The discussion has moved over to Discord

RSS Feed
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    dues
    Participant
    Topics: 4
    Replies: 17

Hello friends. I was wondering if the slide got fixed, where on a joystick, the 4 buttons in the hat will give a diagonal. On the free version it didn’t work proper for a sidewinder prepro. Pressing a diagonal 2 buttons at once just cancelled each other out.
    I was about to buy the game on steam, but this is a deal breaker for me. I think I remember a fix using some gamepad emulator to fix this, but I can’t be bothered with that.
    Any chance the 8 directions work in the pay version?

Matt Toschlog
    Overload Team
    Topics: 22
    Replies: 88

dues,

What version of the Playable Teaser are you running? The current (2.0) version should support the SideWinder Precision Pro.

Is anyone else out there using this stick on the Early Access version?

Thanks,

– Matt

dues
    Participant

Yep, I’m running 2.0 build 13. It still cancels each other and there is no diagonal, only up, down, L, R.
    It may have something to do with not having a soundcard. I’m using the little dongle that converts the soundcard plug into a usb. I think since windows XP came out, there is auto recognition for all MS sticks and peripherals. I remember also with win 98 there was a CD that came with the stick to configure it properly. This is no longer available with newer versions of windows. I do remember having a time configuring the slide even back in the 90’s with D2. Also, since I started using the usb, the shift button at the bottom of the stick doesn’t work anymore. It’s not a broken button, since I tried it with 3 separate prepros.
    I do know that this stick has worked great with all versions of windows in D3. Plug and play usb.
    Just giving all the info I think may be relevant, although I’m no programmer.
    I’m gonna try to direct DL the teaser from this page since I’m running the steam version. I’m not sure if there’s a difference, but I do know the steam version of D3 is a little different/streamlined.

Thanks for the reply.
    Game feels great.

dues
    Participant

Hmm, looks like steam is the only place to get it.
    Ah well. I’ll keep dinkin around till I figure it out.

Matt Toschlog
    Overload Team
    Topics: 22
    Replies: 88

dues,

So you have an old stick with a gameport connector? And you’re using an adapter to get it to work? If that’s the case then it could be a little tricky.

When you go to the controller remapping screen, what name shows up for the controller? And when you map one of the hat directions (left, right, up, or down) what name shows up?

Thanks,

– Matt

dues
    Participant

slide
    Hopefully that pic will work.
    If not, each hat bind says “J1: Hat 0 Left” The rest say the same but right, up, down.
    It also does say at the top left it recognizes the sidewinder.

Thanks for your help.

dues
    Participant
    dues
    Participant

Also, the J2 unknown is a logi G-13 gamepad for my left hand. I discoed it and tried again. same results even after restarting PC.

YoshimitsuYoshimitsu
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 57
    Replies: 421

It may not be relevant to the precision pro but I use a Sidewinder 3D Pro. With the 3D Pro a normal gameport to USB adapter doesn’t work right. The joystick is too advanced and it needs a special custom adapter for all of its functions to be available. This special adapter (which is also meant for the Precision Pro) can be built with readily available parts for $40-$50 USD. Instructions are available here
    This still might not be the problem but I think it’s worth mentioning.

dues
    Participant

Thanks Yoshi. No, you’re probably right. Ever since I started using this adapter thing it’s been a problem, except in D3.
    Funny though how you said the stick was “too advanced.” The tech is 20+ years old, but I guess it cant squeeze everything into the USB adapter.
    For the price to build that contraption I bet I could just buy a soundcard and it might work. It’s a gamble on troubleshooting though, and I’ll probably pass ATM. I’m waiting for multiplayer anyway.

YoshimitsuYoshimitsu
    Kickstarter Backer

Actually the problem these sticks have with typical gameport to USB adapters is that the adapters can’t use the gameport input to its maximum ability. USB is far more powerful but the commercial adapters aren’t able to deal with all the inputs from the stick on the gameport end. The custom adapter has a processor on it that you load firmware onto which acts like true plug-and-play software for these SPECIFIC joysticks on newer windows systems.

I’m still not certain that this is causing the issue with your diagonal hat directions though. I’ll be home tomorrow evening so I can test my setup then. I don’t actually use the hat for sliding myself so I have never tried the diagonals on my hat. I know at least one other player has a setup like mine and he had a similar problem to you. That was many many versions ago though so it may have been fixed since then. I believe his solution was to use joytokey or autohotkey to make the game think that his hat inputs were arrow keys on the keyboard. I’m sure that would work for you (and it’s free) but it’s a bit of a hassle. Old Joysticks are like that.

Tomorrow I’ll map sliding to the hat on my fully adapted 3D Pro and see if diagonals work. If it fails for me then we’ll know that the custom adapter won’t help with this. If there’s anyone out there using a Precision Pro with the Grendel adapter it would also be great to get their input.

Sergeant ThorneSergeant Thorne
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 12
    Replies: 138

Ok, so if I remember correctly the problem arises because the mapping in the game is 4-way for the hat, but some hats treat the diagonal as an additional command, rather than a combination of the horizontal/vertical.

Below is an executable (.exe) form of an AutoHotKeys script that maps the hat to the arrow keys on the keyboard, and so causes the angles to be combinations of those arrow keys. Just run it before you launch the game, map your sliding to the arrow keys, and use the key combination Alt-x to close it when you’re done playing.

http://www.descentuniverse.com/files/Sidewinder_Hat_to_Keys.zip

dues
    Participant

SOLVED!
    Thanks for the help guys.
    Yep, the re-mapper script did it. Works like a charm. Thanks Thorne. Say hello to your sister for me.

YoshimitsuYoshimitsu
    Kickstarter Backer

I’m delighted that Dues has a workaround and can enjoy the game but I think the root of this problem needs to actually be solved in Overload. A lot of people are going to play using joysticks and not all of them will think to come here and look for a fan-made patch to restore basic functionality. I can imagine many players giving up in annoyance and getting a Steam refund.

Now I just did a quick test to see what my sticks do and the result was really interesting.

1) Right hand stick: Microsoft Sidewinder 3D Pro (1996) connected via USB using one of the custom Grendel adapters.
    – Stick behaves perfectly. I bound slide up/down/left/right to the hat and was able to slide in any direction including diagonals.
    -I tried flipping the emulator switch on the base of the stick and other than a short pause in the game recognizing it, there was no effect on the joystick’s behavior.

2) Left hand stick: Saitek Cyborg Graphite (2004)
    – Stick has the same problem as Dues’ Precision Pro. I bound slide up/down/left/right to the hat and every time I pressed a diagonal direction the ship stopped moving entirely.
    – Did NOT try Thorne’s script because I personally don’t use hats for sliding anyway. If the developers would like me to try the script I’m happy to.

-Edit: I tried Thorne’s script out of curiosity and got nothing. It failed to remap any of my inputs from either stick so the behavior in-game was totally unchanged. Again, this is not a problem for me. I already have my controls working exactly the way I want with no modifications necessary, so this is all for the purpose of giving Revival more information.

dues
    Participant

That’s very kind of you Yoshimitsu. Reading your description leads me to believe you may have done it incorrectly. You have to click on the green H before starting the game. Once in, you have to remove all binds to the joystick slide. Then you have to bind your KB with the arrow keys to the respective slides. But, you probably did this and I’m just reading your post wrong.
    I’m thankful for the quick fix, but you’re right. Many ppl may never get this info and just give up. But I wonder how many ppl will actually fly with a stick. It seems to be a dying input means. I’ve noticed that the best pilots use KB/mouse. It’s just a more precise method. It’s the same in Warthunder too, which is a shame for that game. Makes me think, in the future sticks will be replaced by a mouse on real airplanes. Wouldn’t that be odd?
    And then there’s the good ol clunky gamepad, which will probably be the most used input device. I imagine consoles will be the money maker for this game, this time around. I learned about this game probably in ’95. Bought it for the original PlayStation when I was a “dirty console peasant,” lol jk. The gamepad was a viable controller, until I switched to PC and stick.
    I’m actually contemplating learning KB/mouse to be more competitive, but I just like the feel of the stick too much.

Next Unread Topic:
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

Forums are currently locked.

Previous Topic: slide 8 Next Topic: Titan 6 feedback