The discussion has moved over to Discord

RSS Feed
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 35 total)
  • Author
    sdfgeoffsdfgeoff
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 2
    Replies: 14

I’m sdfgeoff. You probably don’t know me. I was born the year Descent came out (just to make some of you feel old)

sLLiKsLLiK
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 1
    Replies: 24

Hell, at least half of us know each other (still), the other half know each other, another 5+ splinter cells know each other really well, and so on. The Kali crew, the Khan crew, the ladder crawlers, the LANfesters, and the list goes on.

And the fact that so many of them are still around is mind-boggling. Lothar, Drakona, Grendel, Merlin, Ferno… I’m not even gonna try typing them all out. The list would be prohibitively extensive (but awesome).

CDN_MerlinCDN_Merlin
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 15
    Replies: 243

Hiya Sllik. Yeah, I think we’ve been a close knit community since day 1.

D2DiscipleD2Disciple
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 18
    Replies: 81

D2Disciple here, formerly D2Junkie from the GameSpy networks PlanetDescent forums. Been a part of the online community (primarily D3) since the mid-2000s, but have been playing Descent since I could wrap my grubby little 6-year-old fingers around a joystick back in 1995. Even kept an old 486SX2 PC with MSDOS and Windows 3.1 running well into the 2000s so I could blast bots away in glorious 320×240, the way the heavens intended πŸ™‚

Xeme
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 3
    Replies: 48

I’m Xeme… I was 11 when I first played Descent, in fact, “Xeme” was the name I came up with since a “pilot name” was required; I just looked in an unabridged dictionary under “X” since that was the coolest letter in the alphabet at the time.

I never played Descent online, so, I do not know most of you. Actually, have not played too much Descent (compared to everyone else)… it is just one of those things that remained in my heart.

I played Quake online… to the point that I was turned off online play forever (I am looking forward to cooperative play in Overload — anyway, I hope). Game-wise, I suppose I am a retro-gamer, although I do not have a lot of time between work and family.

I am giving this a chance now since everyone seems cool in this new community, hope to play with you soon.

bemosabemosa
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 39
    Replies: 240

Howdy everyone!
    Long time descent fan but not a member of any clan or crew πŸ™‚
    I’t has been a real thrill watching the entire kickstarter and I get the sense that the descent community is a wonderful one, the devs and fans alike seem like a really nice bunch of people. I am looking forward to being a part of it all.
    I have a big interest in making maps, although I do not have much map making experience (only 3d graphics experience and tinkering years ago making doom maps I think it was). Hoping I can rise to the challenge, and make some connections with other map makers and overload enthusiasts πŸ™‚
    R.

Rex705Rex705
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 0
    Replies: 2

Hello everyone Rex705 here πŸ™‚ Descent was one of my first PC games on my first PC when I was a kid. I don’t think i ever finished a Descent game and could never get 3 to work but I played them a bunch over the years. Never did get into multiplayer I had no clue how any of that worked on a PC back then.

I backed Descent Underground in hope that the Descent name would live on and show the world that we still want it and the 6-DOF genre. I was very happy when I found Overload and backed it right away. my hopes were granted. During the 24 hour live stream I was flooding the internet with word of Overload getting people to come in and pledge while talking with everyone on stream and in kickstarter chat. PR work is hard and stressful stuff against a dead line but it was fun talking with everyone so not all bad.

May Descent live on forever!

RedOmen
    Participant
    Replies: 5

So many memories!
    My introduction to Decent was walking into a book/video/game store in ’94(?) and seeing a PC running Descent1 in demo mode and being completely blown away by the fully 3D levels and bots. I spent all night downloading the demo on AOL dialup and managed to get it running on my poor 486 with a custom DOS bootdisk. After playing it for a week I spent another full day uploading it to the local BBS and then getting an excited message from the sysop about how amazing it was.

Eventually I talked a friend into splitting the cost for the full game so we could take turns playing it.
    We dreamed all the time of playing it multiplayer but living in a rural area without access to any IPX networks led to extreme measures.. first it was 2 player null modem, then paying out the nose to play it long distance on DWANGO BBS. And then I heard about this little program that was only $20 called Kali.net and the rest is history! πŸ™‚

CDN_MerlinCDN_Merlin
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 15
    Replies: 243

KALI!!!!!!!!

Cheeseness
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 3
    Replies: 22

My name’s Cheese. I’ve spent a lot of time playing D1, D2 and D3, but have never played any of them online until getting into D1 (rebirth) co-op with RedOmen over the last couple of months.

Descent 2 was also my first VR game. I got to play 10 minutes on a mid 90s era HMD that had the HUD turned off and headtracking hooked up to joystick input. It was far from ideal, but I was blown away and I’ve been chasing that experience since ^_^

I helped do some initial testing of the Overload’s Linux build before it was released to backers and look forward to being a part of this community πŸ™‚

PigmyRhinoPigmyRhino
    Participant
    Replies: 7

PigmyRhino here, Deleted my topic that introduced me because I didn’t see this topic last night… lol

Lt. Commander of Blue Lightning Squad – Descent Rangers.
    Gamer
    Musician
    I enjoy long walks on the beach

Nice to meet all of you.
    “Yeah yeah, Hi” to those of you I already know πŸ˜›

Lt. Commander – Blue Lightning Squadron (Descent Rangers)

http://www.descentrangers.com

krayzkrokkrayzkrok
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 10
    Replies: 185

I’ve been posting a bit, so I’d better introduce myself. I used to play D1/D2 on Kali95 when I lived in the UK, then moved to Australia and basically went offline for a couple of years. I played D3 single player, but never got back into the online community. In the UK I went by the username “Caiman”. Turns out that’s quite a popular username, so I’m now krayzkrok (pronounced “crazy croc”, as in “kray-zee-krok”). I’m probably the only Descent player with a 16 ft crocodile in his back yard.

When Kickstarter became a thing for video game funding, I knew there was only one game that I really wanted (ok, two actually, but that’s beside the point!). I waited, and I waited, and I thought perhaps it will never happen. Then D:U came along and I was… rather disappointed. So I was extremely stoked when Overload arrived, basically the thing I was waiting for all along, and so great to see the core Parallax team back together for this.

TOR-RavenTOR-Raven
    Participant
    Topics: 0
    Replies: 2

Raven of TOR has entered – I still pop on Kali from time to time. Glad this thing is making progress!

Can’t wait to maybe form up some teams and have some old-fashion clan wars πŸ™‚

DuperDuper
    Participant
    Replies: 10

Duper here!

β€œThe cat was already dead when I got there.” -Curiosity

DuperDuper
    Participant
    Replies: 10

doh.. wrong post.
    Heya Merlin! ^_^

β€œThe cat was already dead when I got there.” -Curiosity

Next Unread Topic:
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 35 total)

Forums are currently locked.

Previous Topic: Story Next Topic: Pyro-GX