The discussion has moved over to Discord

Home Forums Overload Development Surround Displays

RSS Feed
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    hypersonic
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 18
    Replies: 220

Head Mounted Displays (HMDs) are one way to achieve surround video, but not the only way.

Nvidia now has a ‘Simultaneous Multi-Projection’ solution by using just one video card (GTX 1070 or 1080.) With 3 or more displays around you you can actually feel that you’re inside of a cockpit of a space ship, w/o wearing a HMD.

However without head tracking (position and orientation) if you move your real head and your virtual head doesn’t move with it, it’s not as realistic as it could be. Something like Oculus Constellation or Valve Lighthouse could help with that (those don’t have to be coupled with HMDs.) However head tracking with non-HMD is radically different than with HMD since with HMD your eyes are always in the same position relative to the screen, unlike with non-head mounted displays. Such as when you move closer to a window in real life you can see more of the other side of the window. I’m not sure if there’s a solution for this yet at the API level, or how difficult it might be to code this in at the APP level.

What would be totally awesome is surround video + head tracking + stereoscopy (via passive glasses) for the ultimate experience w/o HMDs!

Video of Simultaneous Multi-Projection

hypersonic
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 18
    Replies: 220

Here’s an example of a surround display that tracks the user’s position and renders accordingly. It also seems to have stereoscopic 3D. It would be fun to play Overload in one of these! Though you’d probably wouldn’t walk around the small cockpit, rather just tilt your torso/head while seated.

I believe the GTX 1080 has 3 displayports supporting 3 screens per video card, though I don’t know if it also supports stereoscopic 3D for each of the 3 screens.

Next Unread Topic:
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

Forums are currently locked.

Previous Topic: WebGL versions of classic demos Next Topic: Ideal controller for Descent