The discussion has moved over to Discord

Home Forums Overload Development Some petty criticism

RSS Feed

This topic contains 8 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  heftig 14 Jul 2018 @ 7:03am.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    berg
    berg
    Participant
    Topics: 1
    Replies: 2

I’m currently working my way through the singleplayer campaign. Overall I am thoroughly enjoying it; I think it’s definitely better than the original Descent games and possibly now my favorite game of all time. The mechanics are satisfying and bring back the feeling I remember from playing Descent as a little kid. I am really grateful to the developers for making it happen. That said, a few things I don’t like:

– Some of the voice acting is good, but much of it is not. There are some rather poor fake accents and a lot of unnatural-sounding delivery.

– The headlight uses a completely unfeasible amount of energy. There is no reason a power supply that is able to sustain such powerful energy weapons should be drained so quickly by a tiny lamp.

– The sound used for missile impacts is weak and unsatisfying; it’s kind of a dull thump, more like a drum than an explosion. I think it should have a meatier sound.

– The hologuide does not understand the concept of force fields and will raise an ungodly racket by smashing against them like a mad fool if they happen to be blocking its path.

– Certain weapon sounds become annoying because the same sample is repeated quickly many times in a row. This includes the thunderbolt, which repeats a very short loop when it is at maximum charge. It would be cool if there were a few subtle variations of the most common sounds, that could be played randomly instead of repeating the same one.

– Backface culling on some pieces of debris causes them to look strange at certain angles. Really subtle detail but detracts slightly from the sense of polish.

– For me, the graphics settings (except for screen space reflection) do not have a substantial effect on performance. I am running the game on modest hardware and need to play in 1280*600 resolution in order to achieve a consistent 60fps. 1080p is just as unplayable at the lowest settings as at the highest. I am using ReShade for post-processing and the statistics panel shows that the game frequently draws well over a million vertices. It might help if there were an option to use less detailed meshes.

Minor complaints notwithstanding, I am glad to give the game a 5 star review on Steam.

I will follow up later if I can think of anything else.

Kryyss
    Kryyss
    Participant
    Topics: 10
    Replies: 29

In all fairness, using Reshade is going to hurt your performance in some way due to how it works. Also, as compatible as it is the cost of that is a loss of optimisation so you may find that running Overload without Reshade improves performance.

With regards to the flashlight. There is an upgrade which reduces boost, flares and flashlight energy costs to zero. I’d highly recommend it before the later levels since they have an annoyingly large number of dark areas.

TwoCables
    TwoCables
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 118
    Replies: 1474

The voice acting is extremely good considering the size of this team and their budget, and the fact that they’re an independent team. Play FreeSpace 1 to get a deeper appreciation of how good the voice acting is in Overload. Most of it in FreeSpace 1 is terrible! You might be too accustomed to games from game studios who have a huge budget and can hire any actor they want.

As Kryyss said, you can get an Upgrade (for just 3 upgrade points) called “Accessory Energy” that makes the headlight use no energy (as well as Boost and Flares). Even so, the amount of energy used for the headlight isn’t all that much more than it is in Descent. Sure, it’s more, but that’s probably because you can just get the Accessory Energy upgrade.

The sounds used for missile impacts will probably never change. I and others have given the team our thoughts on these sounds over the past ~2 years (since February 2016), and these ‘dull thump’ sounds remain unchanged. Dan Wentz, the sound designer, explained to me personally that it’s for the sake of the overall mix. In a game like this, dozens of explosions can be happening simultaneously, so he had to be very careful.

Once again as Kryyss said, your performance is bad due to using ReShade. I’m *not* using ReShade, and I’m getting about 120-140 FPS with a nice ~10 ms frametime most of the time, and I have all of the in-game graphics settings set as high as they go (but yes, I don’t have Screen-Space Reflections on), and my resolution is at 1920×1080. My system consists of the following CPU, memory, and GPU:

-i5-2500K at 4.5 GHz
    -8 GB DD3-1866 of the following G.SKILL RipjawsX memory: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231455
    -GTX 780 overclocked moderately (not too much for air cooling)

Again, I haven’t made any compromises on any of the in-game graphics settings except for Screen-Space Reflections, and I get a consistent 120-140 FPS at all times.

Prepare for Overload…

berg
    berg
    Participant
    Topics: 1
    Replies: 2

The voice acting is extremely good considering the size of this team and their budget, and the fact that they’re an independent team. Play FreeSpace 1 to get a deeper appreciation of how good the voice acting is in Overload. Most of it in FreeSpace 1 is terrible! You might be too accustomed to games from game studios who have a huge budget and can hire any actor they want.

That is true. I’m actually not familiar with voice acting in other games; I just have an intuitive sense of how people are supposed to sound. I know good acting is difficult, so I don’t really mind.

As Kryyss said, you can get an Upgrade (for just 3 upgrade points) called “Accessory Energy” that makes the headlight use no energy (as well as Boost and Flares). Even so, the amount of energy used for the headlight isn’t all that much more than it is in Descent. Sure, it’s more, but that’s probably because you can just get the Accessory Energy upgrade.

I got the upgrade, but I’m still curious about what kind of headlight would draw so much power.

The sounds used for missile impacts will probably never change. I and others have given the team our thoughts on these sounds over the past ~2 years (since February 2016), and these ‘dull thump’ sounds remain unchanged. Dan Wentz, the sound designer, explained to me personally that it’s for the sake of the overall mix. In a game like this, dozens of explosions can be happening simultaneously, so he had to be very careful.

That actually makes a lot of sense. I didn’t think of that, but I can imagine why it would cause problems if the sounds were too detailed.

Once again as Kryyss said, your performance is bad due to using ReShade. I’m *not* using ReShade, and I’m getting about 120-140 FPS with a nice ~10 ms frametime most of the time, and I have all of the in-game graphics settings set as high as they go (but yes, I don’t have Screen-Space Reflections on), and my resolution is at 1920×1080. My system consists of the following CPU, memory, and GPU:

-i5-2500K at 4.5 GHz
    -8 GB DD3-1866 of the following G.SKILL RipjawsX memory: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231455
    -GTX 780 overclocked moderately (not too much for air cooling)

Again, I haven’t made any compromises on any of the in-game graphics settings except for Screen-Space Reflections, and I get a consistent 120-140 FPS at all times.

ReShade adds roughly 1ms to the frame time, which is a completely invisible cost. My hardware really is modest — I’m running Overload on a Dell Precision 5510 laptop with the following specs:

– i7-6820HQ at 2.70GHz
    – 16GB RAM
    – NVidia Quadro M1000M

1280×600 resolution averages 60fps and still looks beautiful in my opinion. Still, it would be nice to be able to play at higher resolutions. I’m sure there are people with worse hardware than mine who would also benefit from more options for improving performance.

Danimal
    Danimal
    Overload Team
    Topics: 0
    Replies: 33

… Play FreeSpace 1 to get a deeper appreciation of how good the voice acting is in Overload. Most of it in FreeSpace 1 is terrible!

I don’t know what you’re talking about!

TwoCables
    TwoCables
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 118
    Replies: 1474

… Play FreeSpace 1 to get a deeper appreciation of how good the voice acting is in Overload. Most of it in FreeSpace 1 is terrible!

I don’t know what you’re talking about!

<iframe scrolling=”no” src=”https://w.soundcloud.com/player/?visual=true&url=https%3A%2F%2Fapi.soundcloud.com%2Ftracks%2F270387021&show_artwork=true&maxwidth=500&maxheight=750&dnt=1″ frameborder=”no” width=”500″ height=”400″></iframe>

lol

I guess what made me cringe was the voice acting on the briefings. All the voice acting was far better in FreeSpace 2.

Prepare for Overload…

Haunted Parrasp
    Haunted Parrasp
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 31
    Replies: 428

Ooooh, if you think this acting is bad just wait till you hear mine…
    😀 😀

Ship’s cat, MPSV Iberia
    Check out his original music @ http://vertigofox.bandcamp.com/

Kryyss
    Kryyss
    Participant
    Topics: 10
    Replies: 29

– i7-6820HQ at 2.70GHz
    – 16GB RAM
    – NVidia Quadro M1000M

I wouldn’t call that modest, I would call it dated. The youngest part of your machine is the CPU and even that is from 2015.

You’re playing the game on a laptop and that is an instant handicap because mobile chipsets are optimized for battery life above all else while desktop CPUs are all about the performance. On 3DMark06 the Intel Core i7-6820HQ rolls in at 90th place against other mobile CPUs in benchmark tests. The NVidia Quadro M1000M is from 2013 which doesn’t help matters. It’s using DDR3 memory rather than specialized GDDR memory which is in modern graphics cards so there is another significant handicap. Here’s a link to a simple performance comparison between the popular budget option for desktop builds – the GTX 1050:
    http://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-Quadro-1000M-vs-Nvidia-GTX-1050/m7836vs3650

You’re seeing that right, the 1050 is averaging 800% times faster during rendering tests than what you have at the moment.

Changing the settings is having no effect because your rig is struggling to keep up with simply running the game which is why the change in resolution is your only option. It’s time to start to saving for a replacement.

heftig
    Participant
    Topics: 0
    Replies: 1

The NVidia Quadro M1000M is from 2013 which doesn’t help matters. It’s using DDR3 memory rather than specialized GDDR memory which is in modern graphics cards so there is another significant handicap. Here’s a link to a simple performance comparison between the popular budget option for desktop builds – the GTX 1050:
    http://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-Quadro-1000M-vs-Nvidia-GTX-1050/m7836vs3650

You’re seeing that right, the 1050 is averaging 800% times faster during rendering tests than what you have at the moment.

You picked the wrong card. This is the right comparison:

http://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-Quadro-M1000M-vs-Nvidia-GTX-1050/m41995vs3650

But yeah, the M1000M is a budget mobile workstation GPU that (I suspect) just doesn’t have enough cache or memory bandwidth for the G-buffer at large resolutions.

Next Unread Topic:
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

Forums are currently locked.

Previous Topic: OLE Bugs and Feedback Next Topic: Screen-Space Reflections are an abomination!