The discussion has moved over to Discord

Home Forums The Archive Overload Early Release Version Comments and Feedback Size of tracking cone for smash attack

RSS Feed
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    rapturraptur
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 29
    Replies: 134

The smash attack is one of my favorite parts of playing Overload. I do have a suggestion. Sometimes, I’ll be shooting at a bot and then go to smash it, but my last shot or a creeper or something will kill it right before my smash. If another bot is on the very edge of the tracking cone, my ship then ends up smashing in a jarringly unexpected direction.

I’d prefer to have just a normal boost if my intended target is already dead by the time I try to smash. Since the game cannot read my mind for my intended target, how about just making the tracking cone narrower for smash attacks? That way, if I do smash in an unexpected direction, the direction I take is not that different from the direction I intended.

TwoCablesTwoCables
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 118
    Replies: 1474

I think the Smash only engages if the bot is within that tracking ‘cone’. I mean, right now the Smash Attack won’t engage if there’s nothing inside the tracking ‘cone’. All that happens is you just continue sitting there.

Prepare for Overload…

rapturraptur
    Kickstarter Backer

Right, the issue is when there are two bots inside the tracking cone — my target, which I’m softening up in preparation for the smash, is right in the center, and another bot is on the edge of the tracking cone. If I kill my target right before giving the smash command, or it dies from something else (like a creeper), the smash attack will lock onto the bot on the edge of the tracking cone. Instead of going straight forward, I careen off towards the bot on the edge. If the tracking cone were narrower, then my unexpected smash direction will be closer to the one I intended (because I wouldn’t smash at all if the bot were at a more extreme angle).

TwoCablesTwoCables
    Kickstarter Backer

Right, the issue is when there are two bots inside the tracking cone — my target, which I’m softening up in preparation for the smash, is right in the center, and another bot is on the edge of the tracking cone. If I kill my target right before giving the smash command, or it dies from something else (like a creeper), the smash attack will lock onto the bot on the edge of the tracking cone. Instead of going straight forward, I careen off towards the bot on the edge. If the tracking cone were narrower, then my unexpected smash direction will be closer to the one I intended.

No, if it were narrower in that example, then nothing would happen because the bot exploded *just* before you attempted to Smash. You would just be sitting there because there was nothing for the Smash Attack to lock onto resulting in the Smash Attack not even engaging. The same thing would happen that happens when you try to Smash with nothing in front of you, or if you try to Smash a bot but it’s too far away and out of range.

Prepare for Overload…

rapturraptur
    Kickstarter Backer

It would just be a normal boost (not a smash-speed boost) if there were nothing to lock onto.

–EDIT: for reference, I’m using the original primary fire + boost button combo for smash attacks. Typically I’m holding primary fire to soften up targets with cyclone or flak and then push boost while still firing to finish off the target faster. You’re right that if I were using a dedicated smash button then nothing would happen.

TwoCablesTwoCables
    Kickstarter Backer

I’d rather be flung to a different location than be a sitting duck.

Prepare for Overload…

ShroudeyeShroudeye
    Participant
    Topics: 12
    Replies: 84

My 2 cents about this feature:

I like the the smash mechanic pretty much. But I tend to dislike its tracking ability, at least its wide angle just like Raptur. In fact, I’d rather have the tracking cone disabled, or narrowed down to only include bots directly in front of me, so I can use the “smash” to “jump” away from a fight going bad.

The wide tracking cone puts me into disadvantage while doing so: Instead of fleeing away, I take a *very* sharp turn straight into a bot, or a group of bots. BAM, I lose my mobility, got disoriented, and taking hits from the surrounding bots.

DarkwingDivaDarkwingDiva
    Kickstarter Backer
    Replies: 346

Well in my opinion, the smash attack shouldn’t be set up as an “emergency” escape mechanic. The tracking cone should be there all the time, that’s the tradeoff for using the feature, you have no control over your ship. Otherwise, disable the smash attack and then you can use regular boost anytime in a fight to quickly get away. However, I do think that if you initiate the smash attack on a bot and it dies before you hit it, the smash attack should disable itself, instead of tracking a different bot that you were not intending to hit.

TwoCablesTwoCables
    Kickstarter Backer

My 2 cents about this feature:

I like the the smash mechanic pretty much. But I tend to dislike its tracking ability, at least its wide angle just like Raptur. In fact, I’d rather have the tracking cone disabled, or narrowed down to only include bots directly in front of me, so I can use the “smash” to “jump” away from a fight going bad.

The wide tracking cone puts me into disadvantage while doing so: Instead of fleeing away, I take a *very* sharp turn straight into a bot, or a group of bots. BAM, I lose my mobility, got disoriented, and taking hits from the surrounding bots.

The Smash Attack is an attack. Period. It’s not intended or designed to be used for anything else. If you’re trying to use it as a quick way to escape, then you’re just asking for the trouble that you’re describing here. So just use Boost instead. What did you do before we had the Smash Attack? Think about it. You used Boost to escape sticky situations. Right? So, quit trying to use the Smash Attack as a free quick boost out of a sticky situation because you’ll always have an extremely high risk of getting hurt or killed, it doesn’t matter how much you practice using Smash Attack in ways it was never intended to be used.

We really need someone from the team to join this discussion to explain why the Smash Attack causes your ship to be a homing projectile rather than a dumbfire projectile.

I think this homing ability needs to be changed as a Smash Attack Aim Assist in the Control Options. It should also have different settings like, Weak, Normal and Strong in addition to just Off. That way, if you turn it Off, then you will only get the Smash Attack to engage if you have perfect aim. That way, nothing will happen if your aim is slightly off. If it’s “Weak”, then you get a very narrow cone. “Normal” would be what we have now, and “Strong” would probably be even more aim assistance with the Smash Attack.

No matter how you look at it though, if you are trying to use the Smash Attack to accomplish something other than causing damage to a bot (or to disorient the bot), then you are seriously asking for trouble. So, quit doing it.

Prepare for Overload…

SiriusSirius
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 9
    Replies: 406

Umm… looking at this another way, isn’t an unaimed smash attack basically an afterburn anyway? I’m not seeing much additional speed when clicking primary fire…

TwoCablesTwoCables
    Kickstarter Backer

Umm… looking at this another way, isn’t an unaimed smash attack basically an afterburn anyway? I’m not seeing much additional speed when clicking primary fire…

No, because when you attempt to perform the Smash without a bot to hit, nothing happens. Try it sometime.

Or, try this: bind a key just for Smash and then press that key when no bots are around. You will see what happens.

Prepare for Overload…

Haunted ParraspHaunted Parrasp
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 31
    Replies: 428

Personally I agree with raptur in that predicting where I’m gonna be makes it easier to control a situation and use it to my advantage, and even *if* a smash attack does nothing I’m still going to keep moving and thinking and evading.
    However, a better solution to the predictability problem, as well as narrowing the cone, could be to have the tracking cone track the position on death of dead robots for half a second to a second after they die, and home in on that if there aren’t any not-blowed-up robots in the cone. That way it’ll always put you where you’re planning to be when you trigger it.

Ship’s cat, MPSV Iberia
    Check out his original music @ http://vertigofox.bandcamp.com/

TwoCablesTwoCables
    Kickstarter Backer

What I meant by “nothing happens” is, the Smash boost doesn’t happen when there’s no bot to Smash at the time you attempt to Smash. So, if you have a single key bound for Smash, then almost nothing happens at all. If you use one of the key combos, then yes of course you will still get some boost from Boost, but you will not get the huge Smash’s boost.

Prepare for Overload…

TwoCablesTwoCables
    Kickstarter Backer

Anyway, for the record, yes I would like Smash to be canceled if I try to Smash but then a bot dies immediately after I tried to execute the Smash.

I like your idea Splotchie: it would be nice if they could make it so that even if the bot dies just after you try to execute the Smash Attack, your ship still does precisely what it would have done if the bot hadn’t died. That way, you aren’t tossed into an unexpected location due to losing your target mid-Smash.

Prepare for Overload…

rapturraptur
    Kickstarter Backer

I think that’s the ideal solution TwoCables, I’m just worried that it will be hard to implement. How does the game know which bot we intended to smash? I proposed narrowing the tracking cone so that the game doesn’t have to guess about which bot we intended to smash.

Next Unread Topic:
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

Forums are currently locked.

Previous Topic: Build 18 unplayable Next Topic: Fatal bug (ish)