The discussion has moved over to Discord

Home Forums Classic 6DOF Games So I finally played Descent SP again…

RSS Feed
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    homeyduh
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 8
    Replies: 67

After all this Overload hype, I got back into playing Descent 1 and 2 SP…and my entire play style has changed after playing so much Overload…instead of being cautious when entering rooms, I zoom in bobbing and weaving all over the place dodging shots and everything and…it feels almost exactly the same! I must say that the feel from D1/D2 to Overload is almost identical. Not just the controls and physics, but the bot AI, which to me, is the coolest thing ever! Love you guys! <3

CDN_MerlinCDN_Merlin
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 15
    Replies: 243

I never stopped playing D2 single player. It’s awesome. I even have the D1 levels ported to D2

homeyduh
    Kickstarter Backer

I never stopped either, except to overload on Overload. Before the teaser, I was playing through D2 again on Insane, but today when I loaded my save from before, I find it a tad difficult to enjoy as I really wanted to play it with the same physics of Overload. The turn speed feels too slow for me etc. I also found myself playing it totally differently. Not bad at all. Just means that Overload has won my heart :’)

hypersonic
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 18
    Replies: 220

Pitch speed is horrendously slow in D1/D2, something like 6 seconds/rev compared to 3.5 seconds/rev in Overload. Yaw&Roll speed is a tad faster, 3 sec/rev in D1/2, 2 sec/rev in Overload. It would be nice if pitch&yaw would be the same speed though.

CDN_MerlinCDN_Merlin
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 15
    Replies: 243

This game is still fresh. I’m sure the final game will be more polished

homeyduh
    Kickstarter Backer

Of course, but it’s already so good looking. I don’t have too much I’d like to change other than a few things. I basically have full faith in overload as the future and true successor of the Descent we all know and love.

SiriusSirius
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 9
    Replies: 406

The robot AI in Overload in challenge mode is quite a bit smarter, I would say; the robots are less predictable in combat (they will sometimes try to push into you which makes it harder to evade), and if they lose track of you, they’ll sweep the mine to find you again.

For the most part, they do feel like D1/D2 robots, though, yes… but if you treat them exactly the same way, you’ll get some nasty surprises.

hypersonic
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 18
    Replies: 220

I suppose they had to limit the smartness of AI since the computers of the day had a hard enough time just dealing with the graphics. Also it makes it possible to fight hordes of robots if they’re not too bright as too many smart robots could make it almost impossible to pass! Unless they had weak weapons, were slow, and/or had low HP.

So it’s like the instances of World of Warcraft where once an enemy spots you they’ll follow you until they or you are dead, you vanish/feign, or you leave the instance. Though outside of instances they’ll give up chase after awhile, like in D1/D2.

Entroper
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 4
    Replies: 9

I’ve been playing through D1 on Rookie this week. Up to level 9.

It seems like I’m having an easy time of it most of the time, but anywhere there are drillers, I get completely rocked. I died once in level 6 and again in level 8, both due to drillers just wearing me down. I don’t know what to do against these guys, they seem to damage you before you can possibly react to their presence.

Still having a good time, though. I don’t think I made it much past level 12 without cheating when I was a kid, hopefully I can do better now. 🙂

Next Unread Topic:
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

Forums are currently locked.

Previous Topic: Chat Next Topic: A Visual History, From Descent To Overload