fun), but it’s up to the individual player to choose. Preventing save-scumming is a little like the developer saying “Sure you can have fun playing our game, but only if you play it the way we want you to.”

Now having some kind of score penalty, or maybe just a record of number of saves, would be fine. (Like “High score: 25,000 with 17 saves). Or have achievements like “Beat the game on Hotshot with only 2 saves per level.” But please let the players save as often as they like. (This also gets into those moments when you have to suddenly leave the computer, and it’s horribly annoying to have to replay something just because you couldn’t save before you left).

On the topic of “things developers do to games that annoy me”…Would it be possible to make all cinematic skippable? Pretty please?

Next Unread Topic:
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 54 total)

Forums are currently locked.

Previous Topic: Welcome! Next Topic: Descent AMA Monday 2/15 at 1pm ET