The discussion has moved over to Discord

Home Forums Overload Development SP then MP? OOOH – bad.

RSS Feed

Tagged: 

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 61 total)
  • Author
    TwoCablesTwoCables
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 118
    Replies: 1474

Descendent Studios always had SP planned, but they didn’t do a good job of advertising it on their Kickstarter page – and they humbly admitted it in their KS YouTube videos! They said they learned a lot about how to do a good campaign from actually doing their campaign. They even said that even though they weren’t talking about it very clearly on their KS page, the SP campaign was always planned from the very beginning.

I think that “are they, or aren’t they doing single player?” confusion was what held a lot of people off, at least until they clarified it. In fact, I remember the first news report on Eurogamer which described the game as a MOBA! Check this out: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015-03-10-descent-is-being-rebooted-as-a-moba-on-kickstarter

Yes, they did a terrible job at communication at first, and it still dogs them. When I started talking about Overload on another forum I visit, someone asked “Is that the MOBA game, or a different one?”

[edit] Hmmm, sorry I seem to have replied to the wrong person! Forums are hard.

It’s not often I get to talk with people like you who know that they were always a SP and MP game from the very start but that they were just misunderstood and it was all their own fault for not being clear enough on their KS page.

Thank you for posting.

Prepare for Overload…

DarkhorseDarkhorse
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 2
    Replies: 127

Oddly enough it’s this game that the multiplayer crowd are more interested in.

Drakona
    Kickstarter Backer
    Replies: 41

SP first is fine. There’s more than one way to skin a cat, and plenty of SP-ONLY games succeed. Descent had a massive SP fanbase that is worth going after. It’s a different group; the crazy hardcore fans are largely MP types, of course. But that doesn’t mean there isn’t crossover between the two groups or that SP first can’t work.

Dacien
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 8
    Replies: 106

Hi again Descent peeps. Looks like our dreams might come true!

When the kickstarter fails (and it will

I just wanted to point out that you started out pretty warm and optimistic and friendly, and got real cold halfway through.

tueidj
    Participant
    Topics: 1
    Replies: 64

When the original games came out the hardware requirements alone meant MP was a luxury many could not afford.

Haunted ParraspHaunted Parrasp
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 31
    Replies: 428

Honestly I don’t think the kickstarter would have got as far as it already has if this had been announced as a multiplayer-only or multiplayer-first game just because it would have too much in common with Descent Underground… too much overlap in the backer pool means the same people might not want to give more money for a game so similar to what they already paid for.

Ship’s cat, MPSV Iberia
    Check out his original music @ http://vertigofox.bandcamp.com/

EauxcaighEauxcaigh
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 10
    Replies: 62

This guy’s gonna come on the overload forums and claim MP>SP? OOOH – bad. OP get rekt son!

jk, in all seriousness, I agree with the point in that good multiplayer can increase replay value and the longevity of the game. I actually really hope they spend some time really developing a well balanced and exciting multiplayer. However, this cannot, under any circumstances, come at the cost of the singleplayer experience, and the idea of switching the order is, I think, fundamentally flawed.

As others have said, if you’re looking for multi, there are places you can go and get your fix. Single player is something different entirely:

SP is ART, its about the aesthetic style, the feel of the controls, the experience of playing. Well done controls and good gameplay are tools for greater immersion, but the substance lies in the atmosphere in which you’re being immersed.

There’s nothing quite like the adrenaline rush you get from solving mazes in 6dof under time pressure after you destroyed the reactor like a bau5. The exploration of a game like this carries a sense of danger around every corner, but also an allure of discovery of unique spaces designed for 6dof. In SP a world is placed before you and you peel back the unknown as you conquer and map the mazes of caves.

I won’t speak for everyone, but personally, that’s what I’m excited about and why its so promising. There’s an atmosphere about it which can only be described as “descent”. Read the reviews on steam, and watch youtube commentaries: there’s a large group of people who are excited because “THIS IS DESCENT”

sLLiKsLLiK
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 1
    Replies: 24

While multiplayer is a higher priority for me personally, I did play singleplayer pretty extensively as well, especially when the game first came out. There’s a huge fan base of SP (and co-op) lovers that never enjoy the competition or frenetic pace of MP. They’re getting first dibs, just like we all did when the Descent 1 demo came out, and multiplayer will come later. I have no problem with that.

Haunted ParraspHaunted Parrasp
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 31
    Replies: 428

When the kickstarter fails (and it will…

Oh will it? I guess if you say it, it really must be so, then… 😛
    You may want to repeat yourself though, I’m not sure reality was listening to you.

Ship’s cat, MPSV Iberia
    Check out his original music @ http://vertigofox.bandcamp.com/

PumoPumo
    Participant
    Topics: 4
    Replies: 27

When the kickstarter fails (and it will – because it currently needs 68 people an hour pledging $25 each to make the goal)

Overload Kickstarter was a success. It got funded with $306,537. So, you say…? 😛

http://pumosoft.3d-get.de – Pumo Software official Website
    – Pumo Mines progress: 60%

SiriusSirius
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 9
    Replies: 406

lol. Let’s not gang up too much, guys, he did back this game too.

PumoPumo
    Participant
    Replies: 27

Yeah, you’re right.
    It’s just a bit of teasing fun, but nothing serious, all is right.
    After all Mobius is a great guy. 🙂

http://pumosoft.3d-get.de – Pumo Software official Website
    – Pumo Mines progress: 60%

urungusurungus
    Kickstarter Backer
    Replies: 28

Everyone has their own opinions about what should come first and in all honesty my opinion I thoroughly enjoy single player. I love not being able to know what’s next. Yes being in a dogfight with one or more other players is a lot of fun but I do like the creepiness of single player. Playing Descent was like playing Doom for the first time.

StatiCStatiC
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 6
    Replies: 89

I love MP better than SP but I am glad they are doing SP first. This is coming from someone who never even got past level 8 or so in SP on D2 and level 6 on D1 in the 90’s (I am correcting that now btw and going through them). I think it will bring more people to Overload by getting them to play SP and then maybe they will try MP even for those that might not really like MP from previous experiences. I think the game will feel more complete from the get go with a good SP campaign and then add multiplayer.

juris3djuris3d
    Kickstarter Backer
    Replies: 8

“Overload” being Single Player was -the- main reason I jumped into support, and then with playable teaser out, when I felt how much right this game feels, I felt happy. Single Player – it is a story. Probably ridiculously rudimental story to support shooting things, but still. It is a fictional world made specially for YOU (and any other singleplayer). Multiplayer is about competition – I hate to fight for something “to be better than others”. Any pshychologist would tell you that one of cornerstones for happyness is ability to ignore others judgement. Multiplayer is stressful. Singleplayer is exciting joy-stress precisely that amount that you want at any particular moment.
    https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/the-path-passionate-happiness/201405/what-do-happy-people-choose-ignore
    And let’s state obvious: singleplayer people are not-so-social, they don’t have much interaction and they don’t build communities (now there is a “Only Single Player” on Twitter, that’s great), and as a result game developers don’t really “see” us, singleplayer people, they often assume all world is just multiplayer-crazy.
    I appreciate so much what “Overload” developers are doing. Thank You guys!

Next Unread Topic:
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 61 total)

Forums are currently locked.

Previous Topic: A quick survey Next Topic: Gamepad support