The discussion has moved over to Discord

Home Forums Other Games Sol Contingency Proving Grounds April 15th!

RSS Feed

This topic contains 12 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by DarkwingDiva DarkwingDiva 29 Jun 2017 @ 8:28pm.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    StatiC
    StatiC
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 6
    Replies: 89

I just stumbled onto the Sol Contingency forums and found out that the developers of Sol Contingency are releasing Sol Contingency Proving Grounds on April 15th! I am excited :). The videos that I were posted during the beta several months ago on youtube look good so I can’t wait to try it out.

http://forum.sol-contingency.com/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=756

I am so glad 6DoF games are coming back.

Yoshimitsu
    Yoshimitsu
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 57
    Replies: 421

Beat me to it! I was just going to put up a post about SolC… 😉

I was lucky enough to fly in Sol Contingency’s closed beta this winter and I’ve got to say that it’s probably my favorite multiplayer experience to date in any game. It’s very fast paced and the flight feels great.

Fair warning: The Proving Grounds release that is coming out on Friday will have somewhat limited content.
    -3 maps
    -2 functionally identical ships
    -5 primary weapons
    -4 secondary weapons
    -2 game modes, Anarchy and Team Anarchy
    That said, everything works wonderfully together (I love that Vertigo map) and with their recent announcement the team have expressed interest in further supporting this release with more content down the road.

I myself am very happy with what we will be getting and I’m hoping that they are swamped with downloads on Friday so that we can all get in on the action!

Sirius
    Sirius
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 9
    Replies: 406

I’m still a little concerned about the visual overload – it was legitimately hard to see what was going on – but will try it anyway, it could have come a long way 🙂

Yoshimitsu
    Yoshimitsu
    Kickstarter Backer

I’ll be curious to hear your opinion Sirius. Throughout the Beta process I had no trouble with visibility beyond what was intentionally added (smoking dumbfire missiles and the like). I was just reading their new manual and in the troubleshooting section I found something that might help you:

If you have a low-end / non-gaming video chipset, then you can try opening the console (press ~ or ö), typing SCALE LOWEND and hitting Return (close the console with ESC). This puts the engine in “retro mode” and turns off ALL eye
    candy. It looks like Unreal Engine 2 now, but it does help performance! (This setting will not be saved when you exit the game and needs to be typed in after
    every launch.)

I have never tried this myself so I cant say what it looks like but it might give you an experience more to your taste.

StatiC
    StatiC
    Kickstarter Backer

There is a note in the manual for the upcoming Sol Contingency Proving Grounds that mentions Xinput USB devices are only supported and only 1 device is supported. DirectPlay USB devices are not supported from what I read. I suspect that will give me problems. While I read that there is a third party app called XOutput which can be a bridge API to translate DirectInput to Xinput, I have a feeling that might be a problem as I use CH Manager to combine axis and such on my joysticks and they might conflict or something. I will find out Friday I guess. I am not looking forward to running a translation program to get my joysticks working but I will do it if it plays decent. It definitely makes me appreciate that d1x, d2x, Overload, Geocore, etc work great with varied input devices.

http://sol-contingency.com/docs/Proving_Grounds_Manual_1.0.pdf

MarleyMoo
    MarleyMoo
    Participant
    Topics: 0
    Replies: 16

I just tried it. Xinput is problematic because the game doesn’t recognize the twist handle axis on my TM T16000. I need to come back to it later…

Sirius
    Sirius
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 9
    Replies: 406

Yeah, turning effects down (probably mainly bloom combined with higher FPS from leaving out the other stuff) helped quite a lot. I’m still not a fan of the level design – far too much obstacle-dodging, which is not really a strength of 6DOF. If they used a more Overload-like approach to the levels (not so much the decal system, just the idea that the level “segments” are a space to fly in, rather than a space to fill with stuff), it would be a much better game.

But it could be fun. Netcode seemed to work well tonight. I don’t know whether the weapons are great, but they aren’t terrible (with the possible exception of dispersion; couldn’t figure that one out), and once I could see what I was doing the dogfighting strategies came right back too.

Edit: Oh. One other thing. Respawning shield pickups is really bad for parity. When I was playing 1v1, I pretty much never died because I just kept picking up more shields.

pipsqueak
    pipsqueak
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 0
    Replies: 10

I am so glad 6DoF games are coming back.

Yup, its looking like a Descent World once again.

New York City Rocks! Always has, Always will.

Yoshimitsu
    Yoshimitsu
    Kickstarter Backer

I put together a guide last night to getting non-supported controllers working in SolC.
    It’s a bit of a process but well worth it as far as I’m concerned! There have been lots of people playing over the last couple of days and the action is frantic and satisfying!

StatiC
    StatiC
    Kickstarter Backer

I ended up getting all the Axis and buttons working that I needed using x360ce. Once I understood how it worked it was not difficult. Once setup you don’t have to run the utility for it to work. You just run the game after setup. You plop the exe in the binary directory first where the game .exe is located and after running and configuring it, a .dll that gets created and stored in the game .exe directory that gets loaded by the game which intercepts DirectInput and translates it to Xinput.

Zeether
    Zeether
    Participant
    Topics: 3
    Replies: 12

So I heard apparently that development on this stopped? One of the devs posted on their Facebook saying that they have no further plans for the assets or something like that.

CDN_Merlin
    CDN_Merlin
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 15
    Replies: 243

It never worked with my 3d Pro so I gave up on it.

DarkwingDiva
    DarkwingDiva
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 29
    Replies: 346

If that’s true, I’m not surprised. Last I heard they were basically recreating it in UE4 (the proving grounds was still using UE3). Wouldn’t be surprised if they felt it was too much. A shame though, since their proving grounds demo was pretty neat. Heads and shoulders above anything D:U is trying to do. Not sure I’m a fan of the cel shading direction they seemed to want to take Sol: Contingency though.

Next Unread Topic:
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

Forums are currently locked.

Previous Topic: There's still sound when sound is turned off Next Topic: Prepare for Descent